Anybody else notice that seat guru sucks?

Gil Bang

Nope. Airlines make last minute plane swaps all the time, hard to blame Seatguru for that. Seatguru has a pretty solid database of the various seating configurations each airline flies, sometimes it pays to manually select the configuration instead of using their flight number search.

I was pleasantly impressed recently: booked a flight and the seat selection screen was tied in to Seatguru, so I could see the seat rating right there in the seat selection screen.

I don’t think it’s last minute when seat guru shows a 3 class aircraft, and the actual plane is 2 class, and the flight attendant tells you that she flys the route regularly and it’s always the same configuration.

Oh, re-read your post. How are you supposed to know the seat configuration without seat guru telling you?

How do you typically book and select seats? Some booking methods will tell you the plane and configuration right on your e-ticket.

Otherwise, the seat selection screen is <usually> the correct configuration for the flight - do you visually compare the overall layout to the layout Seatguru is showing you? Bulkhead locations, interrupted seat rows, exit rows, are easy to visually compare.) That's an easy final check to make sure you've got the right configuration pulled up.

19 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

I don’t think it’s last minute when seat guru shows a 3 class aircraft, and the actual plane is 2 class, and the flight attendant tells you that she flys the route regularly and it’s always the same configuration.

Oh, re-read your post. How are you supposed to know the seat configuration without seat guru telling you?

What airline and do you normally book tickets direct or through a portal like Expedia?

I only book direct through the airline and when I do that, I'm always presented the option to see what metal I'm flying & available seats (in all classes) on each  route before I book.  In the rare case I'm flying something atypical, I'll pop over to Seatguru and make sure I'm not picking a bad seat.

I also check my reservations somewhat occasionally pre-flight as equipment changes from the carrier I believe are required to be posted and they also must allow you to make certain flight changes without a change penalty.

Nope, they still rock.

On my recent Frontier flight (nuthin' but the best for Ol' Nappy), I punched in the flight number and they gave me 2 plane configurations.

Since I had been randomly assigned seat 29E, I knew that the plane configuration with only 28 rows was most likely not my plane, unless I was sitting with the flight attendants in the rear bulkhead.

(I ended up getting 3 seats across and that was kind of awesome. Especially for a $39 flight.)

3 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I had plane changes several time this year... AA seems to be rolling out 777s on various domestic routes and I've tried to grab a premium economy seat but many Times is switched to a 2 class.

I found this previously to help figure out the difference.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/07/aa-inconsistent-777-200-fleet/

So, to demonstrate, I just went on AA.com to book a flight; LAX-HNL on 3/12.  Flight #31.   Seat Guru shows the flight as 

Airbus A321 (32B) Layout 3.  That's a cabin with 10 "Suite" Seats in First, 20 lay flat Business seats, and 72 coach seats. 

The actual aircraft as shown on AA.com has 16 first class reclining seats, 38 in MCE, and 127 in Coach.  That's also the one that I flew last week (no, I didn't visit Rocko). 

That discrepancy isn't due to an equipment swap, that's due to seatguru suckage.  AA uses the above metal on every single flight  from LAX-HNL, and seatguru gets it wrong every time. 

On 3/7/2019 at 5:43 AM, Napoleon said:

On my recent Frontier flight (nuthin' but the best for Ol' Nappy), I punched in the flight number and they gave me 2 plane configurations.

Since I had been randomly assigned seat 29E, I knew that the plane configuration with only 28 rows was most likely not my plane, unless I was sitting with the flight attendants in the rear bulkhead.

To be fair, it was Frontier so it's plausible.

48 minutes ago, RPM said:

To be fair, it was Frontier so it's plausible.

For $78 round-trip from Denver to Santa Barbara, I was willing to work with the flight crew on my seating arrangement. 

When they put me in Row 30 so that I could lie across all three seats and sleep nearly 2 hours on my way home, they made a budget loving fan. 

1 hour ago, Gil Bang said:

So, to demonstrate, I just went on AA.com to book a flight; LAX-HNL on 3/12.  Flight #31.   Seat Guru shows the flight as 

Airbus A321 (32B) Layout 3.  That's a cabin with 10 "Suite" Seats in First, 20 lay flat Business seats, and 72 coach seats. 

The actual aircraft as shown on AA.com has 16 first class reclining seats, 38 in MCE, and 127 in Coach.  That's also the one that I flew last week (no, I didn't visit Rocko). 

That discrepancy isn't due to an equipment swap, that's due to seatguru suckage.  AA uses the above metal on every single flight  from LAX-HNL, and seatguru gets it wrong every time. 

I think that is because it is A321 (321) layout 1 on seatguru. You can change it on the left hand side of the page. 

Yeah, I realize that I can change it, but the fact is, seatguru has the wrong configuration for that particular flight, and many others.  You give them the flight number, they give you the wrong layout. 

Edited by Gil Bang

This thread makes me laugh. Your best bet is to use Flightradar24 to look up flight number and see what registration has been used for the past couple of weeks. Google the registration numbers and see what the seat chart is. 

Airlines are slowly introducing new seat configurations to compete with one another and it gets confusing. 

Edited by Telegraph_it

• 1 month later...

On 3/10/2019 at 5:24 PM, Gil Bang said:

Pro-Tip: AA will never fly the 3 class A321 from LAX-HNL. 

I never liked using SeatGuru's search by flight number feature. Go to the airline, pick the config that matches the aircraft type on your airline reservation.