Turntable/amp/passive speakers

I've got a nice old bang and olufsen turntable 40+ years old that has been sitting around for 30 years.  I went to hook it up with the similarly aged tecnnics tuner which is dead.   Have on old passive speaker.  If I get this thing set up I'll probably attach an old Sony carousel CD player.

I'm looking for just simple basic amp/tuner and a couple of small passive speakers to set up.  Room is small -- not looking for power or anything particularly high fidelity.  Just something to play my old records.  Will probably end up using headphones most of the time.  May eventually move this to a larger room but will be in my shitty man cave for now.

Any particular brands of "solid value" components that you all can recommend?  I'm not really interested in radio so I am thinking amp instead of tuner that I can run the iphone through.

That Sony looks great- no frills/ and built-in Bluetooth is a winner.  I'm still rocking a ~2000 era Sony a/v receiver and some Boston Acoustics bookshelves in my garage.

I'd also give nextdoor/ fb marketplace a quick check as well and see if anything pops up. I've seen some decent spec'd a/v receivers that people are getting rid of cheap ($50-$150 range).  They would have a built-in phono pre-amp/ input, and bluetooth depending upon the age.  Guessing a lot of folks are moving to Sonus/ soundbars these days and are downsizing from the old, bulky/ wired stuff.

16 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I've got a nice old bang and olufsen turntable 40+ years old that has been sitting around for 30 years.  I went to hook it up with the similarly aged tecnnics tuner which is dead.   Have on old passive speaker.  If I get this thing set up I'll probably attach an old Sony carousel CD player.

I'm looking for just simple basic amp/tuner and a couple of small passive speakers to set up.  Room is small -- not looking for power or anything particularly high fidelity.  Just something to play my old records.  Will probably end up using headphones most of the time.  May eventually move this to a larger room but will be in my shitty man cave for now.

Any particular brands of "solid value" components that you all can recommend?  I'm not really interested in radio so I am thinking amp instead of tuner that I can run the iphone through.

Why not get the cheapest Denon or Marantz receiver that is made and a pair B&W 607 S3 or older 2-ways? Older subs if wanted are a dime a dozen.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

This lil thing gets consistently good reviews, even from audiophile sites, considering its cost.

https://electronics.sony.com/audio/audio-components/av-receivers/p/strdh190

combine that with this and I think you're got a pretty good start:
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-iTCRhqfxXCf/p_158LX310BT/Sony-PS-LX310BT.html?XVINQ=GZ0&XVVer=17C0&awcr=628296933964&awdv=c&awnw=g&awug=9028309&awkw=pla-744268099901&awmt=&awat=pla&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAiA-bmsBhAGEiwAoaQNmjyykHS78iXmmPwXLqGq-tM2PLwMQhtTZpk7HzSeQdrpric07krCKRoC7B8QAvD_BwE

g158LX310BT-F.jpg

Gotta say, Sony seems to have really upped their game. I am on my 3rd pair of their bluetooth headphones (dropped first pair, second pair got stolen) and they're simply outstanding headphones. Gotta imagine their other audio products are equally good. I've had my eye on that turntable for a couple years now.

Why not get the cheapest Denon or Marantz receiver that is made and a pair B&W 607 S3 or older 2-ways? Older subs if wanted are a dime a dozen.

I went Denon and splurged on the Amp because I wanted it connected HEOS system and I can upgrade speakers etc later. I grabbed a pair of Klipsch bookshelf speakers off of Amazon.

• 2 weeks later...

Had been thinking about replacing my aging Harmon Karden Soundstick computer sound system. Realized I had a couple of high end Bose Bookshelf speakers I'd kept in the closet for the last 20 years. Bought a Fosi Audio mini amp for 75 bucks. Size of a pair of glasses. New system totally kicks ass.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

My son’s setup - IIRC, that’s my old Technics tuner from the 1980s.

D8B91403-1C59-46EB-A97E-BC9A94735A2C.jpeg

That is a sweet looking listening space.

Is that your Lodge cast iron skillet also?  does he use that as some type of effect for his guitar?

Edited by Dish Boggett
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 1/11/2024 at 12:47 PM, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Had been thinking about replacing my aging Harmon Karden Soundstick computer sound system. Realized I had a couple of high end Bose Bookshelf speakers I'd kept in the closet for the last 20 years. Bought a Fosi Audio mini amp for 75 bucks. Size of a pair of glasses. New system totally kicks ass.

Ha, I have that exact same system. I've got duct tape around one of the soundsticks to keep it together. It's just old. Had it on the upstairs iMac that hasn't been turned on in a couple of years. I relocated it downstairs to my home office because the sound on my two monitors blows -- and my MacBook's speakers aren't great. But really what I need is something to power two small bookshelf speakers that are in the media room upstairs. I'm going to get a turntable and wanted to bring those speakers down but didn't have anything to power them with. This might do the trick.

Edited by C-Man

On 1/27/2024 at 6:30 PM, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Holy shit, the replacement MMC cartridges for the B&O turntable are super expensive

Is it some crazy proprietary B&O thing? (Wouldn't surprise me.) Otherwise this is a great chance for you to dabble in different cartridges.