The danger of Hugo's Russia derangement syndrome

bernorange

I'm pointing out the hypocrisy. No one here screaming Russia, Russia, Russia cares about free and fair elections. If you did you would have been complaining for years about the meddling the US government has done across the globe for decades. You care because Donald Trump is in office and you don't like him. It's ridiculously transparent.

Keep grinding that axe Huck

You are 100% wrong and you know it. I think Trump is a terrible President but that's irrelevant to not wanting foreign meddling in elections. I also don't want the US meddling in other nations' elections.

Absolutely none of that is contradicted by wanting the government to address Russia's actions. Quite the opposite in fact. What would be transparent would be acting like you're against all foreign election interference but then trying to minimize an adversary's interference in your own nation's elections. Transparent, hypocritical, and embarrassing.
  • Like 1

And this is the kind of unhinged thinking about Russia that loses most Americans. Have you seen polls about where this issue rates with independent voters? Somwhere between the viability of the post office and coast guard funding.  

This is false and you were suckered by an outdated poll taken in June before this blew up in July but publicized in late July.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/25/632109122/npr-pbs-newshour-marist-poll-americans-dont-think-trump-is-tough-enough-on-russi

33 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That's the problem.

Amazingly the economy, job status, health care, education, crime, immigration , the environment and national security are more important to the average voter than Putin posting fake memes on Facebook and Twitter. 

I realize that is so bizarre and Americans just do have their priorities straight but that’s the cruel world we live in. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

This is false and you were suckered by an outdated poll taken in June before this blew up in July but publicized in late July.

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/25/632109122/npr-pbs-newshour-marist-poll-americans-dont-think-trump-is-tough-enough-on-russi

That poll does not contradict what I am saying. In terms of voting issues this ranks very low to the average voter. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

The average voter is a moron.

And this is how you get the wonderful Democrat political strategy that yielded us Donald Trump. 

Tell the US soybean farmer, who’s been destroyed by the trade war that this is more important. 

Tell the inner city black family in Chicago, who just saw the shootout at the OK Corral last weekend this is more important. 

Tell my elderly parents who are struggling with health care bills how important this is. 

Tell the people at the border in Arizona that this is more important that’s illegal immigration. 

No, their issues are not legit. Their morons if they not putting fake Facebook memes as priority number one in their lives. 

22 minutes ago, Js1 said:

You should be negged into oblivion for continuing to blame Democrats for electing Donald Trump.  No one held a gun to your head and forced Republicans to vote for him and make him the nominee.

The continued failure of the Democrats to focus on these issues and not issues that matter to anyone is part of this problem. And it is important to recognize because, well they are doing it again with the Russia story. 

I loathe Trump and want more than anything a new president in 2020. But if the  Democrats do not stop focusing on the things no voter actually cares about we will get more of the same. 

Edited by Newy25

23 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

And this is how you get the wonderful Democrat political strategy that yielded us Donald Trump. 

Tell the US soybean farmer, who’s been destroyed by the trade war that this is more important. 

Tell the inner city black family in Chicago, who just saw the shootout at the OK Corral last weekend this is more important. 

Tell my elderly parents who are struggling with health care bills how important this is. 

Tell the people at the border in Arizona that this is more important that’s illegal immigration. 

No, their issues are not legit. Their morons if they not putting fake Facebook memes as priority number one in their lives. 

The Democrats are focusing on these issues. The just so happens to be a spray-tanned fuckhead who is causing literally all of those things you referenced to become problematic. It's when we examine how said spray-tanned maniac ascended to where he is at that we ascertain the problem and why the focus is on the interference from a foreign government and the fact that said maniac conspired with them to get where they are.

There are a couple of proposals in the paper for which the intent appears to be encouraging competition with large social media platforms. These seem pretty reasonable and useful as well.

Data portability (p. 20-21) - see Europe

Interoperability (p.21-22) - the paper mentions the FCC and AOL Instant Messenger as an existing example

Opening federal datasets to researchers and startups (p.22-23) - this seems pro-small business and pro-research without overstepping bounds

Essential Facilities Determination (p.23) - the paper mentions NBC and Comcast as an existing example

45 minutes ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

The Democrats are focusing on these issues. The just so happens to be a spray-tanned fuckhead who is causing literally all of those things you referenced to become problematic. It's when we examine how said spray-tanned maniac ascended to where he is at that we ascertain the problem and why the focus is on the interference from a foreign government and the fact that said maniac conspired with them to get where they are.

If the Democrats are focusing on these real issues they are failing at messaging. Turn on any media and one story dominates above all. 

If I were a cynic I would almost believe Trump is keeping this Russia story front and center on purpose. Trolling the left if you will into engaging in a losing fight. 

I don't know all what Russia did or even what all they are suspected of doing, so I will give an example of some hypothetical country during a US election year.  Suppose this country actively tries to find out negative facts about a candidate they do not like and then when found they release & communicate these facts (and possibly also lies about the candidate) to the US public via the internet:

Is this such a big concern that any of you agree with ndawg and would prefer to allow the US government the power to restrict the free international exchange of ideas on the internet, which to be effective at all would necessarily entail giving some government agency the power to identify and silence whatever posters and users on the internet they decide without any rigorous due process?  To me the answer to this is an obvious no and the far bigger threat to us all would be this US internet policing agency.  Some of you have expressed the frustration with Trump's threats of silencing media (and I agree with this frustration).  It seems crazy to me that some of the opponents of Trump are the ones suggesting to give the state more authority over the free exchange of ideas. Of course we like to assume idealized governmental agencies that have our same interests in mind and when we dream of setting them up we like to picture them crushing the forces of evil aligned against us.  But your view of what is evil and their view may not always be perfectly aligned. 

Freedom and the free exchange of ideas necessarily entails that some sinister men and stupid men will get to proliferate their ideas as well.  And there will always be not so clever members of the population that believe in these stupid ideas, even if they work against their best interests.  This is nothing new.  Of course no one likes this side of the free speech coin.  But the better way to address this is through the free exchange of ideas and not through authoritarian measures via the state.  The internet has given some folks a platform to more effectively proliferate their ideas and it has shined a light on how many stupid people there really are out in the world (the bigger aspect of the phenomenon in my opinion).  But let's not make the internet out to be some irresistible demon that controls the destinies of men.

35 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

If the Democrats are focusing on these real issues they are failing at messaging. Turn on any media and one story dominates above all. 

If I were a cynic I would almost believe Trump is keeping this Russia story front and center on purpose. Trolling the left if you will into engaging in a losing fight. 

You seem to be forgetting who holds all the cards right now. These things were being handled when President Obama was in office and there was at least efforts being made to work towards fixing the problems.

So you go on and keep believing the party that doesn't control shit in the House, the Senate, or the Executive branch is the problem because you are absolutely delusional.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Newy25 said:

The continued failure of the Democrats to focus on these issues and not issues that matter to anyone is part of this problem. And it is important to recognize because, well they are doing it again with the Russia story. 

I loathe Trump and want more than anything a new president in 2020. But if the  Democrats do not stop focusing on the things no voter actually cares about we will get more of the same. 

Oh, horseshit.

11 hours ago, HOOK'EMHOOAH said:

You seem to be forgetting who holds all the cards right now. These things were being handled when President Obama was in office and there was at least efforts being made to work towards fixing the problems.

So you go on and keep believing the party that doesn't control shit in the House, the Senate, or the Executive branch is the problem because you are absolutely delusional.

Uh, what? Maybe you can start by trying to explain how the words you wrote have anything to do with anything being discussed on this thread. 

15 hours ago, Newy25 said:

Um, Trump was elected on building a wall financed by Mexico, overturning Obamacare and replacing it with something cheaper and better, making better deals all around, and keeping Muslims out of America. Oh, and a slogan promising to return America to some illusory state of greatness in the past. We were going to get tired of so much winning.

If those people above whom concern you voted Trump and not Clinton, they are indeed morons at best. At worst they're morons whose idiocy is aggravated by racism, hate, and paranoia. Trump as president is an absurdity that makes a joke of the lies we tell ourselves about America and the collective wisdom of the people.

Be proud of your role in this.

• Like 5