RIP Karl Wallinger

jimmyjazz

Posted (edited)

Mother Fucker.  After he left The Waterboys, I couldn't wait to hear what he did without Mike Scott.  Then I heard this song.  I still get the same feeling when I hear it today.....MANY years later.

From A Pagan Place:  Waterboys

From "This Is The Sea"

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Goodbye Jumbo is a top 10 album for me.  I still listen to it at least monthly.  So much energy and soul.  This song always seems to full of promise and hope.   I can never hear it enough and the song ends too soon.  
Fuck...I have been hit by a 'celebrity' death like this since Petty.    

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Mother Fucker.  After he left The Waterboys, I couldn't wait to hear what he did without Mike Scott.  Then I heard this song.  I still get the same feeling when I hear it today.....MANY years later.

From A Pagan Place:  Waterboys

From "This Is The Sea"

I'm curious why you say "I couldn't wait to hear what he did without Mike Scott."  I don't know much about their relationship other than Scott seems to be a bit electic and seems to have played with a shit ton of people in his band.   

This really sucks.  Just yesterday me and my cousin we're talking about them.  When we were younger she was the one that told me about them.

Ugh.

Good god what a song.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

I'm curious why you say "I couldn't wait to hear what he did without Mike Scott."  I don't know much about their relationship other than Scott seems to be a bit electic and seems to have played with a shit ton of people in his band.   

Wallinger seemed to have a major impact on the Waterboys overall sound, but to me, they were still a Mike Scott band.   Not that that is a bad thing.  I just liked the changes that Wallinger brought into the Waterboys and was curious what he would be once he got out from under Scott.  Scott still apparently wrote most of the music, but Wallinger's presence really seemed to change the band.   

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

Wallinger seemed to have a major impact on the Waterboys overall sound, but to me, they were still a Mike Scott band.   Not that that is a bad thing.  I just liked the changes that Wallinger brought into the Waterboys and was curious what he would be once he got out from under Scott.  Scott still apparently wrote most of the music, but Wallinger's presence really seemed to change the band.   

Gotcha.

• Hook 'Em 1

As mentioned above, I still listen to this album multiple times a year.  But last night, I sat down and really listened to it for the first time in a long time.   The entire album is a spiritual ride.

This song will be sung at my funeral.  What an uplifting message.   And it includes one of my favorite lines of all time:

"I've got rare '61 Beatles
I got a film of my dreams"

• Hook 'Em 1