CWS

Cairn Horn88

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Seems like they finally got everything figured out between the bats/balls.  Balls that should get out are getting out.

Nope, it's all about the wind there.  If it's cool, the wind's blowing out of the north (straight out) like it has so far.  

If it's 90+, the wind will be out of the south, and Aaron Judge wouldn't even be able to hit it out.  

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Nope, it's all about the wind there.  If it's cool, the wind's blowing out of the north (straight out) like it has so far.  

If it's 90+, the wind will be out of the south, and Aaron Judge wouldn't even be able to hit it out.  

Dude, in recent years, even with the wind blowing out there were balls getting crushed that stayed in the park.  

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I enjoy Tom Hart, and I've never had any complaint with Karl Ravech.  Kyle Peterson is excellent despite having trouble fitting his ego in the booth, and guys like Chris Burke and Eduardo Perez are really good.

All of that is to say, both these crews are an improvement over the Mike Patrick days.

It helps when you have color commentators who have actually followed college baseball during the season, instead of Harold Reynolds.  

1 minute ago, Augustus said:

Dude, in recent years, even with the wind blowing out there were balls getting crushed that stayed in the park.  

Nope, sorry, you're wrong, unless you'd like to cite some exit velocities.  Most years, the wind is blowing in; blowing out usually means a good chance of rain delays, like last year on MTW.

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Nope, sorry, you're wrong, unless you'd like to cite some exit velocities.  Most years, the wind is blowing in; blowing out usually means a good chance of rain delays, like last year on MTW.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/where-have-all-the-cws-home-runs-gone/article_ea5000eb-2f0e-5fea-8263-4e8440919dbf.html

Here's a good discussion of it, and he definitely mentions the wind/orientation of the park.

Home runs were significantly down across college baseball after the changes to the bat, not just in Omaha.

They did eventually make changes to the seams of the baseball and those numbers began to climb back up, including in Omaha.

2 minutes ago, Augustus said:

https://www.omaha.com/sports/where-have-all-the-cws-home-runs-gone/article_ea5000eb-2f0e-5fea-8263-4e8440919dbf.html

Here's a good discussion of it, and he definitely mentions the wind/orientation of the park.

Home runs were significantly down across college baseball after the changes to the bat, not just in Omaha.

They did eventually make changes to the seams of the baseball and those numbers began to climb back up, including in Omaha.

The ball is a factor -- I remember catching a foul ball at a game around 2008, and I couldn't believe how high the seams were.  

Having said that, I've been to the CWS 18 of the last 20 years.  You absolutely know what kind of game it's going to be when you walk in from the parking lot.  It's a pretty big park, and if the wind's blowing from the south, no one is hitting it out, high seams or low seams.  

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

The ball is a factor -- I remember catching a foul ball at a game around 2008, and I couldn't believe how high the seams were.  

Having said that, I've been to the CWS 18 of the last 20 years.  You absolutely know what kind of game it's going to be when you walk in from the parking lot.  It's a pretty big park, and if the wind's blowing from the south, no one is hitting it out, high seams or low seams.  

Until you mentioned it, I didn't know (or I'd forgotten) that TD Ameritrade faces south while Rosenblatt faced NE.

Interesting decision.

8 minutes ago, Augustus said:

Damn, one win away from championship series for Mich, who, like FSU were one of the last 4 in.

Unless I'm missing one, they'd be the first Big Ten team in the final game/series since Ohio State in '66

1 hour ago, Augustus said:

I'll say it again, at the risk of jinxing them.  Michigan looks destined to me.

Even when they make mistakes, they recover.

I know of a team who can beat them twice. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Vanderbilt?

yeah...the pajama gang.

Hell, they couldn't even be aggy twice.

Edited by slorch

9 minutes ago, CDAK said:

Is Gabe Holt out for the entirety of the tournament?  I haven't seen any news about the injury.

He, for whatever that's worth, maintains he can play.  He has some type of apparatus rigged up that will allow him to get his injured and stiffly bandaged thumb in his glove.  I'm still skeptical though.  Maybe as a pinch runner or someone to try and steal a base or get a sac bunt down perhaps.

But It's hard to imagine him being effective as a traditional player for me anyway.

3 hours ago, petscii said:

The avoided Oregon State in the regional and embarrassed UCLA at the supers.   

So go Blue.  and FUCK TEXAS TECH AND ELEVEN TOO...  

LOLz.

Fuck Meatchikin.  Tech has plenty o work to do before we meet again.

Edited by slorch