The official update thread for former Longhorns

Goo Punch

I assume that's good for his draft slot?  I would think another year and he'd be making that per year, and not per three years?  No idea, how the draft works in NBA.  Don't care.  Wish Greg the best.  Our team is locked and loaded.  Just seems like not a mind-bottling amount of money for a guy that was projected so high this time a year ago.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

I assume that's good for his draft slot?  I would think another year and he'd be making that per year, and not per three years?  No idea, how the draft works in NBA.  Don't care.  Wish Greg the best.  Our team is locked and loaded.  Just seems like not a mind-bottling amount of money for a guy that was projected so high this time a year ago.  

He got just under $2.5MM is guaranteed. As a 2nd round pick he essentially gets a 2 year deal if he's given any guaranteed dollars. I hate to say it, but GBIII has looked like a completely unrefined project player. A designation you typically don't see for young NBA wing players. In the few games I've watched of his he's had his patented, take off before I dribble, travelling violation multiple times already, which is a hard thing to do in the lax NBA. 

2 hours ago, Llogg said:

Dude just got guaranteed $4M at age 18 or 19 and you think he should be disappointed?

I don't think he should be disappointed. Just seemed like at this time last year, or at this time, next year...he'd be guaranteed $6-$8mm plus.  I'm not genius at the time value of money, but it seems like he'd be worth more with the other two options rather than the one in the middle.  Again, $4m is nice at his age, but it just doesn't have the NPV of the other two.  But to each his own.  The next agent to teach this concept to a potential draftee will be the first.  

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

I don't think he should be disappointed. Just seemed like at this time last year, or at this time, next year...he'd be guaranteed $6-$8mm plus.  I'm not genius at the time value of money, but it seems like he'd be worth more with the other two options rather than the one in the middle.  Again, $4m is nice at his age, but it just doesn't have the NPV of the other two.  But to each his own.  The next agent to teach this concept to a potential draftee will be the first.  

To make $5 mil per year on your rookie deal, you gotta be like a top 5 pick. I dont think that was in his future, I don't care how many years he stuck around UT

On 8/15/2021 at 2:03 PM, shadow_operative said:

D86D852B-432B-49E9-9E90-9C1DE4E9DCDB.jpeg

On 8/15/2021 at 6:06 PM, Catdaddyhorn said:

He got just under $2.5MM is guaranteed. As a 2nd round pick he essentially gets a 2 year deal if he's given any guaranteed dollars. I hate to say it, but GBIII has looked like a completely unrefined project player. A designation you typically don't see for young NBA wing players. In the few games I've watched of his he's had his patented, take off before I dribble, travelling violation multiple times already, which is a hard thing to do in the lax NBA. 

I was just looking at our 3 big guys who were drafted and their stats in their summer league games.

Kai Jones- REBOUNDING STUD!! I think that he always starts and got 16 rebounds in one game (in under 30 minutes of play). He's like a combo of John Salley (size) and Dennis Rodman (spring, hustle, and and tenacity) when they were rookies in Detroit contributing to those late '80s/early '90s Detroit Pistons teams challenging the Lakers before toppling them.

Jericho Sims- Solid to very good rebounding, minimal offensive production, will be a slightly less impactful player than Jones, but knows his role. Usually starting.

Greg Brown III- Always a reserve, though not even on the bench for one game (unless I missed it), and had okay points one game, had maybe 10 rebounds (or 9) another game, fouled out another game, a minor contributor... in the summer.

I feel that Greg Brown 3 turning his middling summer league performances coming off the bench into $2.5 million guaranteed is an amazing achievement. He has the potential to stay in the NBA for a while if someone decides to dedicate resources into developing him. This contract says that someone feels strongly enough about that to develop him. Maybe the one game that he had beaucoup de rebounds, they directed him to solely focus on that and they saw what he could do in that capacity, so they figured that for rebounding alone, he was worth taking a flyer.

I wish them all the best, but I think that we'll see a lot of Kai, a steady feed of Jericho (nearly every game), and then sporadic strings of games from Greg this year, with Greg also getting some run in the G-League... but making a hell of a lot more than most of the other guys in the G-League.

I forgot to check Sacramento's Summer League games, so I'm not sure how Matt Coleman 3 has been doing. Will get on that now...

EDIT UPDATE:

Matt Coleman III- Has looked solid on the box scored. Did not play one game, shot like crap and had a negative +/- one game, but then had positive +/- in all his other games and has played at least 12 minutes in every game that he's played, with a high being 27 minutes one game the he also had 14 points, 4 ast, 2 rbs and a +4 +/-.

Davion Mitchell was drafted by the Kings and is the star of their summer league team, so it's difficult for him to shine, but in Davion's worst game, when he shot shit and had 4 points and a -6 +/- in 23 minutes, Matt played 15 minutes and had 7 points and a +24 +/-, so he's got that going for him.

I would expect him to get a G League contract out of his summer performances, but maybe he turns that down for going overseas. Who knows... but Matt is doing very well for himself in the time he's on the court.

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I was just looking at our 3 big guys who were drafted and their stats in their summer league games.

Kai Jones- REBOUNDING STUD!! I think that he always starts and got 16 rebounds in one game (in under 30 minutes of play). He's like a combo of John Salley (size) and Dennis Rodman (spring, hustle, and and tenacity) when they were rookies in Detroit contributing to those late '80s/early '90s Detroit Pistons teams challenging the Lakers before toppling them.

Jericho Sims- Solid to very good rebounding, minimal offensive production, will be a slightly less impactful player than Jones, but knows his role. Usually starting.

Greg Brown III- Always a reserve, though not even on the bench for one game (unless I missed it), and had okay points one game, had maybe 10 rebounds (or 9) another game, fouled out another game, a minor contributor... in the summer.

I feel that Greg Brown 3 turning his middling summer league performances coming off the bench into $2.5 million guaranteed is an amazing achievement. He has the potential to stay in the NBA for a while if someone decides to dedicate resources into developing him. This contract says that someone feels strongly enough about that to develop him. Maybe the one game that he had beaucoup de rebounds, they directed him to solely focus on that and they saw what he could do in that capacity, so they figured that for rebounding alone, he was worth taking a flyer.

I wish them all the best, but I think that we'll see a lot of Kai, a steady feed of Jericho (nearly every game), and then sporadic strings of games from Greg this year, with Greg also getting some run in the G-League... but making a hell of a lot more than most of the other guys in the G-League.

I forgot to check Sacramento's Summer League games, so I'm not sure how Matt Coleman 3 has been doing. Will get on that now...

EDIT UPDATE:

Matt Coleman III- Has looked solid on the box scored. Did not play one game, shot like crap and had a negative +/- one game, but then had positive +/- in all his other games and has played at least 12 minutes in every game that he's played, with a high being 27 minutes one game the he also had 14 points, 4 ast, 2 rbs and a +4 +/-.

Davion Mitchell was drafted by the Kings and is the star of their summer league team, so it's difficult for him to shine, but in Davion's worst game, when he shot shit and had 4 points and a -6 +/- in 23 minutes, Matt played 15 minutes and had 7 points and a +24 +/-, so he's got that going for him.

I would expect him to get a G League contract out of his summer performances, but maybe he turns that down for going overseas. Who knows... but Matt is doing very well for himself in the time he's on the court.

Kerwin Roach has been playing with the Clippers too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Coleman is lighting it up tonight! Only played 5 minutes until the last minute of the 3rd quarter, but hasn't missed yet. He's playing the 4th and about halfway through the quarter:

M. Coleman III: 11 mins, 6-6 shooting, 2-2 from 3 point, 1 Reb, 3 assists, 1 steal, 1 turnover, 1 foul +13 +/-.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ive spent the last hour watching LA, KD, Sims, Bamba, Allen, and Turner all balling out. Sims is killing it on the glass, LA is swishing 18 footers left and right, Turner is 8/9 with 24 points and 2 blocks in 17 minutes, and KD is KD. crazy how many 6'10" plus guys we have all playing (and playing well) at one time.