identity theft

hayden_horn

On 12/28/2018 at 11:13 PM, wood said:

Personally I avoid using my debit card except when I really need to, exposing it as seldom as possible. We put everything on a Capital One Venture 2x miles card & just pay it monthly. If that card gets exposed, our bank account isn't vulnerable, they'll eat the losses, and they'll change our number & get us new cards pronto. And then we use the miles to pay for lots of travel. It's pretty sweet.

same here. everything on credit. however, gas has been moved over to cash only (which requires and ATM visit). as we have tons of CC fraud and CC skimmers in north central and northeast austin. even in the GD store too, not just at the pump

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a couple of incidents in the last 3 months. First my Murphy gas card got hacked. I only use it at 2 stations on my way to work. One day I forgot to fill up on the way home and had to hit a random station for $5 and used it there. A couple weeks later I get a fraud alert for a charge in Houston and I'm in Fort Worth. Cancelled it and had a new card issued.

I've been getting robocalls from Capitol One but thought they were scammers and blocked them because I don't have a Capitol One card. Or so I thought. Yesterday I get a letter from Capitol One. I have a Cabella's card that I never use. It's been at least 2 years. Thought I had closed the account when they merged with Bass Pro. It got transferred to Captiol One instead. I had over $600 two months over due. Talked to their customer service and all Peggy from Mumbai was interested in was a payment before we could discuss anything. I didn't know what the account number was but I was able to get online and set up a profile. I had several charges from NSA-JUICE-PLUS-ARO-800-642-8056-TN. A quick Google returns 8,000 hits on a scam out of Myanmar. Got that locked down and closed. (for sure this time)

I've had all my credit reports on lockdown since the letter saying I was in the Equifax data breach. Probably was a smart move.

Sumbody got my Amazon email address in November, but didn't cause much damage (purchase anything).  Was a massive kidney stone just to get myself righted in Amazon again.

Probably related but not sure, an illicit purchase was made via PayPal using one of my cc's in December.  Got it wiped/changed cc#', cleaned up a few things.

Nothing after that but yeah, I was digitally slightly raped.

• 3 years later...
21 minutes ago, KYHorn said:

How much time did y'all claim you spent? I got like $8

I had something like 10 CC attempts taken out (only one successfully) and also a IRS tax refund submitted in my name. I still have to get a PIN number from the IRS to file electronically (had to paper file for a while). I also still can’t link my tax information to my kids FASFA and get to manually enter it each year. The $22 has made the experience a lot more palatable. 

• Rage+1 1

28 minutes ago, topochico said:

I had something like 10 CC attempts taken out (only one successfully) and also a IRS tax refund submitted in my name. I still have to get a PIN number from the IRS to file electronically (had to paper file for a while). I also still can’t link my tax information to my kids FASFA and get to manually enter it each year. The $22 has made the experience a lot more palatable. 

That's awful. I had no adverse effects, so you should've gotten way more

3 hours ago, KYHorn said:

That's awful. I had no adverse effects, so you should've gotten way more

Well, his problems aren't a result of the actual Equifax breach...but something else where a person has obtained his identity.  The fact he got $22 is pretty good.

$5-$10 seems to be the average payout.