Family lawyer

What town you in?  Also, can you give a little more info/general category of "lawyer help" you need?  Tax?  Estate?  Divorce/custody & associated stuff?  Wanna start a scat board?  Etc.  "Single father" I presume = some sort of custodial law, but not sure (in which case, the Surl has a terrific lawyer (Hornian).  Anyway that might help.

Edited by phdhorn
  • Like 1

I started this post in an emotional state last night after an altercation with my children's mother, but the point remains the same. I'm interested in taking custody of my daughters, but dont have the financial means to retain any kind of legal service. I claim I'm "a poor" but by no means am I truly indigent. I've never had to hire legal aide, so I dont know how all of this works, honestly. I just know i cant afford it. 

I'm just in a bad spot in life currently, and want to do what's best for my children. They do not deserve any of the shit that they're being forced to go through by their mother. 

• Like 1

Well, unfortunately there is no way to do much legally without some jack.  Don't know in's/out's of financing that, but at least PM Hornian and he can probably get you to something.  There's also Volunteer Legal Services of Texas (they have a web site) but no idea if it would be a waste of time.. but at least you could call them.

Doesn't sound like abuse by the ex or anything but if so, call CPS.

Good luck.  Those issues do suck, no doubt.

I don't mean to sound like a dick at all, but are you prepared for custody of your kids?  They're really expensive to raise, and if you don't have enough money for a simple retainer, are you sure that you have enough money to start raising kids?  Just hoping that you thought this through.

13 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

I don't mean to sound like a dick at all, but are you prepared for custody of your kids?  They're really expensive to raise, and if you don't have enough money for a simple retainer, are you sure that you have enough money to start raising kids?  Just hoping that you thought this through.

My kids are 7 and 3 so it's not something new to me. I've been the non-custorial parent for 5 years now, so yes I'm familiar with it. $1100 of my wages are garnished every month which is equal to how much I pay in rent. Obviously if that were absolved, it would help me greatly.

To answer your question, yes I'm ready for it. The daily logistics would be more of a headache than the finances.

3 hours ago, blacklab said:

Pm hornian

Seconded. I’ve said this before, but when I was getting a divorce I hired Hornian and he did an amazing job. He got me custody of 5 kids, even though we only have 2. He got me full time custody, my wife doesn’t even get visitation. Instead she has to spend her visitation hours washing my car. I got to keep 100% of our assets and somehow I now own her parents’ house? Also I got to keep the dog and she got the cat, but after the decreee was final, Hornian killed the cat. 

Cant recommend I’m enough. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, SurlyBDR said:

My kids are 7 and 3 so it's not something new to me. I've been the non-custorial parent for 5 years now, so yes I'm familiar with it. $1100 of my wages are garnished every month which is equal to how much I pay in rent. Obviously if that were absolved, it would help me greatly.

To answer your question, yes I'm ready for it. The daily logistics would be more of a headache than the finances.

Math question - so you've been a non-custodial parent for 5 years, with daughters 7 & 3. So I'm guessing that the reconciliation after the first 2 years of non-custodial parenthood didn't work out. Proving 2 points that have proven to be true throughout history
a) don't care, had sex
b) as parliament mentioned in post #2, pussy is indeed undefeated

Sorry for your loss (according to the picture, loss of rudeness), good luck - as phd said, you will need some cash for an attorney & it will take time. These changes are never easy, cheap, or quick.

• Like 1