Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

That's effectively what UH is doing this season. They'll get two tests against LSU, one against Boise State. Outside of that, they're playing utter dogshit. Their record will look great when Texas comes into town that Friday, less so when Texas leaves that Sunday.

Try to stack wins in non-conf is def a thing but you have to finish .500 in conference. Which typically means you have to steal a game from OU/OSU/Texas and win every single one of your other games. It’s a bad strategy 

10 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Great night at the ballpark.  Nice to see everyone got to play.  

Yes, I actually felt sorry for HCU. 4 innings 14 runs, yikes. But I hope White realizes he better have Hunter or Goode in over Whitaker against quality competition.

10 minutes ago, Hard Times said:

Yes, I actually felt sorry for HCU. 4 innings 14 runs, yikes. But I hope White realizes he better have Hunter or Goode in over Whitaker against quality competition.

White is giving each senior their own midweek game to honor them. It was Whittaker’s last night, that’s why she started 

11 minutes ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

Good move because it looks like the younguns are fixin’ to take the playing time.

Yep. Washington is probably going to lose her spot at 2nd when Goode is back. Mitchell could end up at DP if he’s insistent on Scott playing 3rd. Because Henry needs to be the third OF with Maloney and Dayton. Stewart at 1st, Atwood catching, Vivi at short. That’s the lineup right there 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Washington is probably going to lose her spot at 2nd when Goode is back. 

Agree on the above, but this is the interesting one to me.  If Goode returns to her 1st half freshman season form at the plate, then 100% agree.  But she seemed to struggle at the end of last year and coming off her injury this year doesn't help. She just looks really shaky at the plate right now. We will see.  She's a legit in the infield though.  

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Agree on the above, but this is the interesting one to me.  If Goode returns to her 1st half freshman season form at the plate, then 100% agree.  But she seemed to struggle at the end of last year and coming off her injury this year doesn't help. She just looks really shaky at the plate right now. We will see.  She's a legit in the infield though.  

They are definitely not rushing her back, which is good (no pun intended). 

• Hook 'Em 2

@Js1    When time permits,  pls give us a summary of the tournament this weekend.   Of interest,  what are other sites "in the know" saying about them.  Thanks !

Stanford (5-4) and ULL (6-5).   Stanford has played a tough schedule.       Colorado State normally is also competitive.

LHN schedule indicates they will broadcast the tournament.    ULL vs Stanford,  Friday, 11AM.

11 minutes ago, torre said:

@Js1    When time permits,  pls give us a summary of the tournament this weekend.   Of interest,  what are other sites "in the know" saying about them.  Thanks !

Stanford (5-4) and ULL (6-5).   Stanford has played a tough schedule.       Colorado State normally is also competitive.

LHN schedule indicates they will broadcast the tournament.    ULL vs Stanford,  Friday, 11AM.

I would but I’m headed out of town to Mexico City today. I will barely be able to keep up with scores 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/21/2024 at 1:12 PM, Js1 said:

One thing some of these Big 12 schools have a bad habit of doing is cupcake-y non-conf schedules and then they get destroyed in the Big 12 and miss the tournament

Tech has been infamous for doing this - they'll roll into conference play at something like 26-3 or 28-1 and then finish 5-13 and miss the tournament. 31-22 last year but 5-13 in the Big 12.  You don't typically see Tech, KU, ISU, UH at the big tournaments in Clearwater or Mary Nutter. 

Yes, the Big 12 will get a little easier without Texas/OU, but Utah is good and Arizona/ASU have access to that good Cali talent. 

Very true, but both of those tournaments are invitationals and I’m not sure those teams have the draw to get invited. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, torre said:

Stanford’s offense is a problem. They saw a lot of Kavan’s rise, so don’t be shocked if they see either Citlali or Morgan this time. We will face an elite pitcher in Canady this time, as she had just pitched the Tenn game and shut them down, so we didn’t face her  

Louisiana has been disappointing. Dropped a game to Cal, two to Miss St and 2/3 to Baylor. Will still probably win the Sun Belt but not as strong as they could be. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Good tournament.   Should be a good crowd,  ULL normally has a great following.

• Friday, Feb. 23
    • Stanford vs. Louisiana (11 a.m. CT) – LHN
    • Stanford vs. Colorado State (1:30 p.m. CT) – LHN
    • Louisiana vs. Texas (4:00 p.m. CT) – LHN
    • Colorado State vs. Texas (6:30 p.m. CT) – LHN
  • Saturday, Feb. 24
    • Louisiana vs. Colorado State (11 a.m. CT) – LHN
    • Louisiana vs. Stanford (1:30 p.m. CT) – LHN
    • Colorado State vs. Texas (4:30 p.m. CT) – LHN
    • Stanford vs. Texas (7:00 p.m. CT) – LHN
  • Sunday, Feb. 25
    • Colorado State vs. Stanford (10 a.m. CT) – LHN
    • Louisiana vs. Texas (12:30 p.m. CT) – LHN 
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, torre said:

Good tournament.   Should be a good crowd,  ULL normally has a great following.

• Friday, Feb. 23
    • Stanford vs. Louisiana (11 a.m. CT) – LHN
    • Stanford vs. Colorado State (1:30 p.m. CT) – LHN
    • Louisiana vs. Texas (4:00 p.m. CT) – LHN
    • Colorado State vs. Texas (6:30 p.m. CT) – LHN
  • Saturday, Feb. 24
    • Louisiana vs. Colorado State (11 a.m. CT) – LHN
    • Louisiana vs. Stanford (1:30 p.m. CT) – LHN
    • Colorado State vs. Texas (4:30 p.m. CT) – LHN
    • Stanford vs. Texas (7:00 p.m. CT) – LHN
  • Sunday, Feb. 25
    • Colorado State vs. Stanford (10 a.m. CT) – LHN
    • Louisiana vs. Texas (12:30 p.m. CT) – LHN 

Just to let people know in case they expect to see all the games on LHN, the games that overlap baseball won't be on LHN unless they're on tape delay. For sure the 6:30 tonight, not sure about all the rest, but there's probably more. Baseball gets priority.

Henry flies out

Cimusz for Maloney  flies out

Dayton base hit

Scott base hit

Dayton scores when Scott gets in a run-down

Scott safe at 2nd

Stewart ground out

To the top of the 7th

Texas 5-0

Edited by Iguana
  • Hook 'Em 1