Suicide

texanist

Was actually thinking of this topic earlier.  Have a family member (in law) whose sister is dying of cancer.  Sister refusing any more treatment b/c she can't stand the way chemo and radiation are making her feel.  Family member wants her sister to fight, try anything everything, can't live without you, etc.  To me, this is selfish as fuck from the healthy sister.

However, if life has you down, and you just feel like getting out of here, I think there is a lot to be said about the selfishness on the suicide committer's part.

10 minutes ago, ernest_t_bass said:

Was actually thinking of this topic earlier.  Have a family member (in law) whose sister is dying of cancer.  Sister refusing any more treatment b/c she can't stand the way chemo and radiation are making her feel.  Family member wants her sister to fight, try anything everything, can't live without you, etc.  To me, this is selfish as fuck from the healthy sister.

However, if life has you down, and you just feel like getting out of here, I think there is a lot to be said about the selfishness on the suicide committer's part.

Are we related...Having this fight and why the thread.

My aunt went through this a few years ago.  She said, "no more chemo.  if the cancer comes back, then let it come back." but she's not fighting it anymore.  The cancer came back.  She enjoyed herself until she couldn't anymore and she went.  Stopping them from their wishes is selfish.  We don't know what she is going through.    

Anytime these threads come up, it's worth pointing over to this thread here: http://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/280-depression-ocd-and-whatever-else-ails-you-between-the-ears

There's hope out there to be found even deep in the darkest hole.

I'm personally less interested in the morality of the issue and more interested in relieving the suffering of anyone dealing with it. That's a greater moral imperative. I'd put not fighting cancer in a different box entirely than suicide although I'm sure it can feel the same to a loved one. 

Mostly, I just love Bill Evan's rendition of the MASH theme.

Interesting topic, no 1 right answer for everyone. Different situations, different times of life, etc.

All that said, 10 years ago Randy Pausch passed, after fighting a battle with pancreatic cancer. If you haven't done so then you should read his book "The Last Lecture" and/or watch his lecture.