Ohio State @ TCU at AT&T Stadium

Shmitty

Just now, Welshy said:

Color guy is offended by "reckless" pass. Brought the chuckles.

ESPN commentary is 95% politicking for the teams they want to see in the 4 team invitational.  I honestly think they are given scripts before big games and told to hit the talking points, like every other politician. 

If you aren't one of the teams they've chosen, its pretty gross.

3 fluke plays and TCU wins this game

the beautiful KO return for a TD called back due to a forward pass, which it was, but wow the deception was amazing. 

the shuffle pass returned for a defensive TD

the blocked punt giving them a 25 yard field. 

Those account for a 21 point swing.

• Like 1

On September 14, 2018 at 8:38 PM, WhatTheBuck said:

I'd bet the Over.

OSU will put up points. This is the first real defensive test they'll face but they've got a solid OL, a pair of 1,000 yd rushers at TB, and more than a handful of skilled WRs.

As has been mentioned, the DL is among the best in the nation but there's inexperience in the backfield. They gave up too many big plays to Oregon State to assume that TCU isn't going to make some of their own. (I haven't seen the Frogs play this year so I'm just making an assumption based on past teams.) Hopefully Baron Browning and Jeffrey Okudah will have big games playing back in their home State. I'm sure they'll have a lot of family there. Same with JK Dobbins on offense. 

I'd say I called that right. If you took the points you were a missed FG away from losing, or if the normally sure-handed Austin Mack hadn't dropped that easy catch in the end zone on the first OSU drive, or if they decided to let Dobbins score a TD for his family on that last one. The Over was the safest bet. 

I don't know what got into Austin Mack's head. He normally catches everything. I guess I'm glad they stuck with him until he turned it around but after his first drop in the second half I was ready to see him benched. How many drives did he kill with his drops? A couple should have been PI calls, like when the guy hit him in the back while he was in the air before the ball got to him. But most were catchable balls that hit him in the hands and he just dropped them when the coverage wasn't even that close. 

LB coach Bill Davis probably needs to be shown the door. You don't get better at the LB position by losing Luke Fickell from the staff but I think it's clear that Davis isn't the answer. 

21 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

What exactly was a fluke about any of those plays?

The pass was six yards downfield.  The shuffle pass was perfectly played.  TCU wasn’t prepared for the punt block. Nothing flukey about any of them. 

From a Frog, I agree.  3 huge plays made the difference, but luck was not involved in any of them.

Really wish that game was the first of the H&H.  It was high entertainment and I'd love another shot at them next year.