Tell me about Midland

billfromlaketravis

Cork and Pig is really good as well if you find yourself closer to Odessa. There’s also a little restaurant connected to it that has a great brunch, I can’t remember the name.

Speaking of brunch, go to The Bar. Get the CFS and ask to have it covered in the green sauce and gravy.

• 2 weeks later...

Went again last weekend as well.

Grew up in the shithole and part of me misses the old shithole compared to this new cluster.

Miss me some Dino's Pizza and Shakey's. Nacho's from La Bodega still hit the spot. The Bar is generally hit if I have time.

Only place I grab food is Rosa's, Taco Villa (combination burrito in my gut for 48 hours) and Wall Street. Rest of the time I tend to stick to my parents house and avoid all the maniacs trying to kill people on the loop with their brand new jacked up trucks. It will be a crazy day when Oil crashes again.

Went again last weekend as well.
Grew up in the shithole and part of me misses the old shithole compared to this new cluster.
Miss me some Dino's Pizza and Shakey's. Nacho's from La Bodega still hit the spot. The Bar is generally hit if I have time.
Only place I grab food is Rosa's, Taco Villa (combination burrito in my gut for 48 hours) and Wall Street. Rest of the time I tend to stick to my parents house and avoid all the maniacs trying to kill people on the loop with their brand new jacked up trucks. It will be a crazy day when Oil crashes again.

I don’t know where you live, but having moved from Midland to the Houston area, Houston’s sedans driving 20+ over the speed limit at any given time weaving through traffic and running red lights is far more concerning as a driver.

Those lifted F350 welding trucks may drive like maniacs, at least they do it in a straight line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Let me clarify. The trucks with welding gear do fine. In Midland it appears instead of getting a sedan and driving 20 over, the population gets a massive truck or SUV and drives it like a sedan 20 over.

My comment was referencing the welding trucks in midland that are jacked up and drive 20 over in a straight line. Welders are notoriously the biggest dumbasses in the oilfield. They don’t give a fuck. They will tailgate you up to about two feet, but they aren’t changing lanes. Hard to smoke that red and scroll the local Facebook gun group while changing lanes.

• 2 years later...
On 4/27/2021 at 8:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Best eats between Houston and Midland? We usually stop at Mi Tierra or the Original Rudy’s in Leon Springs. I’d like to try something different. Needs to be within 10 miles of I 10 and open until at least 9. 

DO NOT EAT AT = Cooper's Bar-B-Q & Grill in Junction, TX

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

DO NOT EAT AT = Cooper's Bar-B-Q & Grill in Junction, TX

I’ve actually made this mistake before. Cooper’s was close to the interstate, and I didn’t know about Lum’s at the time. I made a bad decision. Never again.

I’d say Junction is probably about as far we could go without stopping. We should be pretty damn hungry by then. So we’re talking eats between San Antonio and Junction. 

On 4/27/2021 at 8:23 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Best eats between Houston and Midland? We usually stop at Mi Tierra or the Original Rudy’s in Leon Springs. I’d like to try something different. Needs to be within 10 miles of I 10 and open until at least 9. 

Pepe’s Cafe in Ozona. Amazing Tex-Mex.

Edited by Rudiger
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

The wife roped me into Mi Tierra last night. A 90 night minute wait sandwiched into an hour 8 drive after I worked a full day at the office. Not ideal. Every I 35 dirt burglar between Oklahoma and St. Paul had the same idea for dinner. I like their food, but I’m never going back before 10 pm. 

We used 137 a short cut from I 10 to Midland. At least 20 miles were gravel roads. Not what you want to see in a rented Nissan. 

This is probably our final drive out here. Flying is worth every penny. This drive humbles you. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis