2024 Drunk Thread

Mrs Whiggins

Made orecchiette  with guanciale, rapini, and pecorino romano accompanied with a rather meh bordeaux but after a glass or two everything is coming up roses. Tomorrow is Monday so as Rose Castorini says, "I just want you to know that no matter what you do, you're going to die just like everybody else." (Moonstruck 1987)

• Hook 'Em 1

Goulash (casserole) with pan braised brussel sprouts and a cab that was better than the one the other night. I need to pay more attention to the quality of our bottles but I'm kinda cheap for the table wines. Got the game on but now that it's UWash vs the Cheaters not all that into it cause it's just wrong. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a long couple of weeks and it doesn't appear as if it is going to slow down any time soon.  But it's Friday night and I'm finally at home so I am going to tie one on!! Who is with me??

I guess it’s pretty bad when you miss “popping a top” with the College Game Day intro/show music starting in the background all Fall. I know 8:00 is early, but that was something that got started this season, so frankly it’s hard to quit!

I miss CFB already!

Hook’em!!!

Saw a recipe last week on SM, and it is pretty good. Get a bottle of Simply Limeade, pour out about 75-80%. Add your favorite blanco tequila, one whole jalapeño sliced along the axis into halves. Let sit overnight. Just took a sip and it is really good! But for the womenz coming over later.

• 4 weeks later...

Last summer I went to London. I figured when in Rome, so I was drinking gin and tonics. They were so damn good, I couldn't figure out why they were better there, even when made with Beefeater, than they are when I make them at home or order them in a bar over here. GTs are not my usual drink.  Then I realized it was because they use actual tonic, and not the schweppes shit we use here. So I bought some high dollar tonic and damn, this shit is tasty. 

About to reup here in a few. 

Cheers, yanks. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2024 at 7:29 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

I've been rather teetotally lately because I've been trying to keep the BP low but it was nice to have some wine with dinner tonight. Meatloaf leftovers and a couple of glasses of red and away we go...

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952gxm1mp2njehi4lop2b

Cheers to the fellow Surly drunks!

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Last summer I went to London. I figured when in Rome, so I was drinking gin and tonics. They were so damn good, I couldn't figure out why they were better there, even when made with Beefeater, than they are when I make them at home or order them in a bar over here. GTs are not my usual drink.  Then I realized it was because they use actual tonic, and not the schweppes shit we use here. So I bought some high dollar tonic and damn, this shit is tasty. 

About to reup here in a few. 

Cheers, yanks. 

Definitely. I prefer English gin over all others, but the tonic matters too. When our little lime tree has limes it's just mmmm.

Had a nice red blend glass of wine with some oysters tonight. Very nice. I'm hoping the track stats have no mistakes because my typing tonight is suspect...just a little.

Late mother's birthday today so cooked a nice beef roast with potatoes and carrots and raised a couple of glasses of wine (Bordeaux)  and had a few cocktails (*Green Deacon & Wibble)  in honor of her life and the grace with which she lived it. A votre santé.

*Recipes:

Green Deacon: absinthe, 1 1/2 oz gin, 3/4 oz sloe gin, 1 oz grapefruit juice. Rinse glass with absinthe, add other ingredients into cocktail shaker with ice and shake until chilled, strain and serve in cocktail glass.

Wibble (as in Weebles Wobble but they don't fall down): 1 oz Hayman's Dry Gin, 1 oz Hayman's Sloe Gin, 1 oz Grapefruit juice (recipe calls for pink grapefruit but we use white because it's less sweet), 1/3 oz fresh lemon juice, 1/3 oz créme de mure (we used créme de cassis because that's what we had on hand), 1/6 oz simple syrup (we omit this because again, we prefer things that are less sweet). Add ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice, shake strain and serve.

• Hook 'Em 1

Made beef/hash soup with leftover roast beef, onions, potato and beef broth. It's a family thing I grew up with and dirty Gibson's with cocktail onions seem to work well during the dinner prep so uh yeah, I'm a little wooooozy right now.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Made beef/hash soup with leftover roast beef, onions, potato and beef broth. It's a family thing I grew up with and dirty Gibson's with cocktail onions seem to work well during the dinner prep so uh yeah, I'm a little wooooozy right now.

Outstanding combo! 

• Hook 'Em 1

Alexander Valley Cabernet Franc while cooking some rigatoni tossed with guanciale, tomatoes, onions, garlic and pecorino romano. Bruschetta and buratta baked in the oven for an app for a tomato heavy meal. Had a big salad for lunch so skipped the greens. A bit monochromatic but ya know if you have that second glass of wine that gets overlooked...

• Hook 'Em 1

Literally just Lalo Tequila and Topo Chico.

Clean.

Bubbly.

I guess you can squeeze a lime into it to make a ranch water.... but dammit if I don't just like the taste of the tequila.

Lalo is now just $38 at Total Wine b/c agave prices plummeted.

No better blanco tequila for the price IMO.

I made chicken pot pie from the chicken we roasted a day ago and so that gave us time to make a few cocktails. We were trying out some liqueurs picked up from the local shop. No idea what the names of the cocktails were as I wasn't the 'barkeep.' But gin (my main spirit of choice) along with a cherry liqueur and another drink with peach liqueur. First was gin (Hayman's) with lemon and cherry liqueur (shaken with ice, strained). Second was gin, dry vermouth (Noilly Prat), and peach liqueur. The first cocktail had better flavor because we used Navy strength gin and it overpowered the peach in the second drink which had more gin and less liqueur. I made a wilted lettuce salad to go with the pot pie because the lettuce from the garden is about ready to bolt as the temps climb and boy do i like lettuce pan fried with a little bacon and vinegar. I may be a little wooooozy right now. Ah well, as T.S. Eliot said, "Gin and drugs, dear lady, gin and drugs."

• Hook 'Em 2

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2024 at 9:31 PM, Mrs Whiggins said:

Alexander Valley Cabernet Franc while cooking some rigatoni tossed with guanciale, tomatoes, onions, garlic and pecorino romano. Bruschetta and buratta baked in the oven for an app for a tomato heavy meal. Had a big salad for lunch so skipped the greens. A bit monochromatic but ya know if you have that second glass of wine that gets overlooked...

I've learned not to expect much from a Cabernet Franc.

206567690_sideways_e0975e7b_t800.jpg?902

Edited by Bullneck