Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

On 3/5/2023 at 9:17 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

Been listening to a lot of Enforeced lately and have the new album pre-ordered.  My favorite from the last album...

this was my first show back from the pandemic and of the bands that played that night, they stood out the most. Exhumed was the headliner and they straight sucked. 

I like the first 1:02 a lot. Just can’t deal with vocals like that. 
That music with more “traditional” vocals — Dickinson, Tate, Bon Scott, (early) Brian Johnson, Marc Storace, Dio, Halford, Mustaine, even Till Lindemann or Dirkschneider  — or the like would be in heavy, cranked-up rotation. 

It’s interesting how particular we can all be. I like most of the bands/singers you mentioned, but for me the music and vocals of bands like Enforced, Power Trip, Spiritworld, High Command, etc are perfect for me. Often times when I hear more traditional singing over heavy music, I find it cheesy (not always though). I also find the black metal vocals on the other end of the spectrum lame and cheesy.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

It’s interesting how particular we can all be. I like most of the bands/singers you mentioned, but for me the music and vocals of bands like Enforced, Power Trip, Spiritworld, High Command, etc are perfect for me. Often times when I hear more traditional singing over heavy music, I find it cheesy (not always though). I also find the black metal vocals on the other end of the spectrum lame and cheesy.

I mean, it doesn’t necessarily need to be something like Dickinson in Hallowed Be Thy Name or anything, but that growly stuff just isn’t something I want to listen to. Just can’t stand it. Something like he does in The Reincarnation of a Benjamin Breeg, once it gets rolling past the intro, I don’t think would sound cheesy with any kind of heavy music, imo  YMMV.

Now, Lindemann can sing, but he can also sound pretty rough. I’m fine with that. Whatever you think about Five Finger Death Punch, Moody’s vocals on You are on the OK side of growling. That style is also fine.  I think Parkway Drive is an example of a band/vocals that straddle the line for me. I like a lot of their stuff, really like the sound, but some of the vocals just go too far, imo  

is there any genre of music that has more subgenres than metal? we might as well be talking about our favorite color. most people don't like what I'm into and I find most of what other people like to be pretty wimpy for my tastes. but metal is a community and it's a huge fucking tent, and that's what I love about it

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I have really specific vocal tastes in metal.  I like more of a scream than "cookie-monster" vocals, as I call them.  Unearth, Lamb of God, Pantera is my sweet spot.  I do enjoy As I Lay Dying as well, but that pushes the boundaries for me.

Oh also Arch Enemy and The Haunted. Don’t want to leave out my Euro peeps. 

is there any genre of music that has more subgenres than metal? we might as well be talking about our favorite color. most people don't like what I'm into and I find most of what other people like to be pretty wimpy for my tastes. but metal is a community and it's a huge fucking tent, and that's what I love about it

Techno got pretty bad for awhile with sub genres.

3 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Techno got pretty bad for awhile with sub genres.

Weird difference I noticed between the genre splits in techno vs metal, I would hear all sorts of techno then get told the genre, in metal I never heard some of the music till I heard the genre.  Don't know if it's the same experience for all.

Man...I FUCKING LOVE that first Black Breath album "Heavy Breathing".  It is right in the sweet spot for me.  Thrashy crossover and my favorite type of vocals for this kind of music.  Their EP and first two albums are all in this vein, but damn, their last album was a disappointment for me.  They changed up their style a bit and I do not like the vocals.  I have been listening to the first album non stop lately. 

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Man...I FUCKING LOVE that first Black Breath album "Heavy Breathing".  It is right in the sweet spot for me.  Thrashy crossover and my favorite type of vocals for this kind of music.  Their EP and first two albums are all in this vein, but damn, their last album was a disappointment for me.  They changed up their style a bit and I do not like the vocals.  I have been listening to the first album non stop lately. 

From the little I've heard I absolutely agree.  Heavy Breathing is like thrash punk almost, but the recent stuff tried to get too death or something.  Just didn't translate well.  

ETA dig this

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Godsmack is pretty easy to hate on, but this is cool

2 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Gonna have to give me a little more reason to click than that.

I'm a cookie monster vocals, dirty fucking grind, give me the hardest shit you can muster dude, but this was actually pretty great. I liked Godsmack for a good minute but got tired of "go away" (iykyk), but this is pretty fun. Good shit. 

• Like 1

The stoner rock thread jarred some memories and I’m kind of in my feels thinking about past lives.  My buddy and I had a label and he got us linked up with an Austin band named Cardinale that didn’t last long. We put out their album 31:13 which consists of one long song. I guess this is post metal?  Fuck I don’t know anymore. Kind of ISIS with vocals. Enjoying listening to this with headphones in the dark. 

On 4/7/2023 at 12:45 AM, Patricio Swayze said:

I am stuck in this crossover mood. Need more suggestions. I like my crossover to be a bit heavier on the thrash. And the vocals a very specific way. I need more like:

Spiritworld
Enforced
Black Breath (first two album’s vocal style)
Power Trip

Iron Reagan and Plague Years are pretty close.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

Hmmm…close but not exactly what I am looking for. I do like death metal along the lines of Sepultura.

Just want some thrash heavy crossover. Really dig the vocals of SpiritWorld, enforced and that first Black Breath album. Thrashy and angry with a solo here and there. Really catches a groove so I when gen z or soccer moms look over at me head banging at a red light they cry or cover their kids’ eyes.

I don’t care for blackened anything. Vocals are just goofy to me.

8 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Hmmm…close but not exactly what I am looking for. I do like death metal along the lines of Sepultura.

Just want some thrash heavy crossover. Really dig the vocals of SpiritWorld, enforced and that first Black Breath album. Thrashy and angry with a solo here and there. Really catches a groove so I when gen z or soccer moms look over at me head banging at a red light they cry or cover their kids’ eyes.

I don’t care for blackened anything. Vocals are just goofy to me.

What about The Haunted?

might have to go check one of those out. was a big fan of the show but wasn't so jazzed about the live version of "Dethklok", but I've mellowed on the idea since. I'm guessing the live shows would end up being pretty fun. and in the end, you are seeing real musicians perform. it's like a meta Spinal Tap.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

I am definitely pumped for that movie.  I was on tour a lot during this show's run and it was staple watching in our hotel rooms.  Religionklok is still one of my favorite things ever.

"Does anyone know where the nearest bar is?!?!"

Haha, the gangly goths. 

I saw the last Dethklok tour and it was great. High on Fire and Mastodon opened. The show itself was Brendan and a band (with none other than Gene Hoglan on drums) darkened out during the songs while the Dethklok videos played on a big screen. It worked well. 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 10:45 PM, Patricio Swayze said:

I am stuck in this crossover mood. Need more suggestions. I like my crossover to be a bit heavier on the thrash. And the vocals a very specific way. I need more like:

Spiritworld
Enforced
Black Breath (first two album’s vocal style)
Power Trip

Iron Reagan and Plague Years are pretty close.

About 2 years old now but you might like "The Warriors Awakening...Brings the Unholy Slaughter" by Eternal Evil.