2024 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Beantown Express 2.0

I know the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is a joke, but I did not see a thread about the 2024 nominees.  Below is this year's list.  I would vote for Foreigner, Frampton, Jane's Addiction, Oasis, Ozzy and A Tribe Called Quest.  I am guessing none of those will get in and the inductees will be Mary J Blige, Mariah Carey, Cher, Sinead O'Connor and Sade.  

• Mary J. Blige
  • Mariah Carey
  • Cher
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • Eric B. & Rakim
  • Foreigner
  • Peter Frampton
  • Jane's Addiction
  • Kool & the Gang
  • Lenny Kravitz
  • Oasis
  • Sinéad O'Connor
  • Ozzy Osbourne
  • Sade
  • A Tribe Called Quest

Ozzy should be a slam dunk, and I don't even like him or Sabbath all that much.  DMB makes me want to stick a screwdriver in my temple.  Foreigner was "good" and has the hits but eh, pretty lame stuff.  Jane's, I could see that.  Frampton, of course.  Same for Kool.  Maybe Lenny and Oasis.  I don't listen to enough soul, R&B or rap/hiphop to have a strong opinion of some of the others either way.

58 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

Frampton HAS to be a slam dunk, right?  Right? 

We are talking rock and roll hall of fame and he is no Sade/Cher/Mary J Blige now is he!

Yeah, he should be in the rock and roll hall of fame since he is one of the giants of rock in the 1970's with arguably the greatest live album ever and he isa amazing guitarist.  Then again, Sade did have that song The Sweetest Taboo so who knows.

From that list of dogs, I'd induct Cher, Ozzy, Frampton, Kool & the Gang, and Tribe.

I love Oasis but they're not even the best Britpop band and they definitely didn't pave the way with their own sound.  No band claims to be influenced by Oasis.

Kravitz is most famous for having the big afro'd female drummer.  An enjoyable, but derivative, artist.  

I'm on the fence with Jane's.  I love their music and in hindsight, they probably get more credit than they deserve for being the first mainstream alternative artist in the 90s.  However, they had a unique sound but oddly you never hear of anyone claiming them as an influence.  I think the Pixies and Sonic Youth are more deserving from that late 80s, early 90s era. 

Your most famous song can't be a cover song, so Sinead is out.

The rest are undeserving of headlining the Belton County Fair.

Ozzy, Frampton, Jane's, Tribe, Kool.

Lenny and Oasis are too derivative.

Of the ladies, only Mariah should be considered a HOF contender based on her abilities and sales. The rest had some good stuff, but don't have the all-time career necessary. Cher is a HOF icon, but was any of her music more than generic pop/dance?

Eric B. and Rakim have a HOF banger in Paid in Full, but there are so many more deserving early hip-hop artists.

DMB and Foreigner is music for people that don't really like music.

Edited by Herpa Derpa