School me on the Gulf Coast for Spring Break (MS/AL)

BlueGreySky

So my wife worked for 4 years in Biloxi, MS after college doing a Teach for America type program.  She's always wanted the family (2 sons, age 13 and 7) to take a trip down there for a vacation.

This spring break looks like it can happen.  We'd prefer not to head as far east as the FL panhandle to avoid college and HS spring break (I swear half of the entire state of  Indiana goes to FL for spring break).  

My only real other experience and knowledge of the Gulf is New Orleans, having family there my whole life and visiting often until my mid-20s. 

One recommendation given to us was Dauphin Island - it looks like something we'd prefer - more low key, outdoor stuff, good food, beaches, and good weather.  I just have no frame of reference if it is like Branson, MO and a tourist trap for old people and Ned Flanders.  If you know about the island, fill us in; or if you have other recs, fire away.

Edited by BlueGreySky

The lady in the office next to me has a family place on Dauphin Island.  I can ask her for any pro-tips on that specifically.

Generally, I would say that anything down that way (Miss / Bama / FL panhandle) the weather can be a complete crapshoot for Spring Break.  Your "beach" vacation could be exactly what you think of (nice weather, etc.) or it could be 42 degrees and windy as hell.  I've had both experiences down there at Spring Break and the bad weather variant really puts a damper on the week.

Edited by orange dream

We spent a day in Biloxi on the way to one of those Panhandle resorts (probably Rosemary Beach).  I would say the quality of sand & water in Biloxi is a bit down from those farther east.  Not bad, not Texas Gulf oil slick bad, just not quite at the level the Panhandle beaches are known for.  Can't comment on the town much per se, we stayed at a very nice hotel but it was just a one-night deal and we didn't get out much.

If you're willing to drive as far as Panama City, I would recommend going another 40 miles or so to Cape San Blas.  Right across the bay from Port St. Joe.  Much less crowded than any beach to the west will be.  

• Like 1

My in laws live inland from gulf shores/orange beach area. I haven’t been there during spring break but there are lots of condos scattered along the beach. If you’re just looking to sit by the water then it’s not a bad area. Some decent restaurants nearby too. Will probably be more families than college kids except the bros at the Florabama.

It's been a while (early 2000s) since I've been to Dauphin Island, but it was pretty rural at the time. So if you're looking to escape crowds, it's a good place to be. But if you're looking to escape crowds, why are you going anywhere on the Gulf Coast during Spring Break?

I live in Mobile Alabama now for the last year or so this is right in my backyard. I’ve seen a couple of folks mention Dauphin island. It is super chill, I drive there to go fishing on the regular. The water is semi clear and the sand is white. You can walk out a loooong ways on the west end and be next to nobody. Lots of folks go to dauphin island with their families. 

Gulf Shores / Orange beach is where all the locals seem to take their beach days. They have a lot of concerts come through the wharf amphitheater and there’s ton of bars and restaurants down there. Floribama bar for example. This would be your spot with more nightlife and partying going on.

I saw fort Morgan mentioned, that would probably be the quieter side of things on the east bay. The water quality gets better East of mobile bay in general. 

Edited by Johnny Chimpo