2019 Big 12 Baseball Thread

Bash Riprock

D1 Baseball Chat B12 Teams     Not good when Texas is not mentioned either pro or con.     Texas is ranked 39/40 in the 4 major RPI polls.   Unless things change,  may be headed to College Station as a 3 seed (just a guess).

TCU lost 2/3 to KState this past weekend.   Looks like they may have to win B12 Tournament for postseason.  KState playing really well but OU, Baylor, WVU, Kansas remain on schedule.  KState will have to win the B12 tournament for postseason but most teams would rather not play them at this time.  

TCU17: What should I make of TCU at this point? It feels like they’re a good enough team to be in the postseason, but their RPI has tanked with the series against Long Beach State and Eastern Michigan – a combined opponents’ record 45-186-3 and when you add the six games. There is opportunity left with Dallas Baptist and series with Baylor, West Virginia, Texas Tech plus the conference tournament, but they also haven’t played consistently enough to instill much faith that they will take advantage of these opportunities. Are we looking at back-to-back years of missing a Regional?

Kendall Rogers: TCU is a strange club. I think TCU has the horses to go a long way in the postseason if it can just make it there — but the Frogs are just so inconsistent right now. Nick Lodolo looked great one week, then got shelled at Kansas State over the weekend. With an RPI in the 70s right now, TCU has some serious work to do down the stretch to be comfortably in the field. I’m not sure it happens at this point, but I’d like to believe in it.

TECHSAN: Caleb Killian has been on fire the last two starts. These type of performances are what we expected to see at the start of the season. How big of a factor can consistent starts from Killian be to the Red Raiders this late in the season only back 2.5 games? Is there still hope for the Red Raiders to return to a top 10 level club after under performing most of the season?

Kendall Rogers: TECHSAN,
I said this on the Podcast a short bit ago, but Tech has finally started playing like the team we thought it would be coming into the season, and certainly the rise of Caleb Kilian is an integral part of that. I’m excited to see what the Red Raiders do down the stretch because I think their better days are ahead.

Jason: I wanted to get you guys thoughts on how important the next two weekends are for Oklahoma State. This weekend they travel to Lubbock and next weekend to Corvallis if they come out of those at 4-2 what would it mean for there postseason views.

Aaron Fitt: If the Cowboys go 4-2 in Lubbock and Corvallis, I think they’re a stone-cold lock to host a regional, and a really strong contender for a top-eight national seed. That would be a huge, huge splash. And heck, the way they’re playing right now, they’ve got at least a shot.

Aaron Fitt: We’re not trying to predict the field of 64 with our Top 25; we’re just trying to recognize good teams having good seasons. Often that coincides with postseason positioning, but not always. A rambling response that may or may not answer your question, sorry!

https://d1baseball.com/featured/d1baseball-weekly-chat-april-22/

On 4/21/2019 at 6:51 PM, Horny Bull said:
School Big 12   Overall Pct.
Oklahoma State 10 - 5   25 - 13 .658
Baylor 9 - 5   26 - 12 .684
Texas Tech 8 - 7   25 - 13 .658
West Virginia 8 - 7   24 - 14 .632
Oklahoma 6 - 6   27 - 14 .659
TCU 6 - 6   23 - 15 .605
Kansas State 5 - 7   19 - 22 .463
Texas 5 - 9   24 - 18 .571
Kansas 5 - 10   20 - 18 .526

Remaining Big 12 Conference Series

OSU:   at Tech/ at blOU / Baylor

Baylor:  at TCU/ K-State/  at Okie Lite

Tech:  Okie Lite/ at blOU/  TCU 

WVa:  at Texas/  TCU/  at K-State

blOU:  at KSU/  Tech/  OSU/  at Texas

TCU:  Baylor/  at WVa/  KU/  at Tech

K-State:  blOU/  at Baylor/  WVa/  at KU

Texas:  WVa/  at KU/  blOU 

Kansas:  Texas/ at TCU/  K-State

10 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

Except it’s happened 6 times already this season.

From a newspaper article:

”His scoreless innings streak extended to 31 2/3, though Manoah (6-2) warned: “If you start thinking results and stats, you can get in trouble.”

Then again, it’s impossible to ignore the stats from his last three starts: 26 innings with 10 hits allowed, 41 strikeouts and zero walks.”

1 hour ago, torre said:

D1 Baseball Chat B12 Teams     Not good when Texas is not mentioned either pro or con.     Texas is ranked 39/40 in the 4 major RPI polls.   Unless things change,  may be headed to College Station as a 3 seed (just a guess).

https://d1baseball.com/featured/d1baseball-weekly-chat-april-22/

Not that I have confidence in this team, more like confidence that aggy would fuck it up against us, as they always do. Would love to end their season. Again. 

From a newspaper article:

”His scoreless innings streak extended to 31 2/3, though Manoah (6-2) warned: “If you start thinking results and stats, you can get in trouble.”

Then again, it’s impossible to ignore the stats from his last three starts: 26 innings with 10 hits allowed, 41 strikeouts and zero walks.”

Your point is?

3 hours ago, VirginiaLonghorn said:

His performance is undeserving of the whining. 

One guy threw a three hit complete game shutout against the worst team in the conference and had won the award the two previous weeks already

One guy threw a contested one hit complete game shutout against the most storied program in the history of college baseball.  

Tell me that isn't worth a little whining.  

50 minutes ago, Go Pokes said:

One guy threw a three hit complete game shutout against the worst team in the conference and had won the award the two previous weeks already.  One guy threw a contested one hit complete game shutout against the most storied program in the history of college baseball.  

Made me wonder on stats......

Rank School Wins CWS Winning % Appearances Wins per appearance
1 Texas 85 .590 35 2.43
2 Southern California 74 .740 21 3.52
3 Arizona State 61 .616 22 2.77
4 Miami (FL) 48 .533 25 1.92
5 Arizona 43 .589 17 2.53
6 LSU 40 .597 18 2.22
6 Oklahoma State 40 .513 20 2.00
6 Stanford 40 .580 16 2.50
9 Cal State Fullerton 34 .523 18 1.89
10 South Carolina 32 .615 11 2.91

USC has the most Championships -- 12

Texas & LSU  are tied for 2nd most -- 6

1 hour ago, Go Pokes said:

One guy threw a three hit complete game shutout against the worst team in the conference and had won the award the two previous weeks already

One guy threw a contested one hit complete game shutout against the most storied program in the history of college baseball.  

OK, point taken ... although I’m not sure why the average Texas fan cares.

As for beating that “storied” program, the only thing I can discern as a similarity with our previous teams is the uniform. This year’s team is a pitiful representation of Texas baseball ... early season smoke and mirrors notwithstanding.

Lastly, it’s arguable that KU is the worst team in the conference. I suppose that will be settled in a couple of weeks. 

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Made me wonder on stats......

Rank School Wins CWS Winning % Appearances Wins per appearance
1 Texas 85 .590 35 2.43
2 Southern California 74 .740 21 3.52
3 Arizona State 61 .616 22 2.77
4 Miami (FL) 48 .533 25 1.92
5 Arizona 43 .589 17 2.53
6 LSU 40 .597 18 2.22
6 Oklahoma State 40 .513 20 2.00
6 Stanford 40 .580 16 2.50
9 Cal State Fullerton 34 .523 18 1.89
10 South Carolina 32 .615 11 2.91

USC has the most Championships -- 12

Texas & LSU  are tied for 2nd most -- 6

Uggg every time I see this list I cringe that Gary Ward's OSU teams never won a CWS in the 80s or 90s.  We probably should have won it at least 3 times.  Le sigh.

• Like 2

Tuesday (4/23):

New Mexico @ Texas Tech (TTU 6-4)

Stephen F. Austin @ Baylor (BAY 10-0)

Oral Roberts @ Oklahoma State CANCELED

Penn State @ West Virginia CANCELED

Dallas Baptist @ TCU (DBU 9-3)

Oklahoma @ Wichita State (OU 9-4)

Texas @ Texas State (TXST 7-6)

Kansas State @ Omaha (KSU 9-2)

Wednesday (4/24):

New Mexico @ Texas Tech CANCELED

Creighton @ Kansas

Cool stat... as of the 4th inning in today's WVa game, and down 5-2, we've only lost one less game than Kansas (same conf. record).   We've played 26 home games, Kansas only 9.  Nine? Guess the weather sucks.  So Kansas is only about 2 GB us (as that stat goes) despite having played 17 less home games than us.  That's like paper bag over head territory.

2 minutes ago, Doyle Hargreaves said:

He also leaves his pitchers in too long. Can’t do that in Conference games OTR. 

He gets his batters off the field real quicklike.

46 strikeouts by the Pokes in the 3 game series this weekend.

Edited by slorch

Big 12 Overall
Team Record Pct Record Pct
Baylor 12-5 .706 30-12 .714
Texas Tech 11-7 .611 29-13 .690
West Virginia 10-8 .556 26-15 .634
Oklahoma State 10-8 .556 25-16 .610
Oklahoma 8-7 .533 30-15 .667
TCU 6-9 .400 23-19 .548
Kansas State 6-9 .400 21-24 .467
Texas 6-11 .353 25-21 .543
Kansas 5-10 .333 22-20 .524

Remaining Big 12 Conference Series

Baylor:   K-State/  at Okie Lite

Tech:   at blOU/  TCU 

WVa:    TCU/  at K-State

OSU:    at blOU / Baylor

blOU:    Tech/  OSU/  at Texas

TCU:   at WVa/  KU/  at Tech

K-State:    at Baylor/  WVa/  at KU

Texas:    at KU/  blOU 

Kansas:  Texas/ at TCU/  K-State

Edited by LTtxfan

He gets his batters off the field real quicklike.
46 strikeouts by the Pokes in the 3 game series this weekend.
Which is why the earlier take in the thread that our batting was strong could not be further from the truth. Been striking out in droves all season long. Actually for a few years now. We desperately need to bring in someone to coach the kids up on hitting.

1 hour ago, torre said:

B12  RPIs for contending teams as of 29 April.

Tech - 12.     Baylor  21

OKSt  23   OU  38

Texas  45

http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html

Left out West Virginia rpi..... surprisingly #15

Tech - 12.   WVa    15

Baylor  21.  OKSt  23

OU  38.       Texas  45

KSt    84.     TCU    90

KU      97

-------------------------------------------------------

TxSt 32 ..... WOW

As critical as we have all been of Pierce, what the heck has happened to TCU (rpi 90) and their HC Jim Schlossnagle??

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Tech - 12.   WVa    15

Baylor  21.  OKSt  23

OU  38.       Texas  45

KSt    84.     TCU    90

KU      97

TxSt 32 ..... WOW

As critical as we have all been of Pierce, what the heck has happened to TCU (rpi 90) and their HC Jim Schlossnagle??

Yep.  TCU's season has turned from aberration into abortion, quickly.  Their defense is absolutely horrific.  

11 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Yep.  TCU's season has turned from aberration into abortion, quickly.  Their defense is absolutely horrific.  

Yah.... TCU playing as poorly as Texas.... lost 8 of their last 9 games.  Never thought a Jim Schlossnagle team would get swept at home by Baylor.

"TCU committed a season-high five errors to go along with two walks and three hit batters in Friday’s 6-3 loss to the Bears. The Horned Frogs also left 15 runners on base and were 1 for 12 with runners in scoring position."

Hope WVa wins at least 2 games against the horny toads.....

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Tech - 12.   WVa    15

Baylor  21.  OKSt  23

OU  38.       Texas  45

KSt    84.     TCU    90

KU      97

TxSt 32 ..... WOW

Thanks for the correction and adding the remaining B12 teams.    Was pressed for time when I posted,   but no excuse for leaving out WVa after this past weekend.

Schlossnagle was quoted last year stating recruiting is a challenge because of the high rate of tuition at TCU.     But they may have some internal issues - remember Schlossnagle almost went to Miss St last year.   They have great assistants with Saarloos and Mosiello.

Instead of the third paid assistant coach issue which was recently denied,   NCAA really needs to address the scholarship issue.     

Unlike their peers on the football and basketball teams, most Division I baseball players are not on full-ride scholarships, and that puts private schools like TCU at a disadvantage when it comes to recruiting.

NCAA rules limit teams to 11.7 scholarships to divide among a maximum of 27 players. Each player who receives a scholarship must receive at least 25 percent of a full ride.

At TCU — where the cost of attendance tops $60,000— that means a player and his parents could still be on the hook for up to $45,000 a year.

By comparison, a player receiving the same 25 percent scholarship at Texas or Texas Tech would pay $18,700 a year.

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article212140924.html

Edited by torre
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Go Pokes said:

Keep in mind that’s coning from Tech fan. We can only aspire to show the class and sportsmanship they are well known for.

ClubWhatever - who called out your coach - seems to be a UT fan.  The Tech contingent was only commenting on OSU's mouthy players.

ClubWhatever - who called out your coach - seems to be a UT fan.  The Tech contingent was only commenting on OSU's mouthy players.

Ah. So the guy who got to relax on the bench two weekends ago and enjoy some baseball was mouthy? Sounds suspiciously like Club has a case of sour grapes.

What were our players doing that was so mouthy? I didn’t watch because, why would I?