Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

18 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Never was much into the death metal / growling stuff but for whatever reason started listening to some over the last few months.  Heard this group on Sirius and went down the YT rabbit hole.  They scare the shit out of me... I love them.

'Those Once Loyal' is a death metal classic. Truly a cover-to-cover album. Just every song hits and is fucking awesome. If you haven't yet, listen to that album in full - smoke a big joint first. You'll be glad you did.

On 7/9/2023 at 12:53 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

speaking of, anyone going to the Analepsy (Portugal), Cognitive (US), Wormhole (US, Int'l), Necroticgorebeast (Canada), Athanatos (New Braunfels) show on Saturday? Fucking stoked for Necrotic and Analepsy. 

I'll be there.

• Like 1

On May 25th Anthrax's Sound of White Noise turned 30.  And at the end of this month, 30 years ago, the "Only" single was released.  I was 16 and loved this song and album.  It was the song of the summer for my friends and I.

#teambush

10 years later they would release another great Anthrax album with Bush, We’ve Come For You All

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

man, I'm so glad I defied my parents and went and saw Pantera in their heyday. don't know if I can bring myself to go see the current version. but I guess for some people it's good enough

I never saw them and will never see them.  They are gone.

• Like 1

this came through my release radar on spotify too. I love that I have that platformed to show me only metal. entire album is quite good. dude plays all instruments/parts (seems to be a lot more common these days). 

and honestly I have no idea about the song titles as it's an outlier from the rest of the album

speaking of DFW metal, was anyone around in the early-late 90's metal/nu metal scene. as I was climbing out of from under the heavy rock/classic rocks and discovering new genres and bands, I glommed onto a couple that I am still kinda fond of these days.

The first is Stink!#Bug. They only put out two albums (I prefer the first one - it was more raw) but they were the first band I ever heard combine sampling/record scratches into heavy music. i still think it's a fun sound - haters can suck it. a couple samples

4 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

Guitarist from Power Trip (RIP) is putting out some more old school thrash metal with his new band. 

They played Hells Heroes in March. Good shit. 

Heathen and Exhorder just tore it up. 30 minutes until Overkill.

• Hook 'Em 1

wow, honestly wasn't expecting the love for CoE. I cut my metal teeth on bands like that in high school and college. got caught up in the nu metal thing for a bit and then headed toward death/brutal death.

this wasn't their best or heaviest song, but it was a fun one to see live. there's an almost minute long drum intro and that would absolutely get the crowd going. good times. cheers

1 minute ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

wow, honestly wasn't expecting the love for CoE. I cut my metal teeth on bands like that in high school and college. got caught up in the nu metal thing for a bit and then headed toward death/brutal death.

this wasn't their best or heaviest song, but it was a fun one to see live. there's an almost minute long drum intro and that would absolutely get the crowd going. good times. cheers

Interesting convo. Who did you cut your metal teeth on?

For me it was really Metallica. One specifically. Then I got into Alice In Chains where I learned I liked the darker stuff. Then my friends older brother introduced me to Pantera. Cemetery Gates on the Demon Knight soundtrack, which then led me to buying Live 101 Proof. 

11 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Interesting convo. Who did you cut your metal teeth on?

For me it was really Metallica. One specifically. Then I got into Alice In Chains where I learned I liked the darker stuff. Then my friends older brother introduced me to Pantera. Cemetery Gates on the Demon Knight soundtrack, which then led me to buying Live 101 Proof. 

I grew up on classic rock, because that's what my dad listened to. Started on the metal journey with Alice in Chains, Metallica, Megadeth - the usual suspects. Found what I could as an minor in the Deep Ellum scene of the mid-late 90's. Like you, first Pantera song I heard was Cemetery Gates and was blown away by it. Heard it on a late night metal radio show in the DFW area and happened to pop in a tape to record the segment. Must have listened to CG 100 times that night.  Moved into black metal like most people blindly feeling their way through metal genres, Like I said above, spent a few years in the nu metal quagmire and then started feeling out heavier and heavier sounds. Started with the likes of early Meshuggah, Slayer, and Cannibal Corpse and even found bands like Hatebreed, Chimaira, Lamb of God, and such. Settled into my genre when I first heard Suffocation, Internal Bleeding, and bands like Bolt Thrower and Immolation. Won't likely ever go back to clean singing bands again, but I can still appreciate them. But you won't find me bumping any of that shit in my car. Cookie monster vocals is my jam. 

Edited by Longhorn_Fan68
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Cookie monster vocals is my jam. 

Haha. It’s so funny how we can have such similar starting paths and come to completely different conclusions. But that’s the beauty of metal. There is so much to choose from. 

I am really specific on my vocals. I like a higher pitched scream, if you will. Unearth, as I lay dying, etc. I got into Lamb of God a little late in the game (post 2006 Sacrament), but they have become a favorite because Randy has a nice mix of the screams and the more guttural stuff. Of course their riffs are very Pantera-like. 

• Drool 1

7 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Haha. It’s so funny how we can have such similar starting paths and come to completely different conclusions. But that’s the beauty of metal. There is so much to choose from. 

I am really specific on my vocals. I like a higher pitched scream, if you will. Unearth, as I lay dying, etc. I got into Lamb of God a little late in the game (post 2006 Sacrament), but they have become a favorite because Randy has a nice mix of the screams and the more guttural stuff. Of course their riffs are very Pantera-like. 

oh yeah, man. the more indecipherable the lyrics the better. 🤣

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

My buddy has two extra for Metallica …..

For Friday and Sunday nights 
Section 208 
Row 7 Seats 18/19
$525/each (no fees and all
That crap from the websites)

Holy god, are those VIP or something?

I've never paid over $100 for any single band ever.

On 8/1/2023 at 2:23 PM, Biff Tannen said:

I like both the screaming and growling.  When the two are combined just right it is perfection. 

The one thing I'm not big on with metal is when a song starts off just absolutely kicking ass, it's jamming along and then the singer starts on a fucking ballad or some other artsy type of vocals.  I'm usually saying to myself, "Hey my dude, if you need a break and can't keep it going that long then make the song shorter or lay down a good riff for a minute."

Edited by Fudge Nuggets
  • Hook 'Em 1