Bernie Sanders 2020 Watch

Dropout

I know Hugo and the other useless garbage shitlibs love to obliquely reference identity politics as an attack against my beautiful, rumpled, ancient husk of a grandfather, Bernie.

But here's the test: How much time do these candidates give to marginalized voices on their stages?

Speaker #1 in Chicago: Black, LGBT, 18-year-old woman speaking on behalf of NoCopAcademy

Name the other candidate who would have multiple speakers go on before him/her to talk about black youth being victimized by police?

(If Nina Turner was running for president I'd pull a Tonya Harding on Bernie and steal all his money and give it to her.)

Edited by bad_teammate

11 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

I know Hugo and the other useless garbage shitlibs love to obliquely reference identity politics as an attack against my beautiful, rumpled, ancient husk of a grandfather, Bernie.

But here's the test: How much time do these candidates give to marginalized voices on their stages?

Speaker #1 in Chicago: Black, LGBT, 18-year-old woman speaking on behalf of NoCopAcademy

Name the other candidate who would have multiple speakers go on before him/her to talk about black youth being victimized by police?

Reveal hidden contents

(If Nina Turner was running for president I'd pull a Tonya Harding on Bernie and steal all his money and give it to her.)

Yeah, I don't know what the last line about other candidates having multiple speakers on to talk about Blacks and the police really has to do with anything.  Sanders doesn't come out ahead because he had those speakers and other candidates shouldn't be vilified because they didn't have those speakers.  That's what makes this interesting is every candidate is different in some way. 

However, it should also be noted that Sanders had a Black voter problem in 2016 so one can see why he had those speakers.  It's also why he was on The Breakfast Club (Black radio show where the listeners are Black/Latin and between the ages of 18-mid 30s) this morning and I'll be honest--I was impressed with his interview.  He is not my first choice, but if he's the candidate I will support him 100%. 

I'm also seeing push back on Twitter about his reparations answer from this mornings interview.  I do think he was caught off but his answer was essentially no he doesn't support it because then how would we pay Native Americans for what happened to them?  Wasn't too flushed out, but I think this is an answer he needs to nail down no matter what side he's on. 

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

Yeah, I don't know what the last line about other candidates having multiple speakers on to talk about Blacks and the police really has to do with anything.

It indicates the difference between being a pro-POC candidate as a means to win vs being a pro-POC candidate as a means to improve the lives of marginalized people. Even bigger than that, though, is that it is bottom-up vs. top-down; letting activist voices lead the candidate's direction vs. the candidate choosing activists who craft a careful electoral message.

It's the difference between, "We're going to have a national dialogue about race!" (which means nothing) vs. "We're going to end cash bail, expunge marijuana possession records, and redirect money from the military to low-income neighborhood programs." (which would materially and emotionally improve the lives of minorities).

Individual voters are free to not care about that difference, but that's the difference.

However, it should also be noted that Sanders had a Black voter problem in 2016 so one can see why he had those speakers.

He had an older black voter problem. He basically tied with Hillary among black voters under 30. Hillary ANNIHILATED him (like, 90-10) among black voters over 60.  I know some around here get triggered by talking about numbers and stats and electoral maps, but numbers are numbers and they teach us important things.

1) Those voters are going to be 4 years older.
2) His appeal to the new group of young black voters will pull them in.

And yes, there is no doubt his campaign is making an effort to appeal to black voters now; working much harder at it now than the 2016 campaign. But here are the real questions: Is it genuine or not? Is it a reflection of his actual values or is it a cynical ploy to get votes? Does he believe these things? Does his history prove he believes these things?

Each voter will have to figure out those answers for themselves, but I think the answers are pretty clear.

I, personally, believe that he is a supporter of racial justice. I think his history and his policies and his actions for workers bear that out.

I think he didn't make race central in his 2016 campaign because he's old as hell, he didn't enter with a plan to actually win, so he hired longtime DC political operatives (who recently left), he didn't want to bring up his own past in civil rights because it might appear like a cynical attempt to exploit the memories of those who suffered more than him in an attempt to gain power, he's a class-first thinker, and Vermont has a black population of 1.2%.

Libs are big fans of "learning", and Bernie is clearly learning how to operate outside the Northeast/Midwest.

I'm also seeing push back on Twitter about his reparations answer from this mornings interview.  I do think he was caught off but his answer was essentially no he doesn't support it because then how would we pay Native Americans for what happened to them?  Wasn't too flushed out, but I think this is an answer he needs to nail down no matter what side he's on. 

Reparations are a very interesting question and, as he says in the interview (which I hadn't seen but just watched), people are not actually clear on what it even means. He declined to attack the cynical way some seem to be using it by saying they support "reparations" without even knowing what is meant, which was good (Bernie doesn't do negative attacks on his Dem opponents), but he was too quickly dismissive of cash payments.

Now, cash payments alone is a terrible reparations policy. Cutting a check to every African-American citizen doesn't really make much sense in terms of meaningful impact and determining the logistics of who gets a check seems like an absolute nightmare.

He focused on institutional changes that would alleviate the still-lingering impact of slavery and institutional racism, and this makes a lot more sense.

How to actually talk about it, however, he needs to work on.

Just now, bad_teammate said:

People like Hugo would rather have Bernie run as an independent and guarantee that Trump gets a second term than see the Democratic Party win and move center-left.

It tells you a lot about what their values actually are.

No, we'd rather he run in Vermont as a Democrat.

Questions for the Bernie Bros:

What would a Bernie Sanders Presidential Cabinet look like? 

What kind of people would you expect him to appoint as ambassadors?

Who would be his secretary of defense?

What kind of judges would he appoint? 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

31 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

What would a Bernie Sanders Presidential Cabinet look like? 

According to him, it will reflect the diversity of America. Women and minorities.

What kind of people would you expect him to appoint as ambassadors?

Given that he's not an establishment figure and not a rich man, likely people perceived to be experts. Similar to how Obama chose many of his.

Who would be his secretary of defense?

lol, you whine like a bitch when asked what Kamala Harris's map is but you're worried about Bernie's secdef?

Concern troll harder.

What kind of judges would he appoint? 

Ideally, Commies

Great news... FOR BERNIE!

I can't wait for Mayor Pete to start climbing these polls. Right now name recognition is obviously a dominating factor for Biden and Sanders

In the crosstabs, which you have to sign up for, he's doing better among black voters (28%) than he is among white voters (25%).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bad_teammate said:

Great news... FOR BERNIE!

I can't wait for Mayor Pete to start climbing these polls. Right now name recognition is obviously a dominating factor for Biden and Sanders

In the crosstabs, which you have to sign up for, he's doing better among black voters (28%) than he is among white voters (25%).

that's bad for Bern in the southern states.

Bernie Bro is fake news. What was the intent behind this label? Insinuate only white bros are inspired by Bernie? Why? To what end? What a bullshit label.

https://www.vox.com/2019/3/7/18216899/bernie-sanders-bro-base-polling-2020-president

An analysis of recent polls from November of 2018 to March 2019 shows Sanders is more popular with people of color than white people, and women like Sanders as much as men do, if not more. He leads every other possible 2020 contender with Latino voters and lags behind only Joe Biden — who hasn’t announced a bid yet — with African-American voters. Sanders’ polling numbers with black voters are double that of Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA), according to a March Morning Consult poll.

Support for Sanders is split evenly between men and women, and he polls better than every other 2020 contender with Hispanic voters, with 21 percent saying they’d vote for him if the election were held in January. He picked up 12 percent of African-American voters, far behind Biden’s 33 percent but just ahead of Harris’s 11 percent, and leaps and bounds ahead of Booker’s 6 percent.

But in this poll, Sanders’s support is driven by voters ages 18 to 44, more so than any other candidate in the race right now. The older, and wealthier, the voter gets, the less interested they are in Sanders. These results are consistent with five national polls between November 2018 and March 2019 — and with exit polls from 2016 primaries.

Edited by Dropout

On 3/2/2019 at 8:33 PM, Anastasis said:

Hugo is morphing into the thing that he claims to  hate. Active measures and disinformation. 

Its actually not an evolution. He’s been running the play since he showed up to shaggy from tiger droppings. 

How does this story end?

Bernie warning about climate change in 1989, saying the media should be covering the Greenhouse Effect

MY MAN

[edit]

More oppo-research from that behatted doofus motherfucker that actually makes Bernie look super awesome

Edited by bad_teammate

But I don’t like this.

67873fbac02fbc27a28360b60b903d94.jpg

Enough with the rehashing and complaining and implying 2016 was rigged.

I’m taking my own advice and I’m not going to get into the same debate about why that super delegate conversation is a red herring.

And as he himself says, the power of the super delegates has ended.

Everyone is saying Hillary and her supporters should shut up. Fine. How about everyone else shut up about her and quit making us do a rewatch of 2016.

I didn’t like it the first go round; reruns are even more unbearable.

• Like 3

If you guys are genuinely concerned that Bernie is out there spending an hour a night attacking Hillary Clinton, I would invite you to watch the speech(es).

It's less than a minute in a one-hour speech. He doesn't mention her by name. He doesn't even accuse her of doing anything wrong. He doesn't say anything that isn't true.

2016 happened. It mattered then and it matters now. Trying to create some kind of memory hole in order to protect the wounded feelings of last year's loser is completely insane.

But you guys apparently want nothing more than to pick at your own raw nerves. Look at Ruby Cramer's Twitter feed. Y'all seriously need to learn how to pick sources.

Edited by bad_teammate

*spends entire 2020 campaign tone policing campaign speeches to make sure proper respect for Abuelita is maintained*

"I'm not crazy, you're the crazy one!"

[edit]

Who am I kidding, we could be in Year 8 of the Sanders Jihad and this same crew of Hillary fanatics would be combing through transcripts looking for slights against I'm With Her.

Edited by bad_teammate

"I know where I came from!" was a POWERFUL line in that Brooklyn speech and I'm glad to see them build on it.

And this one is also a killer.

"I did not come from a family of privilege that prepared me to entertain people on television by telling workers, 'You're fired.' I came from a family who knew all too well the frightening power employers can have over everyday workers."

22 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You're a shitty ambassador for Bernie. You make me like him less. 

1 hour ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Shitty people make for shitty ambassadors. 

An ambassador is appointed. I doubt Bernie sent bt here to lecture anyone. Letting someone influence a decision like who you think should be President is weak. Let alone someone you dislike on a message board.

35 minutes ago, Dropout said:

Letting someone influence a decision like who you think should be President is weak. 

BT's been taking notes from 2016. He has a whole file of LGBTQ Bernie coloring books that he will deploy as active measures on surlybevo when the campaign really heats up.  

• Like 1