2019 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Bash Riprock

I used to play a lot of dirt field, backyard baseball in high school then put it away...was never an athlete but was good at the plate until we entered a tournament and the pressure got to me.

Then in 2016 I watched the Pokes for hours in the tourney while assembling furniture for my not-yet-born daughter, during our Omaha run...and I was hooked again on the intricacies of a game that appears so simple on the surface. Now I find myself taking a day to watch my bosses son play for the Georgetown Eagles as they try defend their #1 ranking during the HS tournament and watching as much college ball on tv as possible with a 2yo and 5yo that take up all my time.

Love this game. And it’s a better one when a storied program like Texas is a key player...sorry to see y’all struggling so much.

Wish I knew Holliday’s secret because the team seems to peek at crunch time.

47 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Wish I knew Holliday’s secret because the team seems to peek at crunch time.

Baseball is all he has known since he was in diapers.    

He follows his mentors' (his Dad, Gary Ward, Augie) methods to use the regular season to prepare for the postseason.    I include Augie because Josh and he were close.

This is the sort of thing that happen in a league with Baptists. 

eta: I don't get the cancellation at all. I've been watching the radar all day and the storms passed thru Stillwater hours ago and don't look to be any threat to return. wtf.

Edited by El Diablo
Stormtracker update!

eta: I don't get the cancellation at all. I've been watching the radar all day and the storms passed thru Stillwater hours ago and don't look to be any threat to return. wtf.
I read the field was soaked. Seems like it would have been covered. I have no idea how they make those decisions.

Just now, Okie State said:
5 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

I read the field was soaked. Seems like it would have been covered. I have no idea how they make those decisions.

That was hours ago though. Fuck man. They redid Baylor ballpark 4-5 years ago and holy shit you could dump a Biblical flood on that place now and it would drain. They did it right. Ripped up everthang and put in a foot or two of drainage under the entire thing. 

That was hours ago though. Fuck man. They redid Baylor ballpark 4-5 years ago and holy shit you could dump a Biblical flood on that place now and it would drain. They did it right. Ripped up everthang and put in a foot or two of drainage under the entire thing. 
Well...I don't know shit about the drainage at Allie P, but the new park opens next season. I would assume it is designed better than the decades old one.

Doesn't matter now. Get ready to host the regional.

Apparently like five lakes in the outfield at Allie P...sad way to end a regular season for the old girl but it seems we are a lock to host so that should be a proper sendoff. The softball field appears to be open for business, I get it’s a smaller footprint but you’d think we would have more than one pump for baseball...then again Baylor loves to run and hide

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

Apparently like five lakes in the outfield at Allie P...sad way to end a regular season for the old girl but it seems we are a lock to host so that should be a proper sendoff. The softball field appears to be open for business, I get it’s a smaller footprint but you’d think we would have more than one pump for baseball...then again Baylor loves to run and hide

Ha! Aren't they IN Stillwater? For baseball?

My guess is it’s drainage system was more modern since it’s 20 years younger and updated regularly. Allie P has been up for replacement for at least 5 years and I can see them putting off maintenance and upgrades to drainage because they would be kinda wasted with the replacement.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Okie State said:
38 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:
We swept okie lite

Was someone saying you didn't?

I'm guessing that he was highlighting that series as being the turning point of the season.

Tech very well may have played their way into a national seed.

• Like 1

Well...yeah.

We had plenty of chances, losing to KU hurt as well but we ran into a buzzsaw in Lubbock and they are deserving of the title. Of course every team but Tech is full of ‘if onlys’ at this point in the season when it comes to conference hardware.

Congrats to them, looking forward to the tourney.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:17 AM, DeadArmadillo said:

If we try to post only things that Dexter Manley CAN READ , can we post anything at all ?

On 5/18/2019 at 5:10 PM, El Diablo said:

Not nice posting things that Dexter Manley can't read. 

Dexter Manley burns?  Very timely.

Tournament Schedule:

2019 Phillips 66 Big 12 Baseball Championship - Oklahoma City, Okla.

Wednesday, May 22
Session One
Game 1: No. 4 West Virginia vs. No. 5 Kansas - 9:00 a.m. (FCS)
Game 2: No. 1 Texas Tech vs. No. 8 K-State - 12:30 p.m. (FCS)

Session Two
Game 3: No. 2 Baylor vs. No. 7 Oklahoma - 4:00 p.m. (FCS)
Game 4: No. 3 Oklahoma State vs. No. 6 TCU - 7:30 p.m. (FCS)

Thursday, May 23
Session Three
Game 5: Game 1 Loser vs. Game 2 Loser - 9:00 a.m. (FCS)
Game 6: Game 3 Loser vs. Game 4 Loser - 12:30 p.m. (FCS)
Session Four
Game 7: Game 1 Winner vs. Game 2 Winner - 4:00 p.m. (FCS)
Game 8: Game 3 Winner vs. Game 4 Winner - 7:30 p.m. (FCS)

Friday, May 24
Session Five
Game 9: Game 7 Loser vs. Game 5 Winner - 3:15 p.m. (FCS)
Game 10: Game 8 Loser vs. Game 6 Winner - 7:00 p.m. (FCS)

Saturday, May 25
Session Six
Game 11: Game 7 Winner vs. Game 9 Winner - 9:00 a.m. (FCS)
Game 12: Game 8 Winner vs. Game 10 Winner - 12:30 p.m. (FCS)
Session Seven
*Game 13: Winner Game 11 vs. Loser Game 11, If Necessary - 4:00 p.m. (FCS)
**Game 14: Winner Game 12 vs. Loser Game 12, If Necessary*** - 7:30 p.m. (FCS)

Sunday, May 26
Session Eight
Game 15: Championship Game - 1:00 p.m. (FSN)

Times listed in Central.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=10410&ATCLID=211803862

32 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

Way to make it dramatic Tech.  It took 3 pitchers in the 9th to get it done. 

Coach Hughes has made KSt very competitive.

When did Jung move to SS ?    Lost confidence in Baker ?

3 stranded by kstate after a put out at home, and a strikeout

Tech hangs on.

Meant to say force out, my bad.

Naturally Pokes going last means we won’t get started until like 830-900...can we just call it for Baylor now and remind ourselves that OU sucks?

So Pokes, Tech, Baylor and WVU all stay on the winners side. Absolutely zero surprises.

But yeah I love this team. Great defense tonight, we got the W without leaning on Jensen and had just enough offense in an inning to bang it out. Glad we aren’t turning around to play at 1230 tomorrow like TCU will.

• Like 2