Recommend me a toaster oven

Sbbruin

2 hours ago, elfenix said:

I would note their runner up Breville Smart Oven was America's Test Kitchen pick for best toaster oven.

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/equipment_reviews/1292-toaster-ovens

However, it probably fails at the counter space portion of your needs.

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 1

1. Jesus, Kenny. Everything in that url starting with the question mark is unnecessary and superfluous. 

2. In my experience, recommendations by America's Test Kitchen aren't very reliable. For example, don't sell me on a rice cooker with a lid that doesn't detach. 

3. I need to replace my toaster oven. It still works okay but it's past its prime. It's made by Black & Decker. It's 31 years old. It's still functional and I use it regularly. Just used it tonight to cook a Bahama Mama and toast it's bun. I haven't shopped for a replacement but when I do I'll be looking for another Black & Decker. 

Had some B&D undercounter numbers over the course of a couple of decades.  At $20 how could you go wrong.  Finally upgraded to the Breville this year.  Absolutely bad ass, for a great number of true oven tasks.  More than your budget, but its like .... well, I was going to say Cadillac but that doesn't work anymore.  Maybe one of those Lexus LS 500's.

5 hours ago, NBMisha said:

Had some B&D undercounter numbers over the course of a couple of decades.  At $20 how could you go wrong.  Finally upgraded to the Breville this year.  Absolutely bad ass, for a great number of true oven tasks.  More than your budget, but its like .... well, I was going to say Cadillac but that doesn't work anymore.  Maybe one of those Lexus LS 500's.

Is that the Smart Oven Air?  I've read great stuff about it, some people suggesting it could replace your microwave, as well.  What are some of things that surprised you about it, both pros and cons?

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

Is that the Smart Oven Air?  I've read great stuff about it, some people suggesting it could replace your microwave, as well.  What are some of things that surprised you about it, both pros and cons?

Not a microwave, but a convection.  A bit over $200 on Amazon.  

My daughter and SIL have had one or a few years, and that's why we got one.  For one thing, I can cook a loaf of bread from dough, I sort of found that amazing.  Makes the best toasted cheese ever.  Fresh pizza.  I guess I was not that familiar with convection ovens, so the precision of this is what I found surprising.  Set the timer for the specific item and it comes out perfect.  

The kids use theirs almost every day, and he is a chef.  They've had it about 5 years and it runs like the day they got it.  With this and an insta-pot, you could do some amazing stuff in a small space.  Mind you, I love cooking conventionally, but sometimes I'm looking for convenience.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 12/4/2018 at 1:39 AM, Sbbruin said:

Don't want a counter-space hog.  Doesn't need too many bells and whistles.  Maybe $100 or less.

A friend of mine works at healthykitchen101.com recommended a Hamilton Beach (model 31126) toaster oven. BEST.CHOICE.EVER.MADE! Fits your description quite nicely, too: compact, simple design, and cost under 100 buck! Now you know your target, happy hunting :3

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...