San Antonio Spurs 2024 Offseason Thread - Edging and Unleashing Wemby's Jumbo Package

22 minutes ago, BurdineBandit said:

Excited for it. If we can get a starter and a bench upgrade, I'm stoked.

Eff that. Two starters. The current starting lineup produced one of the worst records in the league and these are top 10 picks. 

The spurs get lucky again in the lottery. Other than Atlanta moving all the way up and improving their outlook, this was about as good as you could have hoped for. 

I imagine Sarr and Risacher go top two in either order,Houston takes Clingan, and then the spurs pick between Topic and Dillingham.  But who knows with this messed up draft class. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Eff that. Two starters. The current starting lineup produced one of the worst records in the league and these are top 10 picks. 

I'm stoked if we replace Champaignie. Vic, Devin and Sochan ain't going anywhere, ino. So I guess that just leaves Jones. If we can get a better PG than him, I'm also satisfied. But to me, it seems like PATFO really like Tre Jones so idk if it will be that easy to plug and play a draft pick there. 

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

We could also package 4 and 8 and go after someone.

If it’s Trae Young, you probably won’t see me for a while. I just want the front office to leak (for once) that there’s no way in hell they’d ever consider that douche. Or don’t leak, have a full blown press conference telling us how much you hate the little bastard. 

• Like 1

Btw... I know the general consensus is that the Spurs got bent over in that trade, but considering how over the barrel they were, that's a pretty good return for a guy who has gone on to be hurt every season while gobbling up a max contract.

37 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Btw... I know the general consensus is that the Spurs got bent over in that trade, but considering how over the barrel they were, that's a pretty good return for a guy who has gone on to be hurt every season while gobbling up a max contract.

He peaked 2014. Won in Toronto while declining because he was still that good. But there's no doubt in my mind he's post-prime.

Listened to the Bill Simmons podcast, and Ryan Russillo mentions how he's heard from 8 NBA teams, and their general consensus is that this draft is like starting from the 7th or 8th best player in a normal draft. Of course Spurs usually can find diamonds in rough but we are probably searching for role players here. Not necessarily a bad thing because our current role players are pretty bad (cough Collins cough Champagnie)

• Hook 'Em 1

I started watching highlights because multiple top names are international.

I saw one analysis that Topic was recommended pick for the Spurs, but watching highlights nothing jumped out. Pretty good at getting to the rim, but it's hard to tell if that's because it's against slower competition?

They touted his playmaking but again, nothing in the highlights I saw looked particularly amazing.

I did like watching pick and rolls and he repeatedly found his big by just lobbing it up for an easy catch and basket.

14 hours ago, Kermit said:

If it’s Trae Young, you probably won’t see me for a while. I just want the front office to leak (for once) that there’s no way in hell they’d ever consider that douche. Or don’t leak, have a full blown press conference telling us how much you hate the little bastard. 

Nothing super meaningful here but there was this article about Chris Paul rumored to be interested in the Spurs and it says that the Spurs don't see Trae Young as a fit with Wemby.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/rumor-chris-paul-could-end-up-with-spurs-this-summer

I've been hanging onto this hoping like hell it's true. And hopefully landing the top pick makes Atlanta not want to move on from him as much.

45 minutes ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

Nothing super meaningful here but there was this article about Chris Paul rumored to be interested in the Spurs and it says that the Spurs don't see Trae Young as a fit with Wemby.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nba/news/rumor-chris-paul-could-end-up-with-spurs-this-summer

I've been hanging onto this hoping like hell it's true. And hopefully landing the top pick makes Atlanta not want to move on from him as much.

Chris Paul would not be a long term solution. Not even sure how I'd rank him as a PG. We need someone who can start and play long minutes on Day One.

1 hour ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

I think Atlanta is going to try to move Young this offseason, but I don't know what his actual trade value is. There is zero chance the Spurs are stupid enough to acquire him. None. Zilch. I wish the talk would go away because it's not happening and triggering.

But you can see what Atlanta is thinking, right? It makes perfect sense to build around Dejounte, Jalen Johnson and Sarr. That's three really long, young pieces. And Murray's contract was below market value. If they can unload Young, they could add somebody in free agency next summer depending on how much money they have to take back for Young. That's a decent core - Murray, Johnson, Sarr, Bogdanovich, Hunter, Okongwu + free agent TBD. In a perfect world, they would unload Young now, tank next season and build with another pick plus a free agent but they stupidly gave that pick to the Spurs. Whatever happens, I trust their front office to fuck it up. But they are the arguably the most interesting team this off season, other than maybe Philly with its massive amount of cap.

19 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

Chris Paul would not be a long term solution. Not even sure how I'd rank him as a PG. We need someone who can start and play long minutes on Day One.

I fucking hate Chris Paul, but I think he would be amazing for a year or two strictly from a leadership perspective. Forget his on the court contribution, which we know will be injury-ridden and limited. Look what he did for SGA in OKC and then again for Booker in Phoenix. And especially if/when they add a point guard in this draft? It would be a no brainer for a mid-level type contract.

Again, he's one of my most hated players in the last 20 years, but he would be an outstanding add for this young team.

Getting back to the draft... I think the Spurs snag either Topic or Dillingham, plus one of the wings. I think there's a very good chance Dillingham and Topic are both there at 8 and they may want to pick their favorite wing at 4 instead and then wait

This is how I think it shakes out, barring trades:

1. Atlanta - Sarr is the no brainer fit for them. It's about the closest thing to a certainty in this draft. They will probably do something crazy, but Sarr would be the right move.
2. Washington - They could go in any direction on a team that needs everything, but does Dillingham or Topic make sense for them? I think they have to gamble on upside, which means Risacher or another of the wings (Buzelis, Holland, Williams or Saluan).
3. Houston - needs a big and outside shooting. Clingan or Sheppard make the most sense. I don't see them taking a ball dominant Dillingham or Topic when they already have too many mouths to feed with Green and Sengun, and after picking Amen Thompson last year.
4. Spurs - if both Topic and Dillingham are still on the board, you can argue they should take a wing. I just can't see any of the next three teams even sniffing around a point guard.
5. Detroit - they've taken a guard in four straight drafts: Killian Hayes, Cunningham, Ivey and Ausar Thompson. There's just no way. Their frontcourt is nonexistent. They have to get some size.
6. Charlotte - Lamelo is signed through 2029 at PG, and they traded PJ Washington and may be moving off of Bridges. They have to take a wing or a big, right? Drafting a PG seems way down on their list.
7. Portland - just drafted Scoot and have Simons. Zero chance they take a point guard.
8. Spurs - Dillingham or Topic

What are the chances that someone moves up between 4 and 8? Utah has the assets to do it and they need a point. OKC does too, but I would think PG is way down their list after taking Cason Wallace last year and already having SGA. They need size.  I suppose Memphis could too, but they certainly don't need backcourt help.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

he would be an outstanding add

He could contribute off the bench but I wouldn't offer more than a vet minimum to a PG who's pushing 40. I don't see the youngest locker room in the league gelling with this guy, either.

Chris Paul would start for us and instantly be our second best player, even at 39 or 40. He is also one of my least favorite players in the league but he would be great for young team like the Spurs. The prospect of having any guy on the team that could throw entry passes and lobs worth a shit to Wemby should make you at least want to consider it. We're not competing for a playoff spot next year anyway. Would you rather have old ass Chris Paul on the floor or least efficient player in the league contender Malaki Branham?

Draft combine is doing measurements today.

A few notable players that are on our radar

Rob Dillingham

• 6'1"
  • 164 lbs
  • 6'3" wingspan

Reed Sheppard

• 6'1.75"
  • 6'3.25" wingspan
  • 7.75 hand length (smallest measured so far)
  • 42" vertical (highest vert so far this year, last year's highest was Cam Whitmore at 40)

Ron Holland

• 6'6.5"
  • 196 lbs
  • 6'10.75" wingspan

Dalton Knecht

• 6'5.25"
  • 212 lbs
  • 6'9" wingspan
  • 39" vert

Funny that when thinking about the reasons we should not want Trae Young, I came across Dillingham's measurements and they're almost identical to Young when he was drafted (6', 6'3" wingspan, 177 lbs). Dillingham is the better athlete but I've read that scouts are worried about him being able to add to his frame. I'm not like the Trae Young defensive parallels I'm seeing here. He's smaller than Devonte Graham too.

I'm sure no one else agrees, but I would rather take Sheppard than Dillingham. I think he's a safe pick because he's one of the best shooters in the draft and understands how to defend on and off ball. He may not have the ceiling that some of these others have but he could be a role player that would complement Wemby perfectly. I'm also usually wrong about everything when it comes to the draft.

We have to draft shooting. Conventional draft wisdom is usually draft best player available and figure out everything else later. Brian Wright needs to get the best player available that can actually shoot with every damn pick unless he's looking for a Zach Collins replacement.

If Risacher is there at 4 I think we take him. I am not a Matas Buzelis believer- he seems like a project that you hope becomes good but right now he sucks-like he's someone the Wizards would draft and then either flames out and becomes a career backup in the Euroleague. Topic's comp is a taller Goran Dragic, which I don't hate the idea of but I have also been unimpressed with his highlights. And he sucks at shooting 3's and his shot would have to be developed.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Um. No.

Vassell is better next year and beyond, so lets say 3rd best then. Who else is better? Malaki Branham, Blake wesley, Tre Jones, Keldon Johnson? Hopefully all these mfs besides Tre Jones are off the team by this time next year regardless of what happens to cp3. And we only keep Tre as the backup pg. I don't think the corpse of Chris Paul would be one of our better players because he's so awesome. Its because our roster is complete ass.

• Hook 'Em 1

42 minutes ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

Funny that when thinking about the reasons we should not want Trae Young, I came across Dillingham's measurements and they're almost identical to Young when he was drafted (6', 6'3" wingspan, 177 lbs). Dillingham is the better athlete but I've read that scouts are worried about him being able to add to his frame. I'm not like the Trae Young defensive parallels I'm seeing here. He's smaller than Devonte Graham too.

Defense is not the reason I'm anti-Trae Young. Well, that's not the only reason. I think he's a locker room cancer with a bad contract who plays losing basketball, and he's going to cost you a ton of assets. So crippling future flexibility for a one dimensional ball dominant loser is beyond stupid.

I don't know what Dillingham will be defensively, but I would be willing to bet a decent amount that he will be significantly better than Trae Young mostly because he's a better athlete, but more importantly I think he will give the effort.

I don't see Sheppard as much of an improvement defensively over Dillingham. His numbers are impressive both in the analytics and that vertical, but guys were blowing right past him on the regular.

52 minutes ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

If Risacher is there at 4 I think we take him. I am not a Matas Buzelis believer- he seems like a project that you hope becomes good but right now he sucks-like he's someone the Wizards would draft and then either flames out and becomes a career backup in the Euroleague. Topic's comp is a taller Goran Dragic, which I don't hate the idea of but I have also been unimpressed with his highlights. And he sucks at shooting 3's and his shot would have to be developed.

I think they take Risacher if he's there too. I'm iffy on him, but I do like him better than Buzelis. I keeping having this nagging feeling that there are going to be teams that regret passing on Cody Williams.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

Vassell is better next year and beyond, so lets say 3rd best then. Who else is better? Malaki Branham, Blake wesley, Tre Jones, Keldon Johnson? Hopefully all these mfs besides Tre Jones are off the team by this time next year regardless of what happens to cp3. And we only keep Tre as the backup pg. I don't think the corpse of Chris Paul would be one of our better players because he's so awesome. Its because our roster is complete ass.

Per minute CP3 would likely have been  the 2nd or 3rd best player on our (admittedly dogshit) roster from last season but the question is how many minutes are you getting from 40 y/o CP3. He played 1500 mins last season. DV missed a bunch of time and still cracked 2200.

I wouldn't be against adding him but Jesus Christ if he gives us the 2nd or 3rd most production over the course of a season Wemby might strangle someone by the ASB.

Edited by ztejas

15 hours ago, chainsaw said:

He peaked 2014. Won in Toronto while declining because he was still that good. But there's no doubt in my mind he's post-prime.

I think its all mental with him, hes afraid of getting injured so he never plays hurt

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We have to draft guys that will be expected to play in 2024-2025, right? No way we do the typical bullshit, right? We can't just patiently try and build considering Wemby, right?

For the first rounders I agree. For the second rounders I could see the typical bullshit happening. I expected to see more Cissoko this season.

Wow, was not expecting that news! I'll miss him. He seemed like a great teammate and had love for the organization, but he was definitely a weak link. I don't see him getting any better than he is, so it makes sense to move on.

4 hours ago, Welch said:

4 hours ago, hornfan785 said:

Wow, was not expecting that news! I'll miss him. He seemed like a great teammate and had love for the organization, but he was definitely a weak link. I don't see him getting any better than he is, so it makes sense to move on.

Sassy Red Wine GIF by Married At First Sight

4 hours ago, angelfacedmongoloid said:

That's the guy that was behind the Trae Young rumors. If you look at his page he's still standing by that too. It looks like he called the  Dejounte Murray trade a couple years ago before Shams Charania and has been pretending to be an insider ever since.

He didn't break the story though.