Each Generation’s High School Movie

Neonmoon

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

Would you prefer we have a female mascot like they do?

I don't have a preference either way.  I was simply addressing the other post about messing with bulls.

Our Masked Rider goes both ways, with regard to gender.  No judging here.

14 hours ago, dogbreath said:

Being a member of the trailing boomers, After School specials were a big thing in the late 70s.  Reading Writing and Reefer was one of these. 

Gen X'er here who also watched after school specials in the early 80s, which gave us a young Helen Hunt in Desperate Lives, high on angle dust jumping out of a window, designed to scare the shit out of us about drugs.  And seriously, shows like this did just that to a young South Austin.

I remember 2004-2005 vividly from the VY years. No matter how old you were the guys were watching 40-year old Virgin, White Chicks, Anchorman, and Friday Night Lights while the ladies were watching Mean Girls, The Notebook, and The Butterfly Effect. This was the time when T9 text messaging started to take off but smartphones wouldn’t exist for a few more years. ”The” Facebook had just been invented but you couldn’t use it without a .edu email address. I can’t believe this was 20 years ago. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, South Austin said:

Gen X'er here who also watched after school specials in the early 80s, which gave us a young Helen Hunt in Desperate Lives, high on angle dust jumping out of a window, designed to scare the shit out of us about drugs.  And seriously, shows like this did just that to a young South Austin.

Helen Hunt played Murray’s daughter on the Mary Tyler Moore Show in 1977. And you could actually recognize her.

25 minutes ago, MrBig said:

I remember 2004-2005 vividly from the VY years. No matter how old you were the guys were watching 40-year old Virgin, White Chicks, Anchorman, and Friday Night Lights while the ladies were watching Mean Girls, The Notebook, and The Butterfly Effect. This was the time when T9 text messaging started to take off but smartphones wouldn’t exist for a few more years. ”The” Facebook had just been invented but you couldn’t use it without a .edu email address. I can’t believe this was 20 years ago. 

So now the thread is just “Hey, remember when?”

I love this site.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, MrBig said:

This was the heart of my undergrad years and this is spot on.

• 2 months later...

I haven't read through the whole thread, so I'm sure all of these have been mentioned.

It's hard for me to nail down "the" movie of my generation's high school but in the top 2 would be:

The Breakfast Club

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Back to the Future

In the running:

St Elmo's Fire

Weird Science

Ghostbusters

Honorable mention:

Purple Rain

Class