Carnoustie - 2018 Open Championship

Wally Fairway

Watched maybe half an hour coverage this morning and I was very disappointed; typical coverage 75% is showing short to medium length putts.
Super disappointed that they showed Jordan hitting into a fairway bunker, but not the shot out, then a shot from the fairway .... I'm watching this to see some of the recovery shots, not the tap-ins.

Rant over - still excited that it is Open Championship weekend.

26 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Watched maybe half an hour coverage this morning and I was very disappointed; typical coverage 75% is showing short to medium length putts.
Super disappointed that they showed Jordan hitting into a fairway bunker, but not the shot out, then a shot from the fairway .... I'm watching this to see some of the recovery shots, not the tap-ins.

Rant over - still excited that it is Open Championship weekend.

If I had to make a guess it is another example of just how good the camera guys employed by our networks really are. They are by far the gold standard in not only locating and tracking a struck golf ball. But doing so while maintaining critical focus through the entire flight of the ball.

I am basing this on comments made earlier this week that those currently running the cameras are not our guys. But a collection of UK/EU camera guys who are members in their own union. And have their own classification standard for who gets to work the championship.

Im sure the word got out because the camera work is far subpar, even when compared to what we see on the web.com tour coverage. And our guys don’t want the blame.

10 minutes ago, Hamttx said:

If I had to make a guess it is another example of just how good the camera guys employed by our networks really are. They are by far the gold standard in not only locating and tracking a struck golf ball. But doing so while maintaining critical focus through the entire flight of the ball.

I am basing this on comments made earlier this week that those currently running the cameras are not our guys. But a collection of UK/EU camera guys who are members in their own union. And have their own classification standard for who gets to work the championship.

Im sure the word got out because the camera work is far subpar, even when compared to what we see on the web.com tour coverage. And our guys don’t want the blame.

It isn't the camera work that I'm complaining about, but rather the production crew (likely the director) who decides what to put on air. It is typically a collection of putts; then again this will change when Tiger gets on the course and they show nearly his every shot.

17 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I turned it on and Jordan was -3 somewhere on the back nine. Looking good. Finished +1. Frustrating to watch. Can’t imagine what it’s like for him. 

top ten golfer in the world that takes an iron off the tee and miss hits it by 50 yards in no wind, he should feel like a moron.

I think the NBC crew is the biggest group of dorks ever assembled. They all seem to to pine for the days of Huey Lewis, putt putt and rolled up jeans. Miller seems like the least of their issues, I for one like his arrogance, its funny

• Like 1

Still not close to catching up with the live broadcast.  Just got to Jordan finishing his round.  Holy hell did he lose it the last few holes.  Hard to believe any professional golfer, much less one with his incredible talent, can lose it that quickly and that badly over a couple of holes.  Yikes. 

2 hours ago, lonestarsooner said:

Still not close to catching up with the live broadcast.  Just got to Jordan finishing his round.  Holy hell did he lose it the last few holes.  Hard to believe any professional golfer, much less one with his incredible talent, can lose it that quickly and that badly over a couple of holes.  Yikes. 

The field is +138 on the first 14 holes.

The field is +184 on the last 4 holes.

Jordan isn't the only one losing it down the homestretch.  It's Carnoustie, the finish is a beast.

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

Ugh. Tiger throwing away what was a solid round. 

He's still good enough to win, but i don't think it happens until next year.

Being good enough to win and actually winning aren't really the same thing though. Tiger was good to enough to win at most majors from 2009-2014 or whenever he had his marital meltdown but didn't win any. Now he's a lot older with more surgeries behind him so I am not really expecting him to ever win another major. I'm sure he'll contend at one or two a year and might even win another but I'm past the point I would actually expect to see it happen again. Its been 10 years.

1 hour ago, Horn21 said:

The field is +138 on the first 14 holes.

The field is +184 on the last 4 holes.

Jordan isn't the only one losing it down the homestretch.  It's Carnoustie, the finish is a beast.

Carnoustie isn't Jordan's problem.  He hasn't been right since last fall when he had the flu.  His problem is between the ears.  Maybe the flu cooked his brain.

1 hour ago, SlingeroGuitaro said:

I would argue he hasnt been right since The Masters 2016. He struggled and wasn't bright enough to play it safe. #12 was the last straw. Yes he won the Open last year, but his poor tournaments in that time span have outweighed his good ones

he started the back 9 with a 6 shot lead or whatever and after birdying 6,7,8 and 9  hit 3 wood off the tee on ten into the right rough, approach shot  in the greenside bunker and bogied the hole, then bogied 11, playing it safe on 10 started the meltdown.

I think it’ll probably be next season before Tiger is ready to really give the majors a go. His swing is as good as I’ve seen it in a decade or longer. If he’s injury free, it’s just a matter of time. That’s assuming he still has that will to win. Because regardless of talent, there are no alpha males on tour besides maybe Koepka. Maybe Reed but he’s not as talented as the top tier.

How can Rose and DJ have one major each with as good as they are? 

15 hours ago, Surlybastard said:

Being good enough to win and actually winning aren't really the same thing though. Tiger was good to enough to win at most majors from 2009-2014 or whenever he had his marital meltdown but didn't win any. Now he's a lot older with more surgeries behind him so I am not really expecting him to ever win another major. I'm sure he'll contend at one or two a year and might even win another but I'm past the point I would actually expect to see it happen again. Its been 10 years.

This is the most he's played in quite some time. The swing is good and he looks pain free, but i didn't have any expectations until next year. I've given up on him winning another major but he should win events on tour.

Lots of rounds that have that feel of "worst score he could have shot given how he played".

Edited by Pam Cummings

Continuing with the coverage complaints, I just watched 30 seconds of Koepka walking across the green and lining up a putt while poulter, just off the same green chipped out of the rough barely out of the frame. 

39 minutes ago, heso said:

Continuing with the coverage complaints, I just watched 30 seconds of Koepka walking across the green and lining up a putt while poulter, just off the same green chipped out of the rough barely out of the frame. 

Yeah, I don't know what the director is thinking about when they choose what to show/what not to show.

I watched some this morning and it seemed like a good mix; seriously I wish there was something like NFL redzone where they would show 5 or 6 different players hitting shots at about the same time. Now that is something that I would pay for, so I didn't have to watch an abundance of putting. My choice would be to watch about 60% approach shots, 25% drives and 15% putting.

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Phil has 3 birdies thru his first 5 holes. 

Tiger is one under for the tourney. Swing looks effortless. 

Let’s see them get into contention and end up in a pairing late Sunday so they can play their $10 million match with a major on the line. 

Decided to watch live this morning instead of trying to catch up 6 hours of DVR.  Really glad to see Zach Johnson put a nice round up and be at the top of the leaderboard.  Have always like him.  Justin just teeing off.  And his first one is right and in the hay.  Should be great conditions for the afternoon groups after the little bit of rain this morning.

2 minutes ago, lonestarsooner said:

Decided to watch live this morning instead of trying to catch up 6 hours of DVR.  Really glad to see Zach Johnson put a nice round up and be at the top of the leaderboard.  Have always like him.  Justin just teeing off.  And his first one is right and in the hay.  Should be great conditions for the afternoon groups after the little bit of rain this morning.

Zach Johnson shows that you don't have to drive it 400+ to play well. One of the best short games around. 

4 minutes ago, lonestarsooner said:

I think you mean Jordan? I do it all the time. Especially when he’s paired with Justin Rose, who is in the fairway. 

26 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

I think you mean Jordan? I do it all the time. Especially when he’s paired with Justin Rose, who is in the fairway. 

Well shit.  Yep, I did mean Jordan.  D'oh!  Watched Justin Rose tee off right after him as I was typing that.  Lol.  Good catch.

It will be interesting to see how the late rounds go, and where the cut falls.
Right now there are 71 players at +2 or better, +3 there are 89 players, and +4 balloons to 108.
So the cut-line projection on theopen.com is currently at +2, but it will certainly go to +3 and if enough carnage happens with late tee times then +4 is possible.
If that happens the 108 number will decrease as many at even to +3 are just getting underway.

FWIW - here is the cut-line for The Open -

• There is just one cut, which takes place after 36 holes.
  • Any player in 70th place or better (including ties) makes the cut and will continue to play the final 36 holes. Anyone in 71st place or worse is cut.