Recommend me a carry-on backpack

Parliament

Do they make a backpack with a phone charger built in? SWA is updating their planes, but there's a damn good chance you'll get one without phone chargers. 

I picked these up for disposable wireless head phones for traveling. Terrific for $25. They're essential in DC, or any other city with mass transit. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/jlab-audio-go-air-pop-true-wireless-earphones-with-mic-in-ear-bluetooth-black/apd/ab881782/audio

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Do they make a backpack with a phone charger built in? SWA is updating their planes, but there's a damn good chance you'll get one without phone chargers. 

I picked these up for disposable wireless head phones for traveling. Terrific for $25. They're essential in DC, or any other city with mass transit. https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/jlab-audio-go-air-pop-true-wireless-earphones-with-mic-in-ear-bluetooth-black/apd/ab881782/audio

is there an instance where a regular battery pack from anker or whoever wouldn't be a better solution than a backpack with a battery stitched into it somewhere?

15 hours ago, elfenix said:

is there an instance where a regular battery pack from anker or whoever wouldn't be a better solution than a backpack with a battery stitched into it somewhere?

The laptop backpack I have just has an external usb port.  Inside the backpack, there's a cable that runs to the little pocket where you store whatever charging brick you may use.  It seems like a good feature, but I actually plug my phone into that external port far less than I anticipated I would.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a bag fetish - there I said it. Tried so many different style and designs and never really hit on the right one.

I think there's a bit of an overall style choices to make - do you want one that is very techy or 'back pack-y' looking, do you want a ton of organization/compartments, or would you prefer versatility in packing it? 

I could not be happier with the Peak Design Travel Backpack (45L) The straps are quite comfortable when it is loaded to the max (and there's even a hide-away waist belt, though I've never used it). It's fairly minimalist looking on the outside, and basically only two main compartments, one with a few smaller zippered areas. The rest is one big cavity which for me adds to the versatility. There is a dedicated laptop sleeve. 

I've filled this thing with cameras, lenses and electronics (using their own equally excellent tech and toiletries bags), I've filled it with my cycling helmet, shoes and gear, or with my ski helmet and gear, I've used it for work trips and love that it doesn't look like my hiking bags. 

Love that there are so many ways to get in the bag with zips on the side and a back clamshell - the latter is great because you lay it down on the outside and open from the portion that is against your back, great for getting your camera gear out and preventing you from getting mud on the part that will touch your body (or digging through it at an airport in nowhere India where whatever on the floor is also questionable). 

They definitely make a lot of stuff geared for photographers, but this is just a great bag in general. Also love all the grab straps at the top, bottom and back of it as it makes it easy to grab and go without even putting it on your back. Bonus bag trolley sleeve as well. 

Pricey but seriously well thought out with a high quality of build. 

Ode to my Peak Design bag...

Edited by Txzen
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 4/17/2023 at 5:25 AM, elfenix said:

No. Literally none. Carry a small powerbank.

It's like the rollaboards that have battery and charging built in, why the hell would you want to build obsolescence in??? Battery eventually won't hold a charge any more or the USB standard changes, and your fancy luggage becomes dead weight luggage.

Now as mentioned, many newer luggage has a little pass-through hole for a charge cable to unobtrusively come out; I had a Kelty backpack with a hole for headphone cable to come out, and that was 20yrs ago. And is still usable today, and the hole works great for a charge cable. Smart future-proofing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 4/15/2023 at 7:16 PM, Mo Horn said:

I'm a Rick Steves fan and we have 2 of his travel backpacks. Love them. 

https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/carry-on-backpack

I'm a Rick Steves fan, too. I have this back pack and about a dozen of  his packing cubes. In an effort to force myself to "pack light" I used the back pack as my carry on last week. Putting it in the overhead was a hassle. It was like trying to lift a plastic bag full of water. No stability or shape. Love the packing cubes, though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

My .02: half the clothes, twice the cash is key.  Plan on doing laundry once every 4-5 days.  You won't miss the stuff you didn't bring.  You will enjoy not dealing with lost bags our carting around a ton of stuff that sits in your hotel room.

I use a Burton Day Hiker 25L

Edited by locodos
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Not that Bob said:

I'm a Rick Steves fan, too. I have this back pack and about a dozen of  his packing cubes. In an effort to force myself to "pack light" I used the back pack as my carry on last week. Putting it in the overhead was a hassle. It was like trying to lift a plastic bag full of water. No stability or shape. Love the packing cubes, though. 

Interesting. I've never had that issue, but maybe I just pack lighter. Mine has never been that heavy, and fit just fine. I tighten down at the straps, and it makes it very manageable. 

17 minutes ago, Chopper said:

It's pricey but my wife loves the Briggs&Riley Traveler bp with the matching carry on. The backpack has a back panel that allows it to slip through the handle of her rolling carry-on. Very convenient for the airport and for boarding.

I much prefer the Briggs and Stratton backpack, so I can mow some lawns too. 
image.thumb.png.d08fac2ccee8397ac01cd88e64f0f0aa.png

BTW if anyone wants to buy my Peak Design bag referenced above Ill make you a hell of a deal.   It's been used once and I just don't see why I'd ever use it again.   If not Ill put it on ebay

Edited by midtown

On 5/1/2023 at 11:51 AM, midtown said:

BTW if anyone wants to buy my Peak Design bag referenced above Ill make you a hell of a deal.   It's been used once and I just don't see why I'd ever use it again.   If not Ill put it on ebay

$3.50?

On 5/1/2023 at 11:51 AM, midtown said:

Are you in Houston ?

that bag looks huge

I bought an eBag laptop backpack about 6 years ago when I started taking overseas business trips.  The thing looks as sharp as it did when it was brand new and has functioned perfectly.  It's smallish because I use it as my personal bag so it fits in the seat in front of seat in front of me, but they have different sizes.  I am recommending because of the great quality and design.

• Hook 'Em 1