Lodge 49

RPM

New AMC series that debuted following Better Call Saul. Of course episode 1 is nothing but character backstory so it's difficult to see where this is going. It's been compared to The Big Lebowski (the lead character's name is Dud). It could also turn out to be the next John from Cincinnati. Do like the club's layout. Surly big cigar should take notes.

Very mellow and easy to watch. Funny with a nice undercurrent of melancholy. I'll keep watching. Although I do have concerns about how well this will sustain itself in the long term. It's hard to see this becoming a Big Dramatic Event show like, say, Breaking Bad or even BCS.

Edited by Paper_jam

22 minutes ago, Paper_jam said:

Very mellow and easy to watch. Funny with a nice undercurrent of melancholy. I'll keep watching. Although I do have concerns about how well this will sustain itself in the long term. It's hard to see this becoming a Big Dramatic Event show like, say, Breaking Bad or even BCS.

It got awful ratings. Unless people watch it on their DVR this week it's not getting a second season.

OK, story starting to come together somewhat. So far more questions than answers but I like the characters. Twin sis has some issues that need explaining so she's on the crazy/hot spectrum. Would bang, would not sleep over. Previews look like next week is when the story develops.

I've watched the first few episodes.  Most of the main characters are interesting enough, but it's really hard to identify with people who constantly make dumb and/or self destructive choices.  And when you can't identify with the main characters, the show had better bring something else to the table.  There is a developing mystery involving the lodge stuff, but that's either going to have some conclusion to it or jump the shark as the writers attempt to extend the life of the show beyond the point where the original idea made sense.

Edited by bernorange

Watched the whole thing.

They made the lead character too stupid.  I can almost deal with the flaky sister sabotaging herself...because I do think people do that.   But watching the protagonist stare with confusion at every single sentence uttered in his direction made me kind of hate him.   It's quirky and there's a few interesting things that happen, but if they do a second season, I won't be watching it. 

I thought this was an interesting perspective:

The bizarre, perplexing nature of Lodge 49 doesn’t feel out of place in a television landscape awash with mystery box storytelling—the device used by the sort of shows that reward multiple viewings and an attentive audience scoping out clues. The sort of shows that require active participation—like decoding a puzzle to uncover a trailer, as both Westworld and Mr. Robot have done—that can feel like exhaustive homework to some, but exciting to others. But what makes Lodge 49 genuinely idiosyncratic, at a time when television dramas have never been more abundant, is that its underlying mysteries are inessential to enjoying the series. Lodge 49 isn’t just a “modern-day fable”—it might feature TV’s first-ever low-stress, opt-in-only-if-you-want mystery box.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

I'd be surprised if it gets a season 2.

I'm in this camp. The only way it gets S2 is if AMC has too much money tied up in it to quit now. I really don't think that's the case.

I just watched the last 5-6 episodes over the past few days, and I enjoyed it in a low-key, subtle kind of way. I suspect that watching it in 2-3 episode blocks is probably a better format so than the pacing and development doesn't bog down quite as much. The self-defeating tendencies of each character got to be a little unbearable in the middle of the story, but the various forms of acceptance and resiliency were satisfying. 

I found it to be an amalgamation of Big Lebowski, Chinatown, generic Coen Brothers, and Pynchon's The Crying of Lot 49, which was presumably pretty apparent to anyone who had read the book.

I really had fun watching it, but I wouldn't argue with anyone that didn't. 

It's been given a second season - not sure how that's going to go.