Electrician Installing Ceiling Fans

A few weeks ago one of the big storms knocked power out of a line in my house, zapping a light fixture and a few ceiling fans in the process. I had an electrician come out and he recommended a new breaker box (hasn't been updated since 1985 when the home was built) and said he'd install new fans and a light fixture for me while he does the job. He's coming out tomorrow to do the work, and I've bought new ceiling fans but they are still in the box. My question is should I try to assemble them myself beforehand or let him do it? It's a pretty expensive job so my gut is telling me to just let him handle all of it. Any advice is appreciated. 

Well in my experience installing ceiling fans.  I found it a lot easier to assemble the rest of it once I had the base hooked up electrically.  I would think if you tried to assemble the whole thing then hold it up to install would be very awkward so I'd leave it alone

1 hour ago, lockport said:

A few weeks ago one of the big storms knocked power out of a line in my house, zapping a light fixture and a few ceiling fans in the process. I had an electrician come out and he recommended a new breaker box (hasn't been updated since 1985 when the home was built) and said he'd install new fans and a light fixture for me while he does the job. He's coming out tomorrow to do the work, and I've bought new ceiling fans but they are still in the box. My question is should I try to assemble them myself beforehand or let him do it? It's a pretty expensive job so my gut is telling me to just let him handle all of it. Any advice is appreciated. 

It’s up to. It’s not a difficult task but it’s a pain in the neck imo. I personally hate working overhead.
If you want to install it and save on the labor, I don’t think it’s a problem. What would he charge or what’s the labor rate for an electrician? $70?

While you have the electrician you should look at installing a whole house surge protector.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, texasjacket said:

Wait..you can afford an electrician charging you $100-150 to install a ceiling fan, but can not afford a $100 surge protector? 

Home insurance is helping with the job they're doing today, but the surge protector is $300 and isn't covered under the policy so I'll have to wait on that.

Pay him for the surge protector, and install the ceiling fan yourself. It ain't rocket science.  I've installed a few over the years. It's pretty much follow the directions, especially if all the wiring is already in the ceiling box, and a brace has been previously been installed.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

How much would you save installing yourself?  It's an easy job and you likely already have the tools needed.  You can spend 5 minutes on youtube and get the idea on how to.  It's probably something you should at least attempt to gain a little bit of man dignity.

It'll at least get a hole punched on your man card for that second ball you may be needing.

Home insurance is helping with the job they're doing today, but the surge protector is $300 and isn't covered under the policy so I'll have to wait on that.

If you can pocket any savings from installing the fan yourself, then by all means DIY.

Btw, $300 sounds like a great price for the surge protector. I’ve been told it’s closer to $500.