Iowa Republican Caucus Thread - 1/15

Neonmoon

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Some excuse balloons being floated 

image.thumb.jpeg.a7d5781fc455b340530ecc0221221925.jpeg

Is the insinuation here that they are caucusing to vote against dotard or switch parties to vote for him because they’ve “seen the light”?

6 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Some excuse balloons being floated 

image.thumb.jpeg.a7d5781fc455b340530ecc0221221925.jpeg

Is the insinuation here that they are caucusing to vote against dotard or switch parties to vote for him because they’ve “seen the light”?

Just now, longhornmatt said:

Rick Santorum uses this as his profile pic on Grindr.  He focus grouped it, and it turns out he's approximately 900% more attractive when immediately compared to Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee than if you just see a picture of him by himself.

Fucking gross 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Rick Santorum uses this as his profile pic on Grindr.  He focus grouped it, and it turns out he's approximately 900% more attractive when immediately compared to Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee than if you just see a picture of him by himself.

My biggest issue with Grindr is, for some bizarre reason, Rick Santorum is always just 500 yards from me.  do I need to update the app or my life?  

30 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

IMG_9240.jpeg

The fact that GQP voters would be ignoring one of their evangelical leaders (Bob Vander Plaats) in choosing Trump tracks with the article I posted a few days ago, which was its primary thesis: traditional church leaders are noticing that they're losing their flocks to the cult of Trump, and that is redefining what it means to be a "Christian".

A quote from one supporter summed it up by saying something along the lines of "Trump is our savior -- he's the only one who can help us."

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Consider how stupid the average Iowa Republican caucus goer is.  Then consider that the average student in Iowa scores 1208 on their SAT, the average Texas student 978. 

Greg Abbott Sport GIF by UFC

• Haha 3
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It's cringeworthy every election cycle when someone spends all their time in Iowa visiting every podunk county for months on end, but it's definitely been the most pathetic this year.  Just ... why?  You know you aren't going to win.  And at least in past times maybe you could raise your profile even if you lose and down the line make some money as a commentator hack.  But running now just means you become persona non grata to a bunch of crazy people who want to punish you for running against their cult leader.

Think about all the time, money, and overall resources gone to waste campaigning in that shithole

5 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Pretty ballsy for the pushers of high fructose corn syrup to accuse someone else of poisoning the blood of the country.

Not to mention they have lost their collective freedom to and are de facto slaves of companies like ADM.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It may not be the same article - I think the one I'm thinking of first started circulating a few months ago - but this coming from one of the (former) top guys in the Southern Baptist Convention was pretty eye-opening:  https://www.npr.org/2023/08/08/1192663920/southern-baptist-convention-donald-trump-christianity

I always kind of assumed they had some cognitive dissonance thing going on where they would just refuse to acknowledge that Trumpism isn't particularly Christian.  But it turns out they will even just explicitly reject the teachings of Jesus Christ because ... politics.  Which makes it pretty dubious to even call them "religious" or "Christian" at all, but I digress.

I recall that piece. It wasn't the same article, but that was pretty much the gist. In the one I was talking about, I think there was also a nod to some of the language Trump and his supporters are now using about him suffering for them, referring to his legal troubles.

Very messianic stuff. It truly is getting into cult territory where their politics (if you can even call it that at this point since there really aren't many policies per se) is supplanting their religion. I'll see if I can track it down to repost for you.

21 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The fact that GQP voters would be ignoring one of their evangelical leaders (Bob Vander Plaats) in choosing Trump tracks with the article I posted a few days ago, which was its primary thesis: traditional church leaders are noticing that they're losing their flocks to the cult of Trump, and that is redefining what it means to be a "Christian".

A quote from one supporter summed it up by saying something along the lines of "Trump is our savior -- he's the only one who can help us."

I hope he loses and they all kill themselves. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Totally random story, but I don’t care.  I was real curious about how Florida would vote in 2018. I really wanted to see the dems get a major governor seat in the south. Obviously it didn’t work out very good.

i remember watching this news report where they had a mixture of Florida voters and the guy most loyal / Republican to Trump was this 60 year old white dude who said everyone needs to “ get out of the way” and “ let trump fix everything”.  Total delusional trumper.

3 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

Totally random story, but I don’t care.  I was real curious about how Florida would vote in 2018. I really wanted to see the dems get a major governor seat in the south. Obviously it didn’t work out very good.

i remember watching this news report where they had a mixture of Florida voters and the guy most loyal / Republican to Trump was this 60 year old white dude who said everyone needs to “ get out of the way” and “ let trump fix everything”.  Total delusional trumper.

Wonder where he got that idea.

34 minutes ago, bolverk said:

A true FAAFO for the religious right.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

If tracking percentage is to be believed, there will be approximately 120k votes tonight, down significantly from 2016, 60kish.  

From CNN:

Iowa Republican officials are sounding the alarm about the prospect of lower-than-expected turnout at tonight’s caucuses, with snow- and ice-covered roads across southern Iowa and parts of eastern Iowa that could diminish participation.

One top GOP adviser tells CNN that the turnout of 2016 — 186,000 — “will almost certainly not be reached.” Fresh projections are closer to the 2012 campaign cycle turnout of 121,000.

In 28 of Iowa’s 99 counties, there is only one caucus locations, which means some voters will have to drive considerable distances. Tonight, Iowa’s geography will come into play, as the Trump campaign is hoping for a broad-based showing in rural areas, while Nikki Haley is focusing on suburban communities, with far less driving distance involved. Ron DeSantis is working toward a hybrid of both, putting his yearlong organization to a critical test.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

During the football game ABC just flashed a graphic showing that like 70% did not believe that Biden’s win was legitimate. We’re so unbelievably fucked. 

The mainstream media continues to cover a race involving Donald Trump as politics as usual.

And so it goes.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

From CNN:

Iowa Republican officials are sounding the alarm about the prospect of lower-than-expected turnout at tonight’s caucuses, with snow- and ice-covered roads across southern Iowa and parts of eastern Iowa that could diminish participation.

One top GOP adviser tells CNN that the turnout of 2016 — 186,000 — “will almost certainly not be reached.” Fresh projections are closer to the 2012 campaign cycle turnout of 121,000.

In 28 of Iowa’s 99 counties, there is only one caucus locations, which means some voters will have to drive considerable distances. Tonight, Iowa’s geography will come into play, as the Trump campaign is hoping for a broad-based showing in rural areas, while Nikki Haley is focusing on suburban communities, with far less driving distance involved. Ron DeSantis is working toward a hybrid of both, putting his yearlong organization to a critical test.

I was sort of hoping for this, in a sense to me it's a false positive for them.  They will spin the turn out to be entirely about the weather, but I think that simply isn't the case.  In my opinion this is a disaster of a showing for the Republican party.  If they are trying to imply that they had 33% no show due simply to weather is a ridiculous assertion.  There are several things going on here:

1.  Let's be charitable and say half of that 60k is weather related, so a 30k no show due to weather (would still imply a 20% loss in total turnout excluding the weather).

2.  Many of their turn out 2016 are frankly dead, either due to natural expiration, or Covid.

3.  They've lost people people due to their extremism, which are a ripe for us to pick up votes.

As I said, this is a disastrous showing for the Republican Party, no matter how they and the media spin it.  I'm encouraged about our collective prospects after this.  The media will bullshit their way around this and not even mention it, but the truth is Trump needed every single nutbag he could get in 2016 to barely squeak by, and frankly, he doesn't have it 2024, not even close. 

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

I can easily go months without seeing Santorum's name, but every time I do, I immediately laugh to myself about the alternate definition of santorum willed into being by Dan Savage. Its an immediate association every time  I see that choad. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Exit poll has 65% of Rs agreeing that Joe Biden’s election was stolen, mas o menos. I just don’t see how the country survives that sort of cultish irrationality for so many. Please, prove me wrong!

That tracks with the Iowan's who showed to specifically to vote with Trump, nothing else.  These are the people out of reach for Democratic votes not matter the situation.  Good news, the numbers directly show they are shrinking, and shrinking pretty significantly.  It would be far more troubling if suddenly 250k people showed up and it polled that way, but that isn't what happened, they are down by a full 1/3.  

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

That tracks with the Iowan's who showed to specifically to vote with Trump, nothing else.  These are the people out of reach for Democratic votes not matter the situation.  Good news, the numbers directly show they are shrinking, and shrinking pretty significantly.  It would be far more troubling if suddenly 250k people showed up and it polled that way, but that isn't what happened, they are down by a full 1/3.  

How much was turnout hampered by weather? 

Edited by Degenerate Gardner