Kendrick & Drake - The Diss Tales

NoRagrets

• NoRagrets changed the title to Kendrick & Drake - The Diss Tales

Were they fucking each other and then broke up?

Are all rappers on the “down low”*?

*I learned that term (“down low”) from “E.R.” back in the ‘90s. Don’t know if it’s still used. 

Kendrick's probably had the better lines overall but I've liked the Drake songs better. 

"Family Matters" definitely the best track to come out of this thing so far and he's got some good-ass lines on that one.

I don't give a fuck about either of these guys, but I do have a short story:

GF is originally from Miami, and her sister still lives there.  We were visiting several months ago...I don't remember exactly when as we go see her family quite a bit. 

Anyway, the sister takes us to the yacht club for drinks, and some older dude stops by the table to say hi to the sister.  Introductions are made...he's a nice guy, a retired United 767 Captain.  He joins us.  I ask about flying, he tells us that he was aged-out at United, and was bummed because he loved flying.  He gets a phone call..."hey, you still want to fly, right".   Yeah, he does. 

Yada yada, he becomes Drake's pilot on his 767 for his tours.   He said that he was a nice enough guy, and pretty quiet.  No partying ever happened on the plane.  He liked to go wheels-up very early in the morning.   He'd do a show, they would go to some club or hotel and party their asses off, show up to the plane early in the morning, and everybody went to sleep. Guy said he paid better than United, and United paid very well. 

6 hours ago, ztejas said:

Kendrick's probably had the better lines overall but I've liked the Drake songs better. 

"Family Matters" definitely the best track to come out of this thing so far and he's got some good-ass lines on that one.

Diss tracks aren’t for the club. Family Matters is more fun for sure but Kendrick came for that mans soul.

• Hook 'Em 2

It's been hard for me to keep up-- I liked Tailor Made/AI Tupac and Snoop, I loved Euphoria and thought 6:16 was trash. I haven't heard any of the flurry that dropped over the weekend and will catch up.

One of the benefits of all this was remembering and listening to "Back to Back" like 7 times since last week.

I can't talk about rap beef with people who are rating the songs like they're music critics. This ain't that. It's not a battle of "who can make the best track", it's a measure of who can sting the other harder. 

I'm Pro-Kendrick, because I've been a fan for over a decade now and believe he's a hell of a rapper, but in this specific beef, I feel like I get it. I've listened to Drake, I remember when he came up and I was on the hype train, I've heard his hits from years ago and maybe even nodded my head a few times, but it also didn't take long to realize he's a corny dude playing dress up with the real trap stars. Always has been, always will be, and this beef is about Kendrick saying that dork doesn't deserve to be the face of hip-hop and/or rap (or even be mentioned in the pantheon). I don't disagree. 

The sharpest bars of the beef to me gotta be K Dot calling out Drake for cosplaying the entire Atlanta scene to profit off of it, like his white ancestors. Rap has always been a regional thing, but the best have been able to overcome their regionality by just being Great (Biggie, Kendrick, Pac, Jay Z).... Drake don't have a culture to fall back on, so he's been able to get spins just clout chasing and riding waves. Which is one way to go about making money, but don't get mad if someone who values authenticity in the Culture don't appreciate it. Me being a Houston native, I've seen Drake do the exact same shit to Houston. He loves all the cultures, but don't really belong to any of them. 

• Hook 'Em 7

I haven't heard Part 6 yet, but think I'm more or less up to date. Euphoria is maybe the best song, but Drake has the second and third best in Family Matters and Tailor Made. 

Thought this was an interesting read: https://www.theringer.com/rap/2024/5/4/24149035/drake-kendrick-meet-the-grahams-family-matters-euphoria-diss-beef

If this all sounds exhausting, it should. Drake is 37 and Kendrick is about to be. Both these men have kids and families they could be tending to, but instead we’re treated to a beef that started over essentially nothing—if we’re to believe Kendrick, over Drake and Cole linking up in “First Person Shooter” and invoking the idea of a rap “Big Three.” But not a single song released since “Like That” lives up to the expectations each of these men stoked through their years-long Cold War. Nothing measures up to the base-level quality of “Control,” “Back to Back,” or “Stay Schemin.” Instead, we’re treated to two aging rappers squabbling over … who’s cornier? Or maybe it’s about who is or isn’t Kobe? Or even who should be able to buy Tupac’s ring at Sotheby’s for a million dollars?

Even the beef’s most damaging revelations are disingenuous at best—and outright craven at the worst. Drake’s faux-outrage over the account of Kendrick’s treatment of his partner doesn’t mean much when Drake was cosigning Chris Brown’s gang ties a few bars earlier and was caping for Tory Lanez to be freed a few months ago. Similarly, if Kendrick is so concerned with sexual assault and protecting young women from the OVO compound, why did he spend his last album crying about cancel culture and propping up Kodak Black?

Drake and Kendrick don’t have the politics to be doing all this. Is Drake wrong that Kendrick, “always rappin’ like you ’bout to get the slaves freed?” Not really. But also Drake stands for nothing and has never committed an interesting political thought to record in his life. And if Kendrick knows incriminating information about Drake, why has he withheld it until it was this advantageous? As with most hip-hop beefs, we’ve ended up where we were always destined to—men using women, wives, baby mothers, parents, and children in increasingly gross and depraved ways to satisfy their rabid egos.

8 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I haven't heard Part 6 yet, but think I'm more or less up to date. Euphoria is maybe the best song, but Drake has the second and third best in Family Matters and Tailor Made. 

Thought this was an interesting read: https://www.theringer.com/rap/2024/5/4/24149035/drake-kendrick-meet-the-grahams-family-matters-euphoria-diss-beef

This isn't a "song" contest, this is about bars. Anyone who thinks Drake isn't getting washed should be Perma-banned. Kendrick is on his ass. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Someone tell Charles Holmes to shut the fuck up and sit down. Those are some hoe-ass takes - let these guys have their fun and entertain us.

24 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

This isn't a "song" contest, this is about bars. Anyone who thinks Drake isn't getting washed should be Perma-banned. Kendrick is on his ass. 

Idk. Drake has had some money fucking lines. No shit he isn't the rapper that K Dot is - we all already knew that. Making hits is what Drake has always been about. I think both of them are doing this by doing what they do best and it's part of why it's been so much fun. 

• Hook 'Em 1

50 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Someone tell Charles Holmes to shut the fuck up and sit down. Those are some hoe-ass takes - let these guys have their fun and entertain us.

Idk. Drake has had some money fucking lines. No shit he isn't the rapper that K Dot is - we all already knew that. Making hits is what Drake has always been about. I think both of them are doing this by doing what they do best and it's part of why it's been so much fun. 

Yes, all of this.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, BeardIP said:

So....is this over now?

Everyone is saying it's over and Kendrick won, but everyone seems to think it ended with a whimper and both were worse for the wear?

After drake waving the white flag in his last track, it's probably over but there is no way Kendrick is worse for the wear. He just put out a banger diss that broke all kinds of streaming records  and will probably be played in clubs all summer. Metro put out a free beat that tons of people are using for their own Drake diss tracks. 

Drake had zero dirt on Kendrick while Kendrick just reminding everyone Drake is a cosplay gangster with no street cred trying to act tough, constantly does cringe shit and is probably a pedophile. Drake took a massive L in this one.

Edited by Hmbre97
  • Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

After drake waving the white flag in his last track, it's probably over but there is no way Kendrick is worse for the wear. He just put out a banger diss that broke all kinds of streaming records  and will probably be played in clubs all summer. Metro put out a free beat that tons of people are using for their own Drake diss tracks. 

Drake had zero dirt on Kendrick while Kendrick just reminding everyone Drake is a cosplay gangster with no street cred trying to act tough, constantly does cringe shit and is probably a pedophile. Drake took a massive L in this one.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, BeardIP said:

So....is this over now?

Everyone is saying it's over and Kendrick won, but everyone seems to think it ended with a whimper and both were worse for the wear?

BB65384A-6CD3-441D-923F-8398D79F55D6.thumb.jpeg.371fb0272a50ee2cf5686e77a751ad41.jpeg

“Worse for the wear”

Edited by Hank_Hill

Posted (edited)

I didn't mean streaming, I guess I meant the thoughtpieces I was reading from the likes of the aforementioned Charles Holmes and The New Yorker and NPR where folks acknlowdge this was the last great rap beef that would capture mainstream attention and have cache as they were artists from the pre-streaming era, but that they went into some dark and unsubstantiated areas that was wildly silly (e.g. "you have a daughter you are hiding which isnt actually true" and "you beat your wife and it's been covered up, but that's likely untrue" and "you are a pedo and epstein conspiracy theory" "Your boss is actually the father of your daughter, which is dumb"). It's Bossip and dragging family into it and it's silly.

Anyways, I like the songs for the most part, will need to relisten to Not Like Us because I'm hearing that is the new Back to Back (e.g. a summer hit that doubles as a diss track), because I thought euphoria was the best record of this entire beef and that Not Like Us was mid, but I might have been thinking of 6:16.

Edited by BeardIP