Brett Kavanaugh Confirmation Thread

Hugo Stiglitz

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/30/opinion/james-comey-fbi-kavanaugh-investigation.html

James Comey: The F.B.I. Can Do This

The F.B.I. is back in the middle of it. When we were handed the Hillary Clinton email investigation in 2015, the bureau’s deputy director said to me, “You know you are totally screwed, right?” He meant that, in a viciously polarized political environment, one side was sure to be furious with the outcome. Sure enough, I saw a tweet declaring me “a political hack,” although the author added, tongue in cheek: “I just can’t figure out which side.”

And those were the good old days. President Trump’s decision to order a one-week investigation into sexual assault allegations against Brett Kavanaugh, his Supreme Court nominee, comes in a time of almost indescribable pain and anger, lies and attacks.

We live in a world where the president routinely attacks the F.B.I. because he fears its work. He calls for his enemies to be prosecuted and his friends freed. We also live in a world where a sitting federal judge channels the president by shouting attacks at the Senate committee considering his nomination and demanding to know if a respected senator has ever passed out from drinking. We live in a world where the president is an accused serial abuser of women, who was caught on tape bragging about his ability to assault women and now likens the accusations against his nominee to the many “false” accusations against him. 

Most disturbingly, we live in a world where millions of Republicans and their representatives think nearly everything in the previous paragraph is O.K.

In that world, the F.B.I. is now being asked to investigate, on a seven-day clock, sexual assaults that the president says never happened, that some senators have decried as a sham cooked up to derail a Supreme Court nominee, and that other senators believe beyond all doubt were committed by the nominee. 

If truth were the only goal, there would be no clock, and the investigation wouldn’t have been sought after the Senate Judiciary Committee already endorsed the nominee. Instead, it seems that the Republican goal is to be able to say there was an investigation and it didn’t change their view, while the Democrats hope for incriminating evidence to derail the nominee.

Although the process is deeply flawed, and apparently designed to thwart the fact-gathering process, the F.B.I. is up for this. It’s not as hard as Republicans hope it will be. 

F.B.I. agents are experts at interviewing people and quickly dispatching leads to their colleagues around the world to follow with additional interviews. Unless limited in some way by the Trump administration, they can speak to scores of people in a few days, if necessary.

They will confront people with testimony and other accounts, testing them and pushing them in a professional way. Agents have much better nonsense detectors than partisans, because they aren’t starting with a conclusion. 

Yes, the alleged incident occurred 36 years ago. But F.B.I. agents know time has very little to do with memory. They know every married person remembers the weather on their wedding day, no matter how long ago. Significance drives memory. They also know that little lies point to bigger lies. They know that obvious lies by the nominee about the meaning of words in a yearbook are a flashing signal to dig deeper.

Once they start interviewing, every witness knows the consequences. It is one thing to have your lawyer submit a statement on your behalf. It is a very different thing to sit across from two F.B.I. special agents and answer their relentless questions. Of course, the bureau won’t have subpoena power, only the ability to knock on doors and ask questions. But most people will speak to them. Refusal to do so is its own kind of statement.

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The good thing is we know how much the White House is abusing its power here.  Imagine if we didn’t. 

Like it matters. Truth means nothing, only power. Dems don’t get that, and don’t get that they have to be ruthless when they have it. Pubs would wipe their asses with the flag and piss on the constitution if it suited them.

The tree of liberty is looking mighty parched, but we’re too fat and happy to give a damn. 

If anybody thinks this is about any things other than the composition of the Court and control of the Senate, they are wrong.  I'm sure if either side were prepared to concede those issues they could get most any lesser issue.

For example, the Dems don't want Kavanaugh.  Want a nominee with no sexual assault issues?  No problem.  Agree to confirm Amy Coney Barrett with a voice vote tomorrow and Kavanaugh is history.  And I'll assume Barrett has no sexual assault allegations.   But then Barrett is widely viewed to be much more hostile to Roe/Casey than Kavanaugh.  And she's younger.

2 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

If anybody thinks this is about any things other than the composition of the Court and control of the Senate, they are wrong.  I'm sure if either side were prepared to concede those issues they could get most any lesser issue.

For example, the Dems don't want Kavanaugh.  Want a nominee with no sexual assault issues?  No problem.  Agree to confirm Amy Coney Barrett with a voice vote tomorrow and Kavanaugh is history.  And I'll assume Barrett has no sexual assault allegations.   But then Barrett is widely viewed to be much more hostile to Roe/Casey than Kavanaugh.  And she's younger. 

Cool.

5 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

Bullshit. If it were only a question of ideology, the Republicans (you know, the party in power) could've easily dumped him a week ago. No, there's got to be a very specific reason they're putting everything on the line for him.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, MixtyMotions said:

That's not how it works.   She still needs to testify, turn over historical papers, etc.   Just because you first nominate an alcoholic sexual predator doesn't mean you have a free pass to confirmation on a backup without any vetting.   If anything, the incompetence of the White House thus far confirms that we need more vetting on the next one up. 

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

So as of now it looks like FBI is not talking to Swetnick. What was her exact accusation of Kavanaugh? That he was at parties where gang rapes happened or that he actually participated? She did not accuse him of raping her, right?

That sounds right

A third woman came forward Wednesday morning to accuse Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct. In this case, the woman accused him of engaging in repeated lewd behavior with women at parties in the early 1980s, and of putting drugs or alcohol in punch to cause women to become inebriated so they could be "gang raped" by a group of male partygoers.

The woman, Julie Swetnick, said that she was the victim of one of these gang rapes in approximately 1982. She did not allege that Kavanaugh participated in the rape, but said he and his friend Mark Judge were present when it occurred, adding that she was incapacitated by a drug placed in her drink without her consent and was unable to fight off her attackers.

She also said she saw Kavanaugh and Judge lined up at other parties "waiting for their 'turn' with a girl inside the room."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/woman-alleges-kavanaugh-spiked-punch-parties-so-intoxicated-girls-could-n912491

Edited by retread

3 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Bullshit. If it were only a question of ideology, the Republicans (you know, the party in power) could've easily dumped him a week ago. No, there's got to be a very specific reason they're putting everything on the line for him.

There is a very specific reason.  It's timing.  Changing nominees would cost three months.  So, like I said, if the Dems will put somebody else from the list on the Court NEXT WEEK I'm sure the GOP would take the deal.

49 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Jeff Flake is a traitor to the Republican Party. He will be blackballed and will not be invited to speak at Republican events. The base hates him.

Serious question, what does the Republican Party stand for?  What in their platform moves America or the world to a better place?  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

5 minutes ago, bolverk said:

And it's exactly that kind of shady shit I was getting at. Go get your shine box, Tahoe, er, I'm mean Mixty.

You think that Kennedy traded his seat to trump for a pardon for his son? That’s exactly the kind of shady suit you think is going down here?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

You think that Kennedy traded his seat to trump for a pardon for his son? That’s exactly the kind of shady suit you think is going down here?

I honestly have no idea why Kavanaugh is so special to the GOP.  I’ve heard every theory out there from the pardons to the Catholic Church/Russian orthodox conspiracy.   

I do know is there’s no good justification for Kavanaugh on the Supreme Courts unless there is some deceptive corrupt purpose. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I honestly have no idea why Kavanaugh is so special to the GOP.  I’ve heard every theory out there from the pardons to the Catholic Church/Russian orthodox conspiracy.   

I do know is there’s no good justification for Kavanaugh on the Supreme Courts unless their is some deceptive corrupt purpose. 

Trump picked him because he said nice things about Trump. Trump never admits hes wrong, the Republicans have completely capitulated to Trump.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Y’all crowdsourced banned or intimidated all the Republicans from posting. Well done. 

Bullshit.  Unlike your stupid ass, they are all embarrassed about all the shit they've spewed for years, and now overlook for the orange dipshit.

Take "Escriva".  That motherfucker posted 20 times a day about how we needed to purge dems and elect republicans because the deficit is the most important thing  ever.   Was he banned?  No, he's just a pussy and afraid to show his face.   Tahoe's the same.   His "GOP List" got us fine people like Ben Carson, Rick Perry, and Betsy Devoss in cabinet positions.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Michael Knight said:

Trump picked him because he said nice things about Trump. Trump never admits hes wrong, the Republicans have completely capitulated to Trump.

It’s not that simple. If that was true, Kavanaugh would have been confirmed already.

Many GOP Senators are paying a high political price for Kavanaugh if confirmed.  These guys operate solely out of self interest, they’re mercenaries.

I honestly believe several Senators want a way out of Kavanaugh but without the cost of alienating the Trump base. 

The war is currently with a handful of GOP Senators and the White House.  The democrats are pouring gasoline on this fire, as they should.

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I do know is there’s no good justification for Kavanaugh on the Supreme Courts unless their is some deceptive corrupt purpose. 

I have become a huge fan on his based on his performance on Thursday. For me, it’s a test of strength. This is the Democrat playbook of demonizing nominees that will alter the balance of power on the court. That’s why it’s pathetic to see RINOs fall for it. Thankfully, the Flakes, Corkers and McCains of the world are a relic of the past. Party loyalty above “independents” or “mavericks”. The base is reshaping the Republican Party that doesn’t give a fuck about being invited to Harvard to give a commencement address. Guys like DeSantis in Florida and eye patch guy running fur Congress in Houston. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Iconoclast Texan said:

I have become a huge fan on his based on his performance on Thursday. For me, it’s a test of strength. This is the Democrat playbook of demonizing nominees that will alter the balance of power on the court. That’s why it’s pathetic to see RINOs fall for it. Thankfully, the Flakes, Corkers and McCains of the world are a relic of the past. Party loyalty above “independents” or “mavericks”. The base is reshaping the Republican Party that doesn’t give a fuck about being invited to Harvard to give a commencement address. Guys like DeSantis in Florida and eye patch guy running fur Congress in Houston. 

jesus christ dude, just wow.

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

This is why Trump will back Kavanaugh to the end.  To back down the nomination conflicts with the narcissism that is at the core of his person. And it's even more amplified in that the allegations re: Kavanaugh are related to sexual assault. Double barreled shotgun pointed at his personality disorder, given his past history with sexual assault allegatoins.  Trump is a deeply flawed person with probably one of the most severe non-completely disabling personality disorders to ever be put on this stage.  I think that all of his actions can be viewed through that lens. I don't think that grand conspiracies involving Kennedy and his son and money laundering are necessary to bring this picture into resolution.  But maybe there is something there.  Perhaps the FBI should be investigating Justice Kennedy at the same time that they are flushing out allegations aimed at Kavanaugh.