Texas Softball 2024 - Farewell to the Big 12 (and back to OKC?)

Js1

49 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Don’t forget OU graduates 10 seniors this year. Texas should be one of the best in the SEC next year, along with UF (underclass heavy team as well)

UF will be good with the return of Rothrock, but Walton is a dick and will undoubtedly find some way to screw up the team chemistry. They also lose Skylar Wallace which is a big hit in the middle of the infield and batting order.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I think White has to find a way to get Hunter into next seasons line up. Her bat is going to be a big part of protecting Stewart and Atwood next season. Team should still be really fast, and Hunter will provide some added pop.

Unless she’s a total liability somewhere like LF, you could move Scott to LF, Mitchell to 3B or DP and Hunter to 3B/DP

Edited by Js1

7 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I think White has to find a way to get Hunter into next seasons line up. Her bat is going to be a big part of protecting Stewart and Atwood next season. Team should still be really fast, and Hunter will provide some added pop.

Agree.  I have no idea what her defense is like, but she has shown flashes with the bat.  I think 3rd is her primary position. I'm not sure she is fast enough to play OF (she looks thicc), but who knows. 

Mia's flexibility and improvement on defense is a real asset to her and the team.  She could easily slide back to the OF if needed or stay at 3rd.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Scott, Henry and Maloney would be the fastest outfield in the NCAA next year. I also suspect we may lose a couple of the girls to the portal who hope to find more playing time.

1 minute ago, bschoolprof said:

Agree.  I have no idea what her defense is like, but she has shown flashes with the bat.  I think 3rd is her primary position. I'm not sure she is fast enough to play OF (she looks thicc), but who knows. 

Mia's flexibility and improvement on defense is a real asset to her and the team.  She could easily slide back to the OF if needed or stay at 3rd.  

She looks like Xavier Worthy in the face, but I don't think she runs like him. LOL

• Haha 2

Just now, FloridaHorn said:

Scott, Henry and Maloney would be the fastest outfield in the NCAA next year. I also suspect we may lose a couple of the girls to the portal who hope to find more playing time.

Agreed as well.  I'm thinking Katie C (real shame if so IMO), Vanessa Q., maybe Ryan Brown.  

Agreed as well.  I'm thinking Katie C (real shame if so IMO), Vanessa Q., maybe Ryan Brown.  

I hope not Katie C. You still need a functional bench and Katie is perfect in that role. Promise her a start at first base every week and the first pinch hitter on the bench. Some players do stick around to win a title and this Texas team next year has just a good a chance as this year, if not better. 

I agree on these three, especially Brown who may decide to get closer to home and find playing time as well. I could see her ending up somewhere like UTC or MTSU, where she could be a star with her power numbers.

5 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I was shocked to see Ole Miss beat Kentucky last night. The SEC as a whole is down this year....Tennessee is capable of beating anyone with their pitching, but the decline after them is quite steep.

Tenn has sucky hitting.  Kentucky has sucky pitching.

22 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

I was shocked to see Ole Miss beat Kentucky last night. The SEC as a whole is down this year....Tennessee is capable of beating anyone with their pitching, but the decline after them is quite steep.

You were shocked?!  Pretty much went Greenspoint when OM went yard in 1st inning. 

7 minutes ago, FloridaHorn said:

Ole Miss has been shitty for 10 years. Shocked that Kentucky laid an egg like that in the SEC tournament 

It was the #12 v #13 matchup so on paper it was almost a coin flip. Kentucky finished with the 2nd worst record in the SEC while Ole Miss had the worst record. Bad year for UK

2 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

It was the #12 v #13 matchup so on paper it was almost a coin flip. Kentucky finished with the 2nd worst record in the SEC while Ole Miss had the worst record. Bad year for UK

Yeah, a 3.83 team ERA will do that.  No one had an ERA better than 2.76

Dead last in the SEC in ERA

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Don’t forget OU graduates 10 seniors this year. Texas should be one of the best in the SEC next year, along with UF (underclass heavy team as well)

OU's All Big 12 selections:

Sr, Sr, Gr, Sr, Sr (First Team)
Sr, So, Fr, Sr (Second Team)

Texas' All Big 12 selections:

So, So, Fr, So, Jr (First Team)
Fr, So, Fr (Second Team)

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

Don't bring her name up during these good times.

F'n thief.

You know Cat watches these recent Texas teams and just shakes her head.  If she could have had half the bats this team has...

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

As far as recruiting how is Texas doing in that aspect??

Seems like Mike White can get/find talent wherever he goes rather he was in Oregon or even now in Texas. 

Anyone know how we're doing in that aspect?

5 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Top 13  LSU VS Bama  2-2

LSU pitcher at 200 pitches!

I've been watching this thing for a couple hours, wondering how on earth nobody on either team can hit a fair ball hard. Good pitching, but come on. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, D3zii said:

As far as recruiting how is Texas doing in that aspect??

Seems like Mike White can get/find talent wherever he goes rather he was in Oregon or even now in Texas. 

Anyone know how we're doing in that aspect?

Texas is doing very well in recruiting

#12 class in 2022
#4 class in 2023

Not sure where 2024 will be ranked, but Salmon is #5 in Softball America and #4 in EIS (top or near the top of the pitching prospects) and Brister is #34 in EIS (small class because we are only graduating 4 players) 

Hannah Wells (2025) is seen by some services as the #1 pitcher in the class and ranked in the top 5

It's not just pitching - Steve Singleton deserves a huge raise; someone is going to try to steal him. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas is doing very well in recruiting

#12 class in 2022
#4 class in 2023

Not sure where 2024 will be ranked, but Salmon is #5 in Softball America and #4 in EIS (top or near the top of the pitching prospects) and Brister is #34 in EIS (small class because we are only graduating 4 players) 

Hannah Wells (2025) is seen by some services as the #1 pitcher in the class and ranked in the top 5

Cool, I was just wondering. Don't really see softball class rankings just laying around. 

11 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I've been watching this thing for a couple hours, wondering how on earth nobody on either team can hit a fair ball hard. Good pitching, but come on. 

I can’t believe we let this LSU team score 7 on us 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I can’t believe we let this LSU team score 7 on us 

The way we were sleepwalking in several phases of the game around that time (and on a tough travel schedule), I guess I'm not shocked we stunk it up in BR. But I'd welcome another crack at them. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

The way we were sleepwalking in several phases of the game around that time (and on a tough travel schedule), I guess I'm not shocked we stunk it up in BR. But I'd welcome another crack at them. 

Yeah, that was after the UH trip and we were in a funk. They wouldn’t want to face us now 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 1

The Houston/BR road trip was probably the low point of our season. Close second would be the 2 shutout losses in Stillwater. Other than that though, we lost a tough low scoring game against Stanford’s ace, one close game to then #1 OU, and the remaining 45 games have all been wins. Hell of a regular season 🤘 

• Hook 'Em 4

57 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It's not just pitching - Steve Singleton deserves a huge raise; someone is going to try to steal him. 

This X 1000...This is the first Longhorn team in my lifetime that I have seen make in bat adjustments. Players seem to go to the plate with a plan and be able to execute the plan accordingly. Being able to make those adjustments is what made OU so good for so long. You could get them once or twice, but they were ready for you the next AB. Singleton is going to kill it at some point as a HC.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Also - Reese watch:

Texas career HR Record: Hoagland, 58 (Reese is at 32 already in her sophomore year)
Texas career RBI record: Thom, 178 (Reese is at 126 already in her sophomore year)

Reese has passed Desiree Williams (113), Janae Jefferson (114) and Jodi Reeve (123) and is now #7 all time.  She's only 6 RBI off of Nadia Taylor for #6. 
Her 32 home runs ties her with Nadia Taylor and Tallie Thrasher for #9 and one more would tie her with Courtney Craig and Desiree Williams for #7. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, FloridaHorn said:

This X 1000...This is the first Longhorn team in my lifetime that I have seen make in bat adjustments. Players seem to go to the plate with a plan and be able to execute the plan accordingly. Being able to make those adjustments is what made OU so good for so long. You could get them once or twice, but they were ready for you the next AB. Singleton is going to kill it at some point as a HC.

Never forget Kerry Shaw 😂 and then we wondered who tf this Steve Singleton guy was 

2 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Auburn vs Georgia 2-2 Top 14

Second 14 inning game of the first day of the SECT. Just means more?

If SC-MSST only goes 7, there will have been 6 games’ worth of innings played today