Stunning Demographic Stats Re: the future of elections

In about 20 years, half the U.S. population will live in 8 states.  70% of Americans will live in 15 states.  That means that, by 2040, 30 percent of the population of the country will control 68 percent of the seats in the U.S. Senate..  In other words, by 2040, 30 percent of the population will be electing 70 senators, and half the population will be electing 84 of the 100 senators. 

LZXZGQR4MY4ULG4PMIHM22NKJY.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/politics/wp/2018/07/12/in-about-20-years-half-the-population-will-live-in-eight-states/?utm_term=.fb4efa2317a3

Edited by Horn Under a Bad Sign
  • Like 1

is the senate the glaring problem?  seems like it's the house to me.  why are we capped where we are capped? seems like a random number and it's relevancy bullshit in this day and age. 

as to the op, one thing we learned at the last election is we need to spread some motherfuckers out. 

• Like 2

Thing is that our system is intentionally set up to be slow and deliberate.  

Harry Reid Blowing Up 60 Vote Threshold Moose out front should have told ya.  Changing our political systems for the sake of political expediency will always have massive unintended consequences.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, thrillhammer said:

is the senate the glaring problem?  seems like it's the house to me.  why are we capped where we are capped? seems like a random number and it's relevancy bullshit in this day and age. 

as to the op, one thing we learned at the last election is we need to spread some motherfuckers out. 

I do agree that it makes little sense the House doesn't have an equal distribution of reps across the population.

Why don't we just abolish the states entirely?  I'm not saying we should, but an increasing number of people seem not to give much of a shit about their existence, except as convenient administrative units.

Edited by TwiceHorn

3 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

The Senate is undemocratic. It needs to be reformed or eliminated.

I agree that the 435 limit on House members also needs to be changed.

Libertarians getting triggered itt.

It's almost like a country founded almost 250 years ago isn't the same as it is today and it leads to very disproportionate power.

Edited by GSU&UT

1 minute ago, Incredulity said:

It’s designed that way.  Fuck.

It was also designed on slavery and eventually we changed that. We can change the way our representatives are elected as well and I suspect in 20 years you'll see a lot of people calling for just that.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I mean it's not like population and power were concentrated in New York, Massachusetts and South Carolina in 1789 to the detriment of other states.

And Philly and Virginia, it's become way more disproportionate and that trend is continuing. I'm not even suggesting we change the 2 senator law, but perhaps DC and Puerto Rico should be granted statehood.

19 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

It was also designed on slavery and eventually we changed that. We can change the way our representatives are elected as well and I suspect in 20 years you'll see a lot of people calling for just that.

There needs to be a corollary to Godwin’s law for slavery in American political discussions.

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

There needs to be a corollary to Godwin’s law for slavery in American political discussions.

Look at @David Dennison response. Slavery is unfortunately a major part of this country's past and has lead to an entire population of people in the current environment that have struggled to gain equal footing. I'm sure if you asked a lot of non-white people about who really has representation in congress they're not going to say "everybody equally."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Look at @David Dennison response. Slavery is unfortunately a major part of this country's past and has lead to an entire population of people in the current environment that have struggled to gain equal footing. I'm sure if you asked a lot of non-white people about who really has representation in congress they're not going to say "everybody equally."

None of which has any bearing on the Senate.

Which was kind of my point.

• Like 2

Just now, formermav43 said:

None of which has any bearing on the Senate.

Which was kind of my point.

Is the topic of this thread not about proper and proportional representation? Slavery and modern racial dynamics has no part in such a discussion? To me it's silly to discuss our current system while ignoring who benefited when it was created, who benefits now, and how the history of this country may provide insight into why that is.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Is the topic of this thread not about proper and proportional representation? Slavery and modern racial dynamics has no part in such a discussion? To me it's silly to discuss our current system while ignoring who benefited when it was created, who benefits now, and how the history of this country may provide insight into why that is.

That’s not the context in which you brought it up-it seemed to be a throwaway comment about how the Senate can change just like slavery.

At any rate, to me it’s silly to discuss proportional representation for a body that is not proportional by design. It’s an exercise in begging the question. 

Edited by formermav43
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

That’s not the context in which you brought it up-it seemed to be a throwaway comment about how the Senate can change just like slavery.

At any rate, to me it’s silly to discuss proportional representation for a body that is not proportional by design. It’s an exercise in begging the question. 

It's not silly if you want to change it. 

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

It's not silly if you want to change it. 

There's not really any point in having a Senate if you are going to have strict popular representation.

While I agree that slavery has had a disastrous effect on the country, I disagree that it renders the entire Constitution and the form of government contemplated by it defective.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

There's not really any point in having a Senate if you are going to have strict popular representation.

While I agree that slavery has had a disastrous effect on the country, I disagree that it renders the entire Constitution and the form of government contemplated by it defective.

There are plenty of other ways to structure an upper house of a nation's legislative body. The states do it. Do you have a problem with popular representation in the upper chamber in Texas?

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Implied by the structure thereof, according to John Marshall.  No court since has really challenged the notion.

That doesn't mean it can't be challenged or taken away by Congress. It's a tradition. It is not a power explicit in the Constitution.

10 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

There are plenty of other ways to structure an upper house of a nation's legislative body. The states do it. Do you have a problem with popular representation in the upper chamber in Texas?

The states do it because they have to. Reynolds v. Sims.

17 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That doesn't mean it can't be challenged or taken away by Congress. It's a tradition. It is not a power explicit in the Constitution.

Um yeah, the principle of judicial review is that Congress cannot make an unconstitutional law and the Supreme Court is the arbiter.  An attempt by Congress to abrogate judicial review would be unconstitutional and would be declared so by the Supreme Court.

I hope you aren't contending that Congress can overrule anything that isn't explicitly enumerated in the Constitution.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

Um yeah, the principle of judicial review is that Congress cannot make an unconstitutional law and the Supreme Court is the arbiter.  An attempt by Congress to abrogate judicial review would be unconstitutional and would be declared so by the Supreme Court.

I hope you aren't contending that Congress can overrule anything that isn't explicitly enumerated in the Constitution.

Not if you have a strict constructionist court, because judicial review is nowhere in the Constitution.

1 hour ago, David Dennison said:

The Senate is undemocratic. It needs to be reformed or eliminated.

I agree that the 435 limit on House members also needs to be changed.

the 435 House # is ok since is all proportional, based on the 10 year Census.  Meaning, even if you had 1000 Representatives, would not make a bit of difference (aside for possibly redoing districts ie gerrymandering, to give blacks/latinos more votes)

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Why don't we just abolish the states entirely?  I'm not saying we should, but an increasing number of people seem not to give much of a shit about their existence, except as convenient administrative units.

Hell abolish the country while you're at it. 

It causes so many heartaches  and impediments.