Iowa Republican Caucus Thread - 1/15

Neonmoon

9 hours ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

People didn't show up b/c they knew the outcome was a foregone conclusion.  Every damn one of them will show up and vote for the Orange Cunt in the general election. 

I hear this, but also Trump was begging for a show of support. The lack of "obedience" is the story here

3 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, there's a bit of irony here.  When this cohort was more center-right (i.e. shaggy), there was a lot of condemnation of low-information voters favoring the left (or, possibly more accurately, the pandering pol/policy of the day, which was often something "free," e.g, "free shit army").  Now, it's the same condemnation, but of low-information voters favoring the right, or Trump's version of it.  And, to be fair, these low-info voters are much lower than we thought they were (voting for free shit is one thing, voting against your economic interest because brown or queer is quite another).

There is an anti-democratic streak running through all of us that are more educated than most.  But the right is willing to pretty openly indulge that, and the center left is not.

I don't think of them as "low information" voters. I call them, low humanity voters, because that's what they are.

• Hook 'Em 2

On a scale of low numbers don’t matter because virtual incumbency to low numbers means no enthusiasm, I’ve talked myself into the latter.  These candidates poured record amounts into this and clearly told their supporters they expect them to come out.  Nothing on the ground was telling people to rest because it is foregone conclusion.  This people were inundated with ads pleading them to come out.  I think it matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

That's just sad on several levels.   I don't want anything to do with Vivek either but the average American can't tell the difference between someone of Indian descent vs. Saudi.  

Worse, I'm thinking the average American doesn't give a shit about telling the difference between someone of Indian descent vs. Saudi

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

On a scale of low numbers don’t matter because virtual incumbency to low numbers means no enthusiasm, I’ve talked myself into the latter.  These candidates poured record amounts into this and clearly told their supporters they expect them to come out.  Nothing on the ground was telling people to rest because it is foregone conclusion.  This people were inundated with ads pleading them to come out.  I think it matters. 

I’m hoping NH turnout is significantly lower than 2016 as well.  Then we’re definitely onto something.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

Have you taken a look at the educational demographics on who votes for who lately?  

I thought my edumifacation was supposed to make me more smarter so I knew how to carry the naughts…

Whom

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, there's a bit of irony here.  When this cohort was more center-right (i.e. shaggy), there was a lot of condemnation of low-information voters favoring the left (or, possibly more accurately, the pandering pol/policy of the day, which was often something "free," e.g, "free shit army").  Now, it's the same condemnation, but of low-information voters favoring the right, or Trump's version of it.  And, to be fair, these low-info voters are much lower than we thought they were (voting for free shit is one thing, voting against your economic interest because brown or queer is quite another).

There is an anti-democratic streak running through all of us that are more educated than most.  But the right is willing to pretty openly indulge that, and the center left is not.

I dunno. Thirty-three years ago, I was making fun of the center-right for not seeing the bigger picture that fascism was coming their way and was the future of their party with Pat Buchanan, Newt Gingrich, and Rush Limbaugh leading the charge.

During the Obama administration, what was happening was even more evident with astroturfing the racist and xenophobic "Tea Party" movement as an anti-tax movement. Hell, "What's the Matter with Kansas?" was published in 2004. I'm sorry if they didn't see it by then, but that's on them.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, grazinhorn said:

Worse, I'm thinking the average American doesn't give a shit about telling the difference between someone of Indian descent vs. Saudi

There are plenty of ignorant white people who think all "non-whites" fit into 3 categories: Mexican, Chinese or Muslim. And a certain percent will use other phrases to describe those 3 categories.