CWS

Cairn Horn88

25 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Okay, so what exactly does this have to do with baseball?

It has everything to do with baseball! No, not really, but the Opportunity Vanderbilt initiative has a direct effect on Vanderbilt baseball because of NCAA scholarship rules.

Unlike football and basketball, the two “head count” sports (there are more, but those are the two in which Vanderbilt competes), baseball is considered an “equivalency” sport by the NCAA. What that means is that instead of simply counting the number of student-athletes who are getting financial aid related to athletics (or were “recruited” athletes who are getting any sort of financial aid from the university), the NCAA counts the total amount of athletic aid received by players in the sport. In football, if a team had two players who are getting a 50 percent scholarship, that would count as two scholarships against the 85-scholarship limit. In baseball, it would count as one scholarship against the limit of 11.7.

Where things get tricky with baseball and other equivalency sports, though, is in deciding what financial aid counts toward the scholarship limit. That’s a two-step process: first, the NCAA determines if a student-athlete is a “counter” for scholarship purposes. In equivalency sports, that means that some portion of the student-athlete’s financial aid is athletic aid. Once you’re a counter, all of your financial aid from the university is counted toward the scholarship limit, regardless of whether it’s athletic aid or not. But if you’re not considered a “counter” — meaning that you aren’t on an athletic scholarship — none of your financial aid counts toward the limit, even if you’re getting your entire cost of attendance paid for.

That latter part is, more than likely, the basis of the complaints from other baseball programs. Vanderbilt can simply give a player a full ride through need-based grants, and they get a player on a full ride without it counting against the scholarship limit. That seems like it would be kind of a big deal, right?

Well, the reality is that grants covering the full cost of attendance are actually pretty rare. Here’s a handy brochure (a few years old, but it gets the point across) about the Opportunity Vanderbilt program, and while there are certainly students getting something close to the full cost of attendance, they’re the exception and not the rule. And they’re mostly coming from the lower end of the income scale. (As that relates to college baseball, you’re not really supposed to talk about this — but probably the majority of college baseball players come from affluent families ... you know, the same parents who have had their kids on travel baseball teams since they were 10. Relatively few of them are in the income range where Opportunity Vanderbilt is knocking $60,000 off the cost of attendance.)

The other issue here is that if a player is also getting a baseball scholarship, any financial aid they’re getting from Opportunity Vanderbilt gets counted against the scholarship limit. This actually puts Vanderbilt in something of a tricky spot if a player is, say, getting an aid package around $40,000 or so: that puts the player in a position where he’s still paying what he would pay to attend a state school, but a state school might be able to put him on scholarship and make his cost of attending even lower than what Vanderbilt can.

Probably too much info....but..fyi.

I at least appreciate it. It’s interesting. It doesn’t seem like a huge advantage for Vandy and it’s Vandy-specific, and not applicable to all private schools.

3 hours ago, CDAK said:

Thanks for sharing. That’s an awesome policy if you’re a Vandy student. They’re not skirting NCAA rules to give academic scholarships to baseball players. They’re giving every student a free ride whose parents make less than 100k. I doubt many private schools have the money to do that.

Every school (public or private) gives academic scholarships.  It's an advantage at lower academic schools -- About 10 years ago I remember talking to Ken Knutson who coached Washington; he was bitching about the smart kids he was recruiting getting full academic scholarships to Oregon State and Arizona, which Washington couldn't match because of higher academic standards.  

I don't know who started this about Vandy, but they're up the wrong fucking tree -- both Louisiana and Georgia have lottery-funded scholarships where if you graduate from HS in those states and go to any state university and maintain a 3.0 (?), you get free tuition.  So LSU, UGa, GaSou, ULala can use all of the tuition components of their 11.7 on out-of-state recruits as long as they're not recruiting complete morons in-state.  https://sfs.gsu.edu/hope-scholarship/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I suggest you review the posts of msu dawg to educate yourself on what an overwhelming favorite MSU is.  

MS is the higher ranked team and back in March, took 2 out of 3 at Starkville, from Auburn.  MS, on paper, appears to be the better team, but I think once a team gets to these games in Omaha, any team can win on a given night.  Since two underdogs have already won, it is just not that much of an upset...to me, that Auburn is winning.  Teams get hot and Auburn is playing good ball right now.  I'm sure msu dawg knows his team, but there's a lot of games to play.  MSU is gonna have to do it the hard way, as is Tech.  I'm not sure there is an overwhelming favorite this year....baseball is funny sometimes.