$9.95 worth every penny

futureman

On 4/18/2024 at 1:59 PM, immamac said:

there was one really consistent piece of feedback I got yesterday. A LOT of people like OTF because it's SUPER inclusive and there is no sidebar bullshit or drama between the posters. They are there to be fans and get info and interact with the OTF team, not to talk shit or disagree with each other on hot takes. I think by and large they represent the majority of the fanbase, want to stay current, love the horns, but don't necessarily have many of their own opinions - reflects the gen pop well. 

i think with the existing 9.95er landscape, there is 100% a place for that

limited to no off topic data, super accessible "insiders", focus on sports not drama and bring a tremendous value for what you pay. you guys are set up to be in a great spot the closer we get to the fall - seriously.

i would think there is a place for this concept at some of the other larger schools where folks ("insiders" and posters both) are fed up with the bullshit. give them a piece of the pie, let them do their job pretty straighforward and rock and roll.

i know you are busy but when OTF shows it's level of success, and no clue what the end game is, you guys should absolutely reach out to some other people in the industry and spin this concept off for them using the lessons learned from starting up OTF

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i think with the existing 9.95er landscape, there is 100% a place for that

limited to no off topic data, super accessible "insiders", focus on sports not drama and bring a tremendous value for what you pay. you guys are set up to be in a great spot the closer we get to the fall - seriously.

i would think there is a place for this concept at some of the other larger schools where folks ("insiders" and posters both) are fed up with the bullshit. give them a piece of the pie, let them do their job pretty straighforward and rock and roll.

i know you are busy but when OTF shows it's level of success, and no clue what the end game is, you guys should absolutely reach out to some other people in the industry and spin this concept off for them using the lessons learned from starting up OTF

The reason it works is because we only care about Texas football. The business is just around exactly what you said. We don’t want to help anyone else do it, cuz no other fan base is really like the Texas one. I think we often forget that Texas is the biggest brand in college athletics, especially football. There’s a handful of others that are in the same echelon, but only like 5 schools. The rest are just more about the college football aggregate than a standalone thing. 

4 hours ago, tejas60 said:

or, from Surlyhorns, right click the OTF thread and open in new tab...

I need to see if I can just make the widget open in new tab for you. That would probably be better. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

The reason it works is because we only care about Texas football. The business is just around exactly what you said. We don’t want to help anyone else do it, cuz no other fan base is really like the Texas one. I think we often forget that Texas is the biggest brand in college athletics, especially football. There’s a handful of others that are in the same echelon, but only like 5 schools. The rest are just more about the college football aggregate than a standalone thing. 

Ohio St
Michigan
Texas
Alabama
???

21 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

USC, Notre Dame, these days Georgia. 

I agree with imma, and would add Georgia to his list, based purely on historical, subjective, poor data set evidence of my own.  I reflect on decades of travel and having lived in 3 states. I have seen Michigan, Texas, USC, ND and USC gear all around the country, consistently in up and down years for those programs. There is a big ND USC, and Ohio State presence in Nashville, Austin, Chicago and elsewhere. I don't really see Bama or Georgia stickers much outside the southeast, and sure as hell didn't when they were shitty. Sure, here and there you see those schools, but growing up, never.

Most people from CA that I know who don't have an actual team in the fight default to USC. In the Midwest and Northeast it seems most people pick between Michigan, OSU and ND for alumni or regional/personal reasons. None of those 3 seem to be limited to that region, particularly ND. 

I'm curious and need to do/have a surly member research data regarding apparel/brand sales over the decades as I'm guessing that's a better measure of long term team allegiance and interest.

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Phrasing it as closest makes me feel like there's some fudging of numbers. Let's say Brock Bowers was ranked 15th in his class by On3 and 6th by 247. Is that a win for On3 because they were closest to draft position of 13? Feels like for 1st rounders in particular having the highest ranking should win but I'd be fine using it for all draft picks and the fact that he doesn't clarify that makes me think he knows it's a bad metric.

38 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Phrasing it as closest makes me feel like there's some fudging of numbers. Let's say Brock Bowers was ranked 15th in his class by On3 and 6th by 247. Is that a win for On3 because they were closest to draft position of 13? Feels like for 1st rounders in particular having the highest ranking should win but I'd be fine using it for all draft picks and the fact that he doesn't clarify that makes me think he knows it's a bad metric.

Maybe for absolute evaluation, but it clearly shows which $9.95'er rankings should be dismissed.