[Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here

Yama Yak Yachtzi

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So who would we target? O’Sullivan? Mitch Cannon? Wake forest coach? Duke has been solid lately. Their coach? Schloss would be fun to piss of those sheep fucking cocksuckers 

Wake coach just signed an extension and it’s a private school so we don’t know the details, but I’d imagine that’s more than doable. Same goes for Duke. UVA should also be doable

ECU coach is a legacy with a burning desire to get them over the hump and to Omaha, but we could comfortably 2-3x his number. 

FSU coach put us in the dirt in 2022, but I don’t know if I’m giving him credit there or chalking that up to Pierce in Omaha. Also another legacy. 

Probably end up just giving more than half of that list raises, but they’d all be upgrades who could immediately hit the ground running with the SEC recruiting bump

Edited by UnhappilyMarried

3 hours ago, troph said:

If you know he’s done get on with it. SEC is next year I’m not interested in Texas being a doormat in our most dominate sport. 

I’m usually super patient but I’m convinced CWS appearances is his ceiling. That’s not good enough. 

make TCU coach say no imo

2 hours ago, Hondo said:

People don't understand this and when someone brings it up, they misinterpret it as a knock on the program.  It's not a knock on the program at all.  In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the program.  It's a reflection of what young players in 2024 value.  Texas Baseball hasn't changed, the kids have.  

Hell, you can see it at the root - in Little League/travel ball.  Everything is all about individualism and style/swag.  Walk up songs, rings for every f'n tournament, pictures, videos, stupid haircuts, etc.  Baseball used to be about baseball; now playing baseball is only about 50% of it.  The other 50% is about attention, hype, Instagramable moments, etc.  It's more about being "special/unique", the kid's "personal brand", and less about the game itself.

It's no wonder when they get to college, they gravitate toward places that are extensions of the same.

Personally, I like Texas' "look/act like a professional" culture and I hope we never change.  But we're going to have to make up for it in some other way, whether NIL, facilities, or something.

This is boomer doomer shit

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Wake coach just signed an extension and it’s a private school so we don’t know the details, but I’d imagine that’s more than doable. Same goes for Duke. UVA should also be doable

ECU coach is a legacy with a burning desire to get them over the hump and to Omaha, but we could comfortably 2-3x his number. 

FSU coach put us in the dirt in 2022, but I don’t know if I’m giving him credit there or chalking that up to Pierce in Omaha 

I’m not sure why everyone is so high on Walter at WF. He’s a slightly plus 500 coach for his career, and he’s been to Omaha once in 10 years. Tell me how he makes us better?

Godwin ain’t going anywhere.

Link Jarrett is a decent shout. Done it at a couple places.

1 hour ago, troph said:

I don’t think prohibiting gold chains, mullets and mustaches is the problem - and I hope we don’t change. That style is laughable they look like fucking goobers.

I think the problem is facilities (compared to LSU), NIL, recruiting, conference affiliation, and coaching - not necessarily in that order. I’d honestly consider the turf (as opposed to grass and dirt) a minor problem but a problem nonetheless. 

It needs to change....this isn't the 90s...hell it's straight up NY Yankees BS. 

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Sarloos hasn’t proven much and the guy just lost 2 of 3 to KU and now 2 of 3 to OU. Yea I’m sure our fan base would be cool with that.

he would be a better higher now than pierce was at the time.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Who cares? What does that have to do with performance?

The dumbest argument made on this website is that DP somehow isn’t the guy because he wasn’t the 1st choice hire. He got hired 8 years ago, I think we can make decisions based on other factors.

Edited by hobbes2702

It's just a stupid antiquated bullshit that doesn't do anything to help bring in talent. It's not like we're the Yankees and paying out the ass for players for baseball. So yeah, change shit up....why does it matter that our guys need to be shaved, can't wear jewelry, etc? It doesn't....just let them do it....cause who actually gives a shit if a kid has a beard.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The dumbest argument made on this website is that DP somehow isn’t the guy because he wasn’t the 1st choice hire. He got hired 8 years ago, I think we can make decisions based on other factors.

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Yeah, Mitch Canham is my vote. He’s young, has two rings, and has done really well thus far. Only issue is he’s an OSU guy through and through. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

It's just a stupid antiquated bullshit that doesn't do anything to help bring in talent. It's not like we're the Yankees and paying out the ass for players for baseball. So yeah, change shit up....why does it matter that our guys need to be shaved, can't wear jewelry, etc? It doesn't....just let them do it....cause who actually gives a shit if a kid has a beard.

I’m not talking about that, although I have no issues with our team rules. I believe there is value in highlighting the team over the individual, especially in a sport like baseball where individuals get plenty of chances to shine.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not talking about that, although I have no issues with our team rules. I believe there is value in highlighting the team over the individual, especially in a sport like baseball where individuals get plenty of chances to shine.

So fucking dumb....honestly. How does a beard put an individual over a team? How does a necklace or bracelet put an individual over a team? It doesn't.

Let me guess the black players can't have dreads because that will put them above the team? Sorry kid, we can't recruit ya you have tattoos and that puts you above the team. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m not sure why everyone is so high on Walter at WF. He’s a slightly plus 500 coach for his career, and he’s been to Omaha once in 10 years. Tell me how he makes us better?

shiny new thing 

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

So fucking dumb....honestly. How does a beard put an individual over a team? How does a necklace or bracelet put an individual over a team? It doesn't 

It’s the idea of not showing yourself off. It’s not that hard to understand. You don’t have to agree with it but I don’t think beards and chains are why we aren’t winning.

Again though, I wasn’t even commenting on that. I was commenting on why you think it matters what choice DP was when hired initially and what it has had to do with performance.

Edited by hobbes2702

There isn’t a single better developer of pitching and hitting talent in baseball than Walter right now. And he grabbed arguably the biggest, most contested pitching target in the history of the portal last year. Between last year and this year, he’ll have like 3 arms and 3 bats drafted higher than any Pierce guy (Ty is highest around 30ish if I recall).

Id think it’d be easier to pull Godwin than Jarrett. Jarrett just got home, I wouldn’t think he’s leaving after 2 years. Godwin has probably maxed out what he can do at ECU

Posted (edited)

It’s the idea of not showing yourself off. It’s not that hard to understand. You don’t have to agree with it but I don’t think beards and chains are why we aren’t winning.

So having a beard or long hair is showing off now? lmao a lot of fucking surly members sure are show offs. If you actually believe these things you're typing you're a complete fucking moron. Talent acquisition and talent retention....those is what wins...if getting rid of stupid ass fucking rules like above for the team helps in any of those it's worth it. 

1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

There isn’t a single better developer of pitching and hitting talent in baseball than Walter right now. And he grabbed arguably the biggest, most contested pitching target in the history of the portal last year. Between last year and this year, he’ll have like 3 arms and 3 bats drafted higher than any Pierce guy (Ty is highest around 30ish if I recall).

Id think it’d be easier to pull Godwin than Jarrett. Jarrett just got home, I wouldn’t think he’s leaving after 2 years. Godwin has probably maxed out what he can do at ECU

And he’s done so well with it in ten years that he got to Omaha one fucking time. So if he is that great at development, then he sucks at actual coaching 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

So having a beard or long hair is showing off now? lmao a lot of fucking surly members sure are show offs. If you actually believe these things you're typing you're a complete fucking moron.

I don’t think that’s showing off, but Gus and Augie both did. I guess they are complete fucking morons. Again you’re arguing about shit that just doesn’t really matter. The clean cut program is not the problem in anyway. You’re grasping at straws

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

I don’t think that’s showing off, but Gus and Augie both did. I guess they are complete fucking morons. Again you’re arguing about shit that just doesn’t really matter. The clean cut program is not the problem in anyway. You’re grasping at straws

Augie is dead and this isn't the 90s and early 00s. Who gives a shit anymore. NIL/Transfer portal changes everything.

Posted (edited)
Just now, BurntOrange&White said:

Augie is dead and this isn't the 90s and early 00s. Who gives a shit anymore.

Why is this so important to you? Do you think beards and chains are the answer to winning baseball games? Who gives a shit is right.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

make TCU coach say no imo

I would be kinda disappointed if he’s the hire. People bitch about Pierce being the 5th choice but Saarloos should also be out 3rd or 4th choice if we want the best guy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

dumb team rules like that are just outdated. Skennes pitcher last season with a mustache, semi mullet = title, #1 pick, $13mil, and nailing the hottest female D1 athlete ever 

go shake a fist at a cloud 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

dumb team rules like that are just outdated. Skennes pitcher last season with a mustache, semi mullet = title, #1 pick, $13mil, and nailing the hottest female D1 athlete ever 

go shake a fist at a cloud 

Yet again, im not even arguing for or against it. I’m saying it’s fucking irrelevant. I bet we didn’t get Skenes because we told him he couldn’t have a mustache. Probably was super important to his decision. 

The only ones shaking their fist at clouds are the people that think those rules are having any impact on anything.

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

Sarloos hasn’t proven much and the guy just lost 2 of 3 to KU and now 2 of 3 to OU. Yea I’m sure our fan base would be cool with that.

I’d burn this mother fucker to the ground if we hired that douche

Hey how bout Vitelo? What do you say @Js1?

Yet again, im not even arguing for or against it. I’m saying it’s fucking irrelevant. I bet we didn’t get Skenes because we told him he couldn’t have a mustache. Probably was super important to his decision. 

But would we allow the Hitler stash?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Augie is dead and this isn't the 90s and early 00s. Who gives a shit anymore. NIL/Transfer portal changes everything.

college baseball (and football) has to be ran like a pro team now - you build a small core then find rental pieces to elevate the program. Repeat the next year.

and those core pieces have to be recruited to stay year round. The UT staff needs more scouts, imo 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

I’d burn this mother fucker to the ground if we hired that douche

Hey how bout Vitelo? What do you say @Js1?

But would we allow the Hitler stash?

Fuck that. Vitello is a joke

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

college baseball (and football) has to be ran like a pro team now - you build a small core then find rental pieces to elevate the program. Repeat the next year.

and those core pieces have to be recruited to stay year round. The UT staff needs more scouts, imo 

This is 1000% correct. I dunno how that works but we need more talent eval

• Hook 'Em 2

Watched CWS favorite Tennessee last year have the hair cuts, loud mouths, celebration pieces and flipping opponents off rounding the bases, and they end up getting beat by Notre Dame in the supers at home. You can’t be all flash like most kids want to these days. There needs to be culture of what it takes to win, and a part of that is discipline. LSU has a pretty good balance right now imo. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Jarrett is one of the top handful of coaches in college baseball and will quickly turn Fl St into a perennial powerhouse, as I think he could at any school with good resources.  But I bet he isn't going anywhere.  He is well paid, he and his wife grew up in Tallahassee, he was an All-American and an asst coach for Martin and both he and his wife's parents live in Tallahassee.

Fuck that. Vitello is a joke

This is 1000% correct. I dunno how that works but we need more talent eval

find a top pitching coach, match his salary to scout hs / jc / D1 pitchers to target 

repeat for a top hitting coach 

ut athletics has the money. Spend it for results, not on people that sit around belmont 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think there is something to be said for letting a player’s individual traits shine to aid their comfort level and groove. There are ways to make it work, obviously. Are we not getting the right guys because of historic team rules? I don’t know. I’d like to have some decent pitching and defense again, though. 

Just now, ConferenceRoom said:

I think there is something to be said for letting a player’s individual traits shine to aid their comfort level and groove. There are ways to make it work, obviously. Are we not getting the right guys because of historic team rules? I don’t know. I’d like to have some decent pitching and defense again, though. 

4 years ago we had one of the best pitching staffs in last 15 years of CBB. No one had beards or mustaches.

How did we ever manage to get them on campus with such rules? 

Again, this is just such a non issue we shouldn’t be wasting our breath.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

4 years ago we had one of the best pitching staffs in last 15 years of CBB. No one had beards or mustaches.

How did we ever manage to get them on campus with such rules? 

Again, this is just such a non issue we shouldn’t be wasting our breath.

Cool, who is the guy in charge of pitching because this isn't 4 years ago....we should fire that guy. For fucks sake, people don't even want to coach for the guy....can't imagine how players actually feel about him.

If it's such a non-issue then get rid of those rules. easy.

Cool, who is the guy in charge of pitching because this isn't 4 years ago....we should fire that guy. For fucks sake, people don't even want to coach for the guy....can't imagine how players actually feel about him.

I thought the problem was beards and chains?

No one said he’s not an asshole. That’s likely a problem, but if you think we are going to hire a big time baseball coach that doesn’t grate on people then I dunno what to tell you.

Link Jarrett (FSU) is elite. One of the best coaches/recruiters in the country. As mentioned, FSU legacy.

Eric Bakich (Clemson) is someone I haven’t seen mentioned and I also think he is very good. 46 years old and took Michigan to the CWS.

Saarloos is on the list but he isn’t at the top. People forget that TCU was picked to win the Big 12 last year and finished 4th, almost missing out on a regional all together before getting hot and making it to Omaha. His team this year ain’t looking too hot right now. He also made a very questionable decision as a pitching guy to bring in a fired pitching coach from Arizona who doesn’t have their staff looking good.

Chris Pollard (Duke) does a great job with the resources of a G5 school.

I don’t say this to bitch but there are a good coaches who would do very well here who we won’t give the time of day to because they coach at schools like Kansas or Campbell or UC Santa Barbara.

Tulo is on the list but he better have a good plan to put people around him who know what they are doing as someone who has never managed a college baseball game. If he is doing this for the right reasons and is all-in, he would wreck the portal and recruiting.

8 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

find a top pitching coach, match his salary to scout hs / jc / D1 pitchers to target 

repeat for a top hitting coach 

ut athletics has the money. Spend it for results, not on people that sit around belmont 

Wake Forrest pitching facilities are the best in the country.....

7 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

Select ball 

top middle school aged kid  are getting flown into tournaments to pitch / hit for the weekend. Then flown home 

middle school kids

Biggest assholes in college baseball: Jay Johnson, Dave Van Horn, Jim Schlossnahle, Tony Vitello (players love him, fans don’t), Kevin O’Sullivan.

I’m beginning to notice a trend…..

If everyone loves you, you probably suck at your job and are a pushover.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Wake Forrest pitching facilities are the best in the country.....

LSU has the hitting science center, a pitching science center is a great idea

the next coach and his staff, need to have this mindset. this is baseball is now ….

correa is speaking nothing but the truth here. he’s damn smart 

39 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

This is boomer doomer shit

This is "my reading comprehension sucks and I can't understand anything that's not broken down into easily digestible soundbites - but I really want to reply and since I'm unable to articulate my thoughts, I'll just be a dismissive little twat" shit.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, Hondo said:

People don't understand this and when someone brings it up, they misinterpret it as a knock on the program.  It's not a knock on the program at all.  In fact, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the program.  It's a reflection of what young players in 2024 value.  Texas Baseball hasn't changed, the kids have.  

Hell, you can see it at the root - in Little League/travel ball.  Everything is all about individualism and style/swag.  Walk up songs, rings for every f'n tournament, pictures, videos, stupid haircuts, etc.  Baseball used to be about baseball; now playing baseball is only about 50% of it.  The other 50% is about attention, hype, Instagramable moments, etc.  It's more about being "special/unique", the kid's "personal brand", and less about the game itself.

It's no wonder when they get to college, they gravitate toward places that are extensions of the same.

Personally, I like Texas' "look/act like a professional" culture and I hope we never change.  But we're going to have to make up for it in some other way, whether NIL, facilities, or something.

How much of this is a hangover from the Garrido era, when i understand all the tech was completely missing? 

I am of the understanding that Pierce at least runs a "modern" program. Is he behind the curve or is that a bit of a hangover? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

LSU has the hitting science center, a pitching science center is a great idea

the next coach and his staff, need to have this mindset. this is baseball is now ….

correa is speaking nothing but the truth here. he’s damn smart 

Easier said than done. No way lsu comes close to having those things without Marucci in their back pocket. Texas can do it but it will take a massive commitment from big money donors. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

How much of this is a hangover from the Garrido era, when i understand all the tech was completely missing? 

I am of the understanding that Pierce at least runs a "modern" program. Is he behind the curve or is that a bit of a hangover? 

I had heard he was hesitant initially to get very modern but I think Gordon, or maybe Longley, especially changed that. @Hookem2147 probably knows more here.

Supposedly we have a great NIL setup, but we continue to get outbid so…

Our facilities are better than they used to be but we still need more in that department.

Edited by hobbes2702

I had heard he was hesitant initially to get very modern but I think Gordon especially changed that.

Our facilities are better than they used to be but we still need more in that department.

land space is a huge issue ?

Just now, tx 3 putt said:

land space is a huge issue ?

I would think so. The Brown center is nice, and there is some pretty modern pitching tech in there that Roger paid for.  But on the hittting end I think it’s basically just cages.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I had heard he was hesitant initially to get very modern but I think Gordon especially changed that.

Facilities are mostly fine now. We were the last Big 12 team to have an indoor until ours finally opened 2-3 years ago or whenever that was.

There was a heavy emphasis on retaining players and getting HS guys to campus with NIL dollars. Witt, LBJ, Brown, Gasparino, Powell, etc. Maybe that is where the miscalculation was. There was also a thought Lucas Gordon was going to return and that caught some off guard.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1

I would think so. The Brown center is nice, and there is some pretty modern pitching tech in there that Roger paid for.  But on the hittting end I think it’s basically just cages.

Wonder if they ever pick the brain of the hitting coach next door with the baseball background 

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to [Surly Official Firing Squad] Get David Pierce The Fuck Outta Here