Chelsea 2018-2019: Sarri, not sorry

RichUT

2 hours ago, MoJames said:

So apparently we are throwing around the idea of not asking for a freeze on the ban and just serving it as it is felt unlikely that we will have any decrease in the ban length. There is some thought that we go Pulisic and have enough depth with the young guys that we will be in a decent spot next season and there aren't any targets right now that we would likely get if we did get a freeze on the ban.

So we would have Pulisic, Pedro, Willian, and CHO (when healthy) for winger.  Mount, Kova, Kante, Barkles, Jorgie, and RLC (when healthy) for mid.  Emerson and Alonso on the left.  Azpi and James on the right (ship off Zappa).  And Luiz, Rudi, Andreas, and Tomori or Zouma at CB.  Our big issue, of course, would be ST.  Giroud, Tammy, and Michy is not a combo I want to see in Sari's system.  

Bakayoko might be back at this point. And how can you just ignore Drinkwater.

But yeah, ST will be interesting, specifically if we don't bring back Higuain (who I don't want back).

Wonder what Rudiger's timeline is on coming back.

10 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I think they said Rudi would be ready before the beginning of next season.  I'm not sure how Bakayoko fits in--maybe a backup to Kante?  But we aren't going to be scoring much if we don't get a better ST, we lose Hazard, and both CHO and RLC are out until late Fall.  

Well we aren't getting a better ST, as we haven't had a better ST outside of Costa since Drogba regardless of a transfer ban.

Let's just all put our faith in 2 over 30 wingers and a bunch of midfield players that can't shoot.

Mount please be the second coming of Lampard.

On 5/19/2019 at 3:18 PM, MoJames said:

Ffs

https://mobile.twitter.com/siphillipssport/status/1130184791125614594?s=21

I mean I dont know that Sarri is the answer but should we just toss Lanpard in the meat grinder?

Nope, but that would be par for the course with the board.

Hire coach with completely different and difficult to learn system that doesn't match our roster 3 weeks before the season: check.

Only buy one transfer who understands the system: check.

Only take an old, fat striker on loan in January despite an impending transfer ban: check.

Fire new coach despite finishing top four and possibly winning Europa: check.

Hire new coach who has one season of managerial experience just because he played here: check.

Way to completely fuck over the team, the fans, and Lampard if they do that.

Latest from di marzio

As Juventus search for a new manager, their eyes are set on two favorites for the position. The first being Simeone Inzaghi. In fact, Paratici met with the Lazio manager last week in Piacenza, a discrete meeting far away from anyone's eyes. A sign that Inzaghi is a favorite for the position. The Juve director asked for his availability, to which Inzaghi has said yes as coaching the bianconeri is a unique opportunity.A decision is anticipated. Inzaghi is under contract until 2020 and all parties need to reach an agreement before anything can happen. 
The other favorite for the position is Maurizio Sarri. The Chelsea manager is under contract until 2021, but the club have already decided to change coaches and hire Lampard. Claudio Lotito, meanwhile, is stubborn and will be harder to convince. 

On 5/20/2019 at 8:05 PM, MoJames said:

Latest from di marzio

As Juventus search for a new manager, their eyes are set on two favorites for the position. The first being Simeone Inzaghi. In fact, Paratici met with the Lazio manager last week in Piacenza, a discrete meeting far away from anyone's eyes. A sign that Inzaghi is a favorite for the position. The Juve director asked for his availability, to which Inzaghi has said yes as coaching the bianconeri is a unique opportunity.A decision is anticipated. Inzaghi is under contract until 2020 and all parties need to reach an agreement before anything can happen. 
The other favorite for the position is Maurizio Sarri. The Chelsea manager is under contract until 2021, but the club have already decided to change coaches and hire Lampard. Claudio Lotito, meanwhile, is stubborn and will be harder to convince. 

Trade Sarri for CR7 who says no

On 5/17/2019 at 1:04 PM, Longhornfan1024 said:

I think they said Rudi would be ready before the beginning of next season.  I'm not sure how Bakayoko fits in--maybe a backup to Kante?  But we aren't going to be scoring much if we don't get a better ST, we lose Hazard, and both CHO and RLC are out until late Fall.  

RLC tore his Achilles. He ain't coming back in 2019. Best case would be spring 2020. 

Sarri on N'Golo Kante's injury: "He had a little problem on Saturday. A very little problem with his knee. The problem is just the timing because we have only four days. We are trying but it is not really serious... we have problem of 3-4 days to recover"

Sarri confirms that Kante will have a fitness test tomorrow. Not ideal preparation but it shows his importance.

Sarri says Kante is 50/50 to play in the Europa League final.

Sarri on how bad it would be to lose Kante: "We are in trouble with the midfielders, at the moment we have only three midfielders for the three position, for us N'Golo is really important. He is the only defensive midfielder that we have."

Sarri on being without Kante's impact: "I hope to recover him as I know that without N'Golo, for us, is a problem."

Sarri says he will speak to Chelsea at the end of the season after being questioned on Juve's interest: "At the moment, we think of the final."

Sarri on being pressed on his Chelsea future: "You know my opinion, my opinion is the same as the last press conference. Today, I need to speak only of the final and my players need that I only speak of the final."

Sarri on Chelsea's season: "We did a wonderful season, last season Chelsea wasn't in the UCL, now it is in the UCL. We played in the final in a competition against Liverpool + Spurs.

Sarri on Baku fans travel issues: "I don't know what to say about the problems. You have to ask UEFA and the clubs, but I am very disappointed because we do this job for this kind of match. So we hope to see our fans here."

Sarri on whether this is the biggest match of his life: "This match for the media is probably the most important of my life, but maybe not for me. I don't know. For me, there may have been a more important match in Serie B."

Sarri on Hazard: "It is a pleasure during the match, sometimes during the week it is a problem. You know Eden is one of the most important players in the world. He can improve, he has to become the best in the world. He has the characteristics to be the best"

Sarri on why managing Hazard can be a problem: "It is a problem because he is a talent and sometimes it is boring for him because everything is very easy."

Sarri on Giroud starting tomorrow: "I have to consider him because he has played very well in the Europa League and scored a lot of goals. In this competition Olivier was very important for us so I have to decide."

Sarri on accomplishments at CFC: "At the beginning of the season it was very difficult to understand my players and their mentality. After a difficult January, they started to change in February. At this moment, I love them. I have 22-23 wonderful men & players"

Sarri adds that he has to consider his love of English football and his squad on a decision to stay or leave. There's a game tomorrow and one going on after...

Now Azpi and Luiz

Azpilicueta on Sarri's love comments: "We feel, we have been working from July hard with him. We have had ups and downs, a period where we were not happy with the results. From the downs we have become a stronger group."

Azpilicueta on squad harmony: "I think tomorrow we have a good opportunity to be happy altogether with the manager, now is not the time to speak about speculation and we want to focus on the game."

Azpilicueta on working with Sarri: "We did it all together, the manager first as soon as the game has finished."

David Luiz on Sarri's love comments to his squad: "It is about working hard everyday and knowing someone. He is someone with a great passion for football. He has this feeling and we have this also." Adds, "I think everybody believes in his idea."

Sarri asked about Essien living in Baku: "Michael is a good guy, great legend. If he is here, then it is because it is good”

Azpilicueta on Arsenal having more pressure because they need top-four finish: "I don't agree that we don't have the pressure. We are Chelsea, everytime we start the season, we want to win every trophy."

Luiz on not winning a trophy is a failure: "I think it isn't a falilure if you don't win a trophy but it is a failure if you don't fight for titles.”

David Luiz on how Chelsea recovered from the awful winter period: "I think we understood. We understood the moments and where we are and how to grow and improve. That's how we did it."

David Luiz philosophical on Sarri and the squad's improvements: "If you are intelligent, you can adapt and understand the moments. If you are not intelligent, then you never change."

Luiz on the importance of winning the UELfinal "It is going to remain in history on who is going to win. Like every year, people will speak about who wins these titles."

David Luiz on 11pm local time kick off: "You need five days to change your jet lag so for us the game is at 8pm, we only arrived recently, we are on UK time. But it is not an excuse.”

Azpi on Arsenal having a trophy parade planned and not one at Chelsea: "They have to plan for this, hopefully we can ruin it. Hopefully we can win it. Just because we didn't plan a parade it doesn't mean we are not hungry to win it."

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Welp, won Europa, 3rd in the League, and Champions League coming up.

[RichUT]That was a good win and all, but we are about to fire our manager, lose our best player and have a transfer ban with an inept front office[/RichUT]

I mean, both are true.  I'll enjoy it while it lasts, though.  

Welp, won Europa, 3rd in the League, and Champions League coming up.
[RichUT]That was a good win and all, but we are about to fire our manager, lose our best player and have a transfer ban with an inept front office[/RichUT]

I’ll take it after last year.

Well, I came to share my quick thoughts but Mo already did that for me. Not too far off, really.

Winning the Europa league is sorta like winning the NIT and so it’s not anything I would typically assign any value to. The fact that it keeps Arsenal out of the UCL last year changes the calculus somewhat, so it was satisfying that we blocked them even though our spot was already secure.

I’ll savor that aspect of the win, as I’m not optimistic that there will be a lot to look forward to over the coming months.

58 minutes ago, MoJames said:

I'm on team Sarri for next season. Hes all in on the team and his type of changes generally take atleast a season to initiate. Jorginho was great yesterday and the team looked crisp.

Check out this build up. https://streamable.com/o2oka

I want to see what he can do with more time to implement his system and with the support of the board to get players that fit within that system.  IIRC, he did better in his first PL season than either Pep or Klopp.  But with the transfer ban and our board being filled with nincompoops, that latter is unlikely to happen anytime soon so I worry he is doomed to fail here even if he could succeed elsewhere with the right support.