Fire Rodney Terry

MuellerHorn

3 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Well, first of all you don’t selectively look at a coach’s overall success based on a single factor like “conference record” unless you want to argue that Bill Self is an average coach because he has a 10-8 Big 12 record

This is just plain stupid. 

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

This is just plain stupid. 

It's not at all stupid.  First, we're 0.500 in what is far and away the most difficult D1 basketball conference.  That doesn't immediately imply "average".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I have implied that as if having that kind of record is good enough. I see people bending over backwards to justify why RT is a good coach by using numerous convenient qualifiers. I just don't understand the rationale.

Where?  Where are the quotes?

I mostly see people either (a) criticizing him or (b) saying he's done an OK job under the circumstances.  Most (like myself) say they would have never thought him a legit candidate for the UT job if it weren't for Chris Beard's idiocy.

Edited by jimmyjazz

44 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Every time we win a game or two, the pro-RT crowd comes out pumping their chest and claiming some kind of victory. It's as if winning a few games or having a .500 record in the conference is all we strive for at Texas. So far, RT has done just about what most of us had predicted him to do this year. He has been an average coach (except last year) all his career and he once again has an average record (9-9 in conference). One side is going by results and data, and the other side is resorting to emotions. Wait until he wins something before claiming victory. Until then nothing has changed.

This conception of a pro- RT crowd is misguided and foolishly binary. If we accept your simplistic worldview, who comprises the anti-RT crowd? I can’t even believe I engage with such stupidity. I am a Horns fan pulling for Rodney Terry to usurp John Wooden because that means success for the team. Get fucked sideways

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

It's not at all stupid.  First, we're 0.500 in what is far and away the most difficult D1 basketball conference.  That doesn't immediately imply "average".

We played absolutely nobody outside of the conference. We sit below the midway point in the conference standing. If that doesn't say average, you prove my point regarding the pro-RT crowd.

Defending a stupid argument also makes you stupid. He is equating Bill Self, who has own mutiple titles, to RT. Self arguably hasn't done an above average coaching job this year but it doesn't make him a bad coach (nothing will given what he has accomplished). RT on the other hand hasn't proven himself yet.

Anyway, I am done here. Carry on.

Edited by UTEE97

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We played absolutely nobody outside of the conference.

Well, UConn and Marquette might not agree with your hot take.  Granted, they both beat us, but we played them.

We sit below the midway point in the conference standing. If that doesn't say average, you prove my point regarding the pro-RT crowd.

You need to return your engineering degrees.  We are tied for 7th in a 14-team conference, with 6 teams above and 6 teams below.  How is that "below the midpoint"?  Yikes.

Bye.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, UConn and Marquette might not agree with your hot take.  Granted, they both beat us, but we played them.

You need to return your engineering degrees.  We are tied for 7th in a 14-team conference, with 6 teams above and 6 teams below.  How is that "below the midpoint"?  Yikes.

Bye.

So we lost to two good teams out of conference and that somehow justifies we are above average? Oh you got me on sitting below the midpoint comment. 

54 minutes ago, Reality Check said:

Well, first of all you don’t selectively look at a coach’s overall success based on a single factor like “conference record” unless you want to argue that Bill Self is an average coach because he has a 10-8 Big 12 record.

The holistic regular season record (20-11) and, more importantly, the NET ranking (25) show he did not have an “average” year.

Yeah, this is just a terrible argument by @UTEE97.9-9 is not "average" in the Big 12 which is why Texas is #23 in Kenpom, #19 in T-rank, and #25 in NET.  Texas is also top 20 in Q1 wins which = quality wins. 

FYI, Chris Beard went 59-48 in the Big 12. Do you think he's average? The same coach you constantly dick suck. 

53 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I see people bending over backwards to justify why RT is a good coach by using numerous convenient qualifiers.

Convenient qualifiers like "After leading Texas to the Elite Eight, his second-year squad is ranked No. 25 in the NET rankings that the NCAA uses to select the tournament field"?

That kind of bending over backwards? 

1 hour ago, UTEE97 said:

Perhaps you should work on your reading comprehension. I didn't say those were the exact quotes. I have implied that as if having that kind of record is good enough. I see people bending over backwards to justify why RT is a good coach by using numerous convenient qualifiers. I just don't understand the rationale.

RT will get 3 years minimum to prove himself. If he gets us to the tournament during his tenure, I am happy. I would also say that perhaps he is a better tournament coach than a regular season coach. Pehaps he will keep taking us deep in the tourney. We don't have enough data point for that. I will be very happy if that's what he turns out to be.

I think I said somewhere earlier in the thread that RT will win enough to hang around until year three. After that, he either gets an extension or moves on. 
I don’t think he has what it takes to be a difference maker as a coach and program head based on past history. But, he will get a chance to prove otherwise. 
Last years team was designed to make a deep tournament run. They were mature, good and smart. He certainly could have screwed it up and for the most part he kept things moving. I just think last years team had a couple more tournament games in them that better coaching and some better luck certainly would have helped out with. Beard said as much in my presence (that his first year team was designed to make a run in year 2) and that part of that was the struggles that took place in his first year. Adding Rice was a big part of it as it filled a hole that emerged in year one. Having a healthy Disu was another. 
RT will have to do some really heavy lifting for next year and will have some tough decisions to make. I don’t think we are going to be able to solely rely on two freshman so he’s going to have to really build around them. I think what he does this off season will determine his future.  
I certainly don’t begrudge those who are bullish on RT. I’m just a bit mystified by the certainty they express. 
I’m just not seeing it in his history but that’s why they play the games. 
Our non conference schedule was terrible this year except for two games and we lost them both.  He could have gone a long way in silencing his critics by beating UCF and WVU. 

Edited by CTC2
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

So we lost to two good teams out of conference and that somehow justifies we are above average? Oh you got me on sitting below the midpoint comment. 

We are above average because every single metric has Texas ranked inside the top 25 out of 362 college teams. Are you serious? 

Just now, Rickylovesweed said:

We are above average because every single metric has Texas ranked inside the top 25 out of 362 college teams. Are you serious? 

Good thing you don’t need math in engineering anymore 

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I mean almost every measure used to quanitfy at-large teams into the NCAAT has Texas as an above average team this season, but by all means continue your stupidty.

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, this is just a terrible argument by @UTEE97.9-9 is not "average" in the Big 12 which is why Texas is #23 in Kenpom, #19 in T-rank, and #25 in NET.  Texas is also top 20 in Q1 wins which = quality wins. 

FYI, Chris Beard went 59-48 in the Big 12. Do you think he's average? The same coach you constantly dick suck. 

If RT is your preferred dick, you be you. I am not here to win internet points. I stated what I believed. Prove me wrong with results on the field. We are average in our conference - that's indisputable. Were you thinking that I meant we were a national average team? There are a lot of D1 teams and I would think that any coach could make us better than the national average.

43 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

We played absolutely nobody outside of the conference. We sit below the midway point in the conference standing. If that doesn't say average, you prove my point regarding the pro-RT crowd.

Defending a stupid argument also makes you stupid. He is equating Bill Self, who has own mutiple titles, to RT. Self arguably hasn't done an above average coaching job this year but it doesn't make him a bad coach (nothing will given what he has accomplished). RT on the other hand hasn't proven himself yet.

Talk about "using numerous convenient qualifiers."

Is it Rodney Terry's fault that Louisville tanked this year? 
You do realize Connecticut is poised for a No. 1 seed in the tournament, right? 
You do realize Marquette is poised for a No. 2 seed in the tournament, right? 

LSU is a 17-14 SEC team; not great, but again, not an "absolutely nobody."

Again, the overall result of the Texas basketball team's regular season is a 20-11 record and a No. 25 ranking in the NET. Saying Top 25 is "average" is ridiculous.  

And Shadow Operative started the Bill Self comparisons. So take that up with him.

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Good thing you don’t need math in engineering anymore 

These are the people that are annoying to argue with. If you don't think RT is the right guy to get Texas to a final 4 or win conference championships make that argument. 

To argue this Texas team is not even "average" is fucking stupid. 

5 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

I certainly don’t begrudge those who are bullish on RT. I’m just a bit mystified by the certainty they express. 

Who exactly is "bullish" on RT?  We're stuck with him.  I would think most UT fans would be rooting for him to succeed.  That doesn't mean they think he will.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

If RT is your preferred dick, you be you. I am not here to win internet points. I stated what I believed. Prove me wrong with results on the field. We are average in our conference - that's indisputable. Were you thinking that I meant we were a national average team? There are a lot of D1 teams and I would think that any coach could make us better than the national average.

I'm far from a RT supporter. I'm also not an idiot that tries to argue being #19 in T-Rank, #23 in Kenpom, and #25 in NET is "average." 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Who exactly is "bullish" on RT?  We're stuck with him.  I would think most UT fans would be rooting for him to succeed.  That doesn't mean they think he will.

Mr Reality Check sure seems to think so. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Anyone that strays from the Rodney Terry fucking sucks group think is by their accounts bullish. They also think that Terry can only be judged successful in their eyes if he makes the Sweet 16 every year, something that Bill Self is slightly better than 50/50 at accomblishing. They also think that a coach that was 0-4 in the NCAAT with a .595 overall winning percentage before last year was an elite coach. They also think that a coach that has had two complete seasons of less than 10 losses is currently Top 5 in the sport.

Edited by HtownHorn

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

In 4/6 years Chris Beard went 6-12, 9-9, 9-8, and 10-8 in the Big 12. 

Do you think he's average @UTEE97

No, you are right. CB sucks as a coach.

Yes, those stats are average if you look at them without considering what CB has done in his career. I didn't argue that they were not. It doesn't change the fact that we have had an average record this year. You can overlook this if we go deep in the tourney.  

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

And, despite the fact that I believe it was a huge lost opportunity when RT was hired, it has not dissuaded me from committing not insignificant amounts of my money on trying to help the program succeed. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

No, you are right. CB sucks as a coach.

Yes, those stats are average if you look at them without considering what CB has done in his career. I didn't argue that they were not. It doesn't change the fact that we have had an average record this year. You can overlook this if we go deep in the tourney.  

It's almost like going 9-9 and 10-8 doesn't make you an average coach/team in the Big 12. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's almost like going 9-9 and 10-8 doesn't make you an average coach in the Big 12. 

You are what your record says without the qualifiers. We are an average big 12 team proven by our record. But if you're happy thinking we are better than average, be my guest. 

Edited by UTEE97

You are what your record says without the qualifiers. We are an average big 12 team proven by our record. But if you're happy thinking we are better than average, be my guest. 

You're changing your argument. Your initial argument about "average" was not specific to the Big 12. 

Also, you're just a moron. Those Beard teams that finished 10-8 or 9-9 were not anywhere close to average if you looked at the advanced metrics. The same applies to RT.  This is just a really dumb way to frame things. 

Imagine thinking that Beard's 10-8 in year 1  that finished #15 in Kenpom was an "average" team. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

You're changing your argument. Your initial argument about "average" was not specific to the Big 12. 

Also, you're just a moron. Those Beard teams that finished 10-8 or 9-9 were not anywhere close to average if you looked at the advanced metrics. The same applies to RT.  This is just a really dumb way to frame things. 

Imagine thinking that Beard's 10-8 in year 1  that finished #15 in Kenpom was an "average" team. 

My metric is to consistently win the games you are supposed to. Be competitive in the ones you are not supposed to win, sneak out maybe a few of those at home, and be in the running for conference championships. If you do that, things pretty much take care of themselves over time. Some years will be better than others but over time, your accomplishments tell you how good a coach you have. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It's such a bad argument. 

He thinks Texas going 18-0 in the MEAC would mean more than 9-9 in the Big 12. Your record is not what your record says. This is like 5th grade level thinking. 

I always compare myself with my peer group. By that logic, UT's peer group is the rest of the Big 12. We have an average record against them. This is the most objective metric. Outside of the conference, we have lost to good teams we played and beat terrible teams, which again doesn't make us above average. Tourney will give us another opportunity. 

Don't be that internet tough guy. I am sure I have you beat in every meteic in life. Feel free to message me privately.

• Fuck You 1

I always compare myself with my peer group. By that logic, UT's peer group is the rest of the Big 12. We have an average record against them. This is the most objective metric. Outside of the conference, we have lost to good teams we played and beat terrible teams, which again doesn't make us above average. Tourney will give us another opportunity. 

Don't be that internet tough guy. I am sure I have you beat in every meteic in life. Feel free to message me privately.

Again, you're a moron.

This is a terrible way to evaluate a team, especially on the basis of "average." The Big 12 has 9 teams in the top 40 of Kenpom. Comparing yourself to a peer group that's inclusive of a bunch of teams that are way above average is my exact point. Going 9-9 in a conference with a majority of teams way above average does not make you an average team. 

Good lord. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. What a cunty little thing to say.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Ah yes, don't be an internet tough guy, because that's my role. message me for more details. What meteic(s) are you counting here?

Edited by HtownHorn

4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Ah yes, don't be an internet tough guy, because that's my role. message me for more details. What meteic(s) are you counting here?

If it’s anything like the metrics he uses for basketball, it’s literally just his own delusion.

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Again, you're a moron.

This is a terrible way to evaluate a team, especially on the basis of "average." The Big 12 has 9 teams in the top 40 of Kenpom. Comparing yourself to a peer group that's inclusive of a bunch of teams that are way above average is my exact point. Going 9-9 in a conference with a majority of teams way above average does not make you an average team. 

Good lord. 

Hey idiot. This is what I originally wrote: "He has been an average coach (except last year) all his career and he once again has an average record (9-9 in conference)."

You have moved the goalposts, not me. I said he had an average conference record and he had been an average coach throughout his career. I know winning the internet gets in the way of critical thinking, but Jesus, we have some bonafide rabid idiots. You are not worth my brain cells, so I will put you on ignore.

Edit: I am not the type to keep receipts or go back and read people's past posts, but I seem to remember you were so adament about Keyontay George sucking. Every chance you got you told us how terrible he was. Nice call!

Edited by UTEE97
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Imagine thinking finishing in the top half of the Big 12 and top-25 in NET is average. Lololol.

You may expect more at Texas, but it isn’t average.

This is a good point.  Expectations are higher.  Perhaps unrealistic year over year, but certainly every couple of years or so.

It may be a reach in men's basketball, but CDC did set the bar at every sport being top 10 nationally.  In basketball, that's blueblood territory, but that is the "expectation".

33 minutes ago, HookEm said:

Imagine thinking finishing in the top half of the Big 12 and top-25 in NET is average. Lololol.

You may expect more at Texas, but it isn’t average.

Imagine not having reading comprehension because you're too busy apologizing for the coach. Prove my post wrong - the one I wrote, not what your fellow apologists (we are not pro RT but we like to defend him any chance we get) made up. Lololol

Pro-RT crowd is back at peak euphoria after beating OU at home. I get it. 

Edited by UTEE97

36 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

T-Rank #19

Kenpom #23

NET #25

EvanMiya #20

Haslametrics #23

BPI #21

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

@UTEE97"objective metrics" outside the top 150

Do you still think BYU doesn't deserve a top 25 ranking, or have they played enough good teams by now?

35 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Do you still think BYU doesn't deserve a top 25 ranking, or have they played enough good teams by now?

They're definitely worthy of a top 25 ranking but I don't think that was ever really my point. My point was they were drastically over-ranked by NET and would finish around  .500 in the Big 12. 

I would say I pretty much called BYU and OU's Big 12 season correctly on this page. Although, BYU still finished a bit better than I thought at #12 in NET and 10-8 in the Big 12. But their non-conference schedule of blowing out bad teams plays a big role in them only dropping from #4 in NET to #12 in NET. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

3 hours ago, UTEE97 said:

Imagine not having reading comprehension because you're too busy apologizing for the coach. Prove my post wrong - the one I wrote, not what your fellow apologists (we are not pro RT but we like to defend him any chance we get) made up. Lololol

Pro-RT crowd is back at peak euphoria after beating OU at home. I get it. 

Are you a child?  You continue to argue against points you make up.  You are not reading the room well, at all.

I have a suspicion of what is going on here, and no, it's not that you're a troll.  It's a little more nuanced than that.  Congrats on your degrees and your pay stubs.

• Hook 'Em 1