Shall we talk about heavy music?

Patricio Swayze

On 10/13/2023 at 5:58 PM, bernorange said:

I fell down a Youtube rabbit hole today listening to a few reaction to song videos from vocal coaches and the like and stumbled upon this gem that made me laugh out loud literally.

The brothers always have great reactions to RATM.  There's a highlight video of black people reacting to 'Down Rodeo' and every time they have to pause the clip, eyes get as big as dinner plates and say something along the lines of "What the fuck did he just say?" when Zack hits the opening lines.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

The brothers always have great reactions to RATM.  There's a highlight video of black people reacting to 'Down Rodeo' and every time they have to pause the clip, eyes get as big as dinner plates and say something along the lines of "What the fuck did he just say?" when Zack hits the opening lines.

• Hook 'Em 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Met some metal heads in Fredericksburg this weekend who loved Dissection. Specifically the album “Storm of the Light’s Bane”. I gave it a whirl. Not bad. Not mind bending, but I’ll give it a 7 on Biff’s Metal Meter. 

"Night's Blood" is a classic, but it falls off after that.  Look up info on Jon Nodtveidt at your own peril.

On 12/1/2023 at 12:18 PM, Storm the Field said:

60+ year old Tommy Victor still rocking out with Prong. This song sounds like it could have easily come out back in the mid-90's, alongside "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck"

I DJ'ed the metal show on KTSB in the late 80s-early 90s (I'm old), and the station manager called me out of the blue one day and said "come down here in a hurry."  I arrived and discovered Tommy Victor and Ted Parsons waiting for me at the studio.  Tommy Victor was either just in a bad mood or the biggest asshole "rock star" I ever interviewed (porque no los dos?).  Ted Parsons just smirked the whole time. I do enjoy Force Fed, Primitive Origins, Beg to Differ and Prove You Wrong, but that always left a bad taste.

On 1/27/2024 at 10:33 PM, MC Fresh Breath said:

seems to be close to @Longhorn_Fan68's wheelhouse.  "tech slam"

I've enjoyed the album a few times even though I don't think I understand one single word of it.

oh yeah, definitely in my rotation. I like their first album better. the second album was way too bass guitar-forward for me and at time sounds more like acid jazz than metal. but I still dig those guys and have seen them play twice

this style is starting to creep into my rotation more. not really sure what they call it, but I'd start with muddy slam. anyway, it's sludgy and awesome

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

oh yeah, definitely in my rotation. I like their first album better. the second album was way too bass guitar-forward for me and at time sounds more like acid jazz than metal. but I still dig those guys and have seen them play twice

Yeah, the techy (acid jazzy?) parts are I think kind of what hooked me and apparently lots of other metal writers out there.  Found it on a lot of best of 2023 lists.

Will check out the muddy slam. 

In the meantime, some 'blackened thrash' found on a bandcamp list:

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/31/2024 at 3:33 PM, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

Blood Red Throne appears to have done it again. I'm only 2 minutes in and i can already feel safe recommending the whole album. Continuous greatness from these guys

Hit play on that and then watched Homer on your avatar vibe along. Biggest smile of the day. I recommend it.

• Haha 1

man, Acranius is quickly becoming one of my top bands. they started off a little choppy early in their career but have really honed their craft and they just put out banger after banger. love everything about them. their vocalist is likely my ideal when it comes to my brand of metal. growly and brutal but you can actually understand him. I still love me some cookie monster vocals, but I appreciate when someone can growl through the words.

On 2/3/2024 at 12:23 PM, Bigpoppapump said:

Been jamming this lately.

Haven't checked them out in a while. I know Speckman relocated to the deepest depths of the Czech Republic a few years ago.  

I've been revisiting this classic:

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Storm the Field said:

This one has gone in my gym rotation. Just good old fashioned down-tuned death metal out of Dallas, with a pair of guest solos by Matt Heafy of Trivium.

Think they just got added to the Sanguisugabogg show at mohawk in April. My old ass will be there. Stoked to see Peelingflesh again too

27 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

On this date in 1970 this motherfucker was released and heavy metal was born. Nobody in the band was older than 21, and they followed this with Paranoid just 7 months later. 

Still have my Sabbath Paranoid 8 track (to remind me of my misspent youth).  And the chick on the cover of their first album looks like she’d give you a disease if you got friendly with her, but it would probably be worth it.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/24/2023 at 3:30 PM, Storm the Field said:

Guitarist from Power Trip (RIP) is putting out some more old school thrash metal with his new band. 

The surviving members of Power Trip just announced they're getting back together, and the singer from Fugitive will be their new frontman. Power Trip is back, baby!

Here's some fun footage from a surprise reunion they did at a Fugitive show in Austin back in December.

Edited by Storm the Field
  • Hook 'Em 3