Six Feet Under

Nole-4-Life

• 3 weeks later...
On March 29, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Homercles said:

I envy you for getting to see the ending for the first time.

Yeah, when they depart from the format of the entire series where talking to dead people is actually a representation of a character's inner thoughts and it turns into actually communing with the dead in the afterlife. Blecch. 

The first season was great, the second season was pretty great too. Each season got progressively worse from there. I thought the ending sucked. When Nathaniel Sr. stops showing up it's safe to stop watching. 

16 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, when they depart from the format of the entire series where talking to dead people is actually a representation of a character's inner thoughts and it turns into actually communing with the dead in the afterlife. Blecch. 

The first season was great, the second season was pretty great too. Each season got progressively worse from there. I thought the ending sucked. When Nathaniel Sr. stops showing up it's safe to stop watching. 

man, i have read things posted by dumbshit trumpkins on the politics board that i agree with more than this.  good lord.

great series.

Edited by sidis

21 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I'm going to respectfully disagree with this post.

19 hours ago, sidis said:

man, i have read things posted by dumbshit trumpkins on the politics board that i agree with more than this.  good lord.

great series.

Reveal hidden contents

Did you think they were actually speaking to Nathaniel Sr's ghost the whole time? And the ghosts of whatever cadaver they were working on each week?

• 9 months later...

I started this after the series ended, so late Aughts, and I know I made it through the first season. Reading through the episode descriptions, though, I only recognize the S2 premiere. I've been meaning to go back to it for forever but never have. I'm in the middle of a Sopranos re-watch right now but maybe I'll finally get to it this year.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I remember watching a few episodes or more back during its original run.  The only thing I remember was Nate's gf jerking off her client on the massage table and then banging every man that came within a 6 foot radius of her, and the constant tension between the gay brother and his lover, but that's about it.

But I was reading something about the series recently and learned it won a ton of awards and critical acclaim so I started with the first episode a couple of nights ago.

I'm hoping to enjoy it of course, but I have a low tolerance for cynicism or pessimism and this show seems like it might have both in spades.  So we'll see.

Edited by Augustus

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

I remember watching a few episodes or more back during its original run.  The only thing I remember was Nate's gf jerking off her client on the massage table and then banging every man that came within a 6 foot radius of her

That's hilarious.  Most of what I remember too.  God damn she was fine. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2023 at 6:38 PM, Augustus said:

I remember watching a few episodes or more back during its original run.  The only thing I remember was Nate's gf jerking off her client on the massage table and then banging every man that came within a 6 foot radius of her, and the constant tension between the gay brother and his lover, but that's about it.

But I was reading something about the series recently and learned it won a ton of awards and critical acclaim so I started with the first episode a couple of nights ago.

I'm hoping to enjoy it of course, but I have a low tolerance for cynicism or pessimism and this show seems like it might have both in spades.  So we'll see.

I don't think it's all that cynical or pessimistic. It's a black comedy, much like Tar (the movie from last year if you're unaware -- didn't make much of a splash, unfortunately).

Personally I think it's good, but can't stand how heavily they beat you with David's Catholic guilt/shame centered on his gayness. Yeah, that's obviously something that's all too real -- I would know -- but still, it's tiresome and really is suited for someone much younger than his character. Most everything else is good to great, though. Stinks that we won't get as many shows as ambitious as this one, Mad Men, The Sopranos, etc. going forward. It's so easy to point to the "ever-changing economics" or whatever as the culprit, but I think it's really because less and less young (or young-ish) people can write well, whether by themselves or in teams.

• 4 weeks later...

20ish years late to the party, but I think I watched this at the right time. I put it on as background while doing some housing projects, and wasn't particularly hooked immediately, but started paying closer attention as the series went on.

Spoiler

I knew the finale is always heralded as being special, so I was kind of expecting some big twist. But it was brilliant in its simplicity. It's a character-driven show dealing with death. Show us what happens to the characters.

I don't think this would have hit nearly the same as a high school/college kid. But as I approach middle-age, have a young child, and will likely be going to my MIL funeral in the next couple weeks, the end definitely doesn't feel like this abstract concept anymore.