The rematch with OU will come down to tackling and turnovers

Goo Punch

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Are

Not sure whose sock you are, but sorry that a conference with more than 1 quarterback bothers you.

3 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Way to evade the point entirely and go to a complete non-sequiter. Great job. You really won this dispute fairly easily. 

Whoa, whoa.  Time out.  

I don't care about the particulars of your debate, but you can't use a grammatical mistake against someone then make one yourself.  

6 hours ago, Laga4 said:

If our defense and offense show up and play for 4 qtrs.  we win the game fairly easily.  

There's an interminable abundance of hubris around here, most of which I can let go due to the over saturation, but posts like this are just insane. there is no scenario where we win fairly easily that doesn't involve Kyler Murray not playing.

The first game turned on that 3rd down incomplete pass when we should have ran it down their throat, twice if necessary.  They weren't stopping shit and we helped them out by stopping the clock for them, shanking a punt, and inexplicably letting kyler go 70 between the numbers and the sideline...if we get that first down the game is over.

The offense was handcuffed yesterday because Sam wasn't running nor could he throw effectively ...honestly i think it looked almost exactly like Shane was playing.  Don't know why they didn't give Heard a shot or put LJH in the wildcat.

2 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

The first game turned on that 3rd down incomplete pass when we should have ran it down their throat, twice if necessary.  They weren't stopping shit and we helped them out by stopping the clock for them, shanking a punt, and inexplicably letting kyler go 70 between the numbers and the sideline...if we get that first down the game is over.

The offense was handcuffed yesterday because Sam wasn't running nor could he throw effectively ...honestly i think it looked almost exactly like Shane was playing.  Don't know why they didn't give Heard a shot or put LJH in the wildcat.

give Heard a shot at what?

• Like 1

IMO we need to run the ball and then run some more. Hopefully, Sam is healthy and Ingram and Watson can move chains with Sam and the RPO. Take some shots downfield when they are on their heels. I believe we need to run the clock as much as possible and limit the possessions of blowU. 

That will help keep our defense as fresh as possible. Take good angles and knock the shit out of Brown and DeDe and force some turnovers.We need to keep the receivers in front of us on take away the long plays. Make them earn every TD. Contain Murray in the packet like we did in game 1. We held him to under 25 yards rushing thru the first 3 quarters.

In game 1 the Horns gave blowU 7 possessions thru the first 3 quarters and gave up 24 points. 

I honestly couldn't be happier for how poorly we played on offense against Kansas. 

We need our best focus this week and not blowing out a lesser team should help curb any overconfidence and get our guys dialed in. 

I also knew a multiple turnover game had to be coming.  Statiscally, it was highly likely after the streak we've been on. Couldn't be happier it came against Kansas and not in our next game.  Ball security should be a big focus this week. 

Edited by Bill Lumbergh

29 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

There's an interminable abundance of hubris around here, most of which I can let go due to the over saturation, but posts like this are just insane. there is no scenario where we win fairly easily that doesn't involve Kyler Murray not playing.

probably not, but there was a scenario for that first game where we win fairly easily with Kyler playing. if we played normal offense for a couple more series, we would have won that game easily.

5 Keys to win:

1. Win the turnover/score off of turnovers. 

2. Pressure Murray.

3. Boyd/Locke gotta have a good game. 

4. Long physical drives by the offense. 

5. OU will score but limit the big plays, and make them travel the field to score. 

Basically everything we did before to beat them. 

The D hasn't been pretty the last couple of weeks, but they seemed to more or less coalesced. They could theoretically hold OU to about 35-40 points. They seem capable of putting decent pressure on the QB when they want to. Orlando needs to earn his pay. We may have to gamble, but Murray isn't perfect. He fumbles, I think - and he got no pressure from WVU last night. We have a secondary capable of picking off two or three rushed throws. So we can do this.

Offensively, Mensa needs to figure out what's going on with Sam's arm. He really fucked up a week ago when he took on that ISU safety with seven seconds left in the half. If he can get his long ball back, he should be able to burn the shit out of OU's amazingly bad defense. We need enough of a running game to open up the long ball. That's not to say that if we can find a weakness in their run defense (their offensive line and linebacker, it appears) we shouldn't take full advantage of it. It's just that the big pass was open all night long last night. Sam will be more effective passing on first and second down than third and long.

I'd like to see Rising get some reps this week, then let Mensa decide on Friday which of the two backups can do the job if Sam can't.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

35 minutes ago, DoneWithit said:

5 Keys to win:

4. Long physical drives by the offense. ...

I like the idea of controlling the clock. Of course their D is so shitty, it might be better to score early and often. That said, let's make sure we score first and let's score last in the first half - with about thirty seconds left on the clock. Definitely take the ball if we win the toss.