Berkeley, CA at it again- Manhole becomes Maintenance hole

JimmyHoffa

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah that's it. I'm all riled up.  More like people in the democrat party have such fucked up priorities, and philosophies they have to invent issues to solve whatever problem the word manhole creates.....

Oh no a man hole over... I'm repressed I'm repressed....I'm repressed....  

I bet every time they hear "that's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" they wanna leap off a building in abject horror.....  but I'm sure they'll handle it by banning it from their local school systems history curriculum... problem solved...

Conservtard tears are so delicious. 

6 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I think it’s a stupid thing to do but even more stupid to think it’s a reflection of an entire party and to waste multiple paragraphs whining about it.

You don’t like it?  Fucking leave. Oh, you don’t live there?  Then shut the fuck up already.

Nah you shut up, who are you to tell anyone what they can laugh at ?  I don't honk its the whole party, but it damn sure is the CA wing, and said as much in my first post on the issue. 

I'm sorry who's getting hot, and bothered here ?  That you think you are the arbiter of what should, and shouldn't be discussed is kinda pathetic really.

1 hour ago, Asithappens said:

More virtue signalling from hypocrites.

It's this stupid shit that helps Trump.

I assume you're talking about all the people who lose their shit when football players kneel during a song?

Watching either end of the political spectrum refer to the other as oversensitive snowflakes is fucking comical.  The right's just as easily triggered over stupid shit as the left.

But I do agree with your second sentence.

4 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I assume you're talking about all the people who lose their shit when football players kneel during a song?

Watching either end of the political spectrum refer to the other as oversensitive snowflakes is fucking comical.  The right's just as easily triggered over stupid shit as the left.

If ya can't laugh at this without calling people triggered is pretty funny.Fringe  Republicans and their dumb ass issues are just as funny (and stoopid), but renaming a metal hole cover because it needs to be gender neutral so people aren't offered or upset is the height of hilarity.  I'm guessing they've solved all the other pressing issues facing Berkeley.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Nah you shut up, who are you to tell anyone what they can laugh at ?  I don't honk its the whole party, but it damn sure is the CA wing, and said as much in my first post on the issue. 

I'm sorry who's getting hot, and bothered here ?  That you think you are the arbiter of what should, and shouldn't be discussed is kinda pathetic really.

I’m not hot and bothered over the issue.  I already said I thought it was stupid but I don’t see any reason to rant about it because I’m not an easily triggered conservtard snowflake. 

7 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Uh, no. I'm talking about Berkeley, you know, the topic of this thread.

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I’m not hot and bothered over the issue.  I already said I thought it was stupid but I don’t see any reason to rant about it because I’m not an easily triggered conservtard snowflake. 

Just now, Asithappens said:

Uh, no. I'm talking about Berkeley, you know, the topic of this thread.

Yeah that's what I've been talking about. Reading is fundamental.....you don't like what I'm talking about, take your own advice and (leave or) don't fucking respond.  This is surly and posting about stupid shit is all part of the game.  For somebody not triggered by it you sure seem to have a problem with other people talking about it.

5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

If ya can't laugh at this without calling people triggered is pretty funny.Fringe  Republicans and their dumb ass issues are just as funny (and stoopid), but renaming a metal hole cover because it needs to be gender neutral so people aren't offered or upset is the height of hilarity.  I'm guessing they've solved all the other pressing issues facing Berkeley.

The people in Berkeley are fucking lunatics.  I don't disagree with that whatsoever.

I'm just pointing out that the tendency to be wildly offended over meaningless things knows no political barricades.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The people in Berkeley are fucking lunatics.  I don't disagree with that whatsoever.

I'm just pointing out that the tendency to be wildly offended over meaningless things knows no political barricades.

Brah nobody here is getting offended by their lunacy. It's all hilarity and laughter at their lunacy.    The people who seem to be offended are the folks offended that someone would point out that lunacy.

2 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

There was a news story fairly recently where some (woman, iirc) wanted to enact some kind of reg/law that would require gender neutral pronouns, or something like that, then about 5 minutes later she started using the "wrong" pronouns. 

Do as I say, not as I do.... tried and true my friend ... tried and true.

40 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I bet you think “some people did something.”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I bet you think “some people did something.”

Not a big Ilhan fan - she's turning into the liberal Steve King and only has her job because Minneapolis hipsters couldn't run to the polls fast enough to congratulate themselves for elevating such a marginalized person into power.

I also think the outrage about the national anthem protest is peak snowflakery.

There is still a middle in this country.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Not a big Ilhan fan - she's turning into the liberal Steve King and only has her job because Minneapolis hipsters couldn't run to the polls fast enough to congratulate themselves for elevating such a marginalized person into power.

But it gets ridiculed, and marginalized by the media at both ends.

1 hour ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

I think it’s a stupid thing to do but even more stupid to think it’s a reflection of an entire party and to waste multiple paragraphs whining about it.

You don’t like it?  Fucking leave. Oh, you don’t live there?  Then shut the fuck up already.

Pretty sure you can’t say stuff like this, you racist or something?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Yet you referred to our National Anthem as “a song.”  I know some alums from other schools think they can come to a UT message board and say things like that with impunity because we are so progressive, but if Texas fans are anything, we’re diverse. Come on, you know you’d get pushback if you said that on an ISU board. 

25 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Yet you referred to our National Anthem as “a song.”  I know some alums from other schools think they can come to a UT message board and say things like that with impunity because we are so progressive, but if Texas fans are anything, we’re diverse. Come on, you know you’d get pushback if you said that on an ISU board. 

I've said exactly that on an ISU message board.  CycloneFanatic is a pretty diverse board as well, and actually skews more liberal than conservative (most people there are ISU alums).  Some people get really emotional about that sort of thing, some don't.  Same as I'd assume here.

Even though UT is a progressive school, it's still in Texas, and I'm sure there a lot of Texas fans that fit the more traditional Texan ideological stereotypes.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

11 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I've said exactly that on an ISU message board.  CycloneFanatic is a pretty diverse board as well, and actually skews more liberal than conservative (most people there are ISU alums).  Some people get really emotional about that sort of thing, some don't.  Same as I'd assume here.

Even though UT is a progressive school, it's still in Texas, and I'm sure there a lot of Texas fans that fit the more traditional Texan ideological stereotypes.

I can’t doubt what you’re saying, but of the large handful of ISU alums I know, I exactly wouldn’t call them a progressive lot. My son lives in Iowa, so I might ask him what his take is (other than the whiny sports conspiracy he’s mentioned more than once).

3 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

I can’t doubt what you’re saying, but of the large handful of ISU alums I know, I exactly wouldn’t call them a progressive lot. My son lives in Iowa, so I might ask him what his take is (other than the whiny sports conspiracy he’s mentioned more than once).

It probably varies off age.  I'm 34.  If you're looking at ISU alums 40+ or so, it would be a more conservative demographic for sure.  Of all the guys I went to school with whose political persuasion I'm aware of, I can count the clearly conservative on one hand. 

Now that said, Ames ain't Berkeley.  Just because they aren't conservative doesn't mean they're lecturing people about gender pronouns.  Iowa's about as moderate as a state gets in political lean, and the ISU crowd of my age demo is slightly liberal as opposed to wacko fringe.

Thankfully one California City can keep its name after all this PC business is finished. San Diego.   Though scholars maintain the original translation is lost to time, we at least know that it does not mean a male saint  nor uses a masculine article.   In fact San Diego is the least misogynist city name in California, As it celebrates the whale vagina

16 hours ago, otisdog said:

Berkeley has also just changed the building code so that new residences are not allowed to have natural gas utilities....I'm sure heating a house in the winter with electricity will be cheap.  Cooking with electric is fun, too.

Yeah this is really the bigger code. To not allow gas in new buildings is comical. I am sure every potential new restaurant is pumped to have to cook with electricity......

27 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It probably varies off age.  I'm 34.  If you're looking at ISU alums 40+ or so, it would be a more conservative demographic for sure.  Of all the guys I went to school with whose political persuasion I'm aware of, I can count the clearly conservative on one hand. 

Now that said, Ames ain't Berkeley.  Just because they aren't conservative doesn't mean they're lecturing people about gender pronouns.  Iowa's about as moderate as a state gets in political lean, and the ISU crowd of my age demo is slightly liberal as opposed to wacko fringe.

And this is what hurts the party. I have relatives and in-laws in that area of the country (including a US Senator, Obama-appointed judge, gubernatorial candidate, etc) who are more like JFK Democrats - very patriotic, anti-Communist, religious, etc. Then there are those who would fit right in with the Berkeley crowd, albeit not to the Antifa level. I’m sure the more moderate ones are completely disheartened by who’s taken over the party at the national level. 

Edited by ImissWallyPryor

The frat one is too long and unwieldy, but I don't see why anyone would have a problem with some of the other changes.   It doesn't offend me to leave them as is, but I'd support similar changes where I live.   And I see as much snowflakery and virtue signaling the other way from those who are freaking out about this as I do from those who are actually offended by the gender-based words. 

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

By the way, the good folks in Berkeley had the sense and foresight to ban smoking in bars and restaurants in 1977.

It was absolutely unheard of at the time. Fucking visionary if you ask me.

I referenced that good Berkeley city law when Austinites were bitching around 2005-06 that banning smoking in bars would be the end of our nightlife scene.  Even people on the old bbs came out of the woodwork to complain about it.  

What happened next?   Austin’s bar scene exploded and we have what seems like a new “bar district” opening up about every year.  And the whining smokers?   They are dust. 

And to stay on topic.  If fraternity is banned now, what do we call death by friendly fire in warfare?   

Edited by Lobo

2 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

And this is what hurts the party. I have relatives and in-laws in that area of the country (including a US Senator, Obama-appointed judge, gubernatorial candidate, etc) who are more like JFK Democrats - very patriotic, anti-Communist, religious, etc. Then there are those who would fit right in with the Berkeley crowd, albeit not to the Antifa level. I’m sure the more moderate ones are completely disheartened by who’s taken over the party at the national level. 

What hurts the party the most is that the left doesn't just turn out for every piece of shit that runs under it's banner.  A big reason Clinton lost (the biggest, IMO) is the sheer number of left leaning folks who despised her and wouldn't vote for her (like myself).  I know a lot of right leaning folks that can't stand Trump, but they all voted for him, and they will again.  Raw tribalism is healthier on the right than the left as I see it.

But I'm not that concerned about the party.  I'm moderately left and find the general incompetence of the Democratic party to be a huge turn off.

I also don't think that from a policy stand point that the "national level" is as far left as advertised.  "The Squad" gets a lot of media attention, but it's pretty obvious that the party's power brokers view them as too extreme and are isolating them.  A lot of the stupid shit you see liberals embracing is also being done at say the university level, or just in someone's blog - these aren't decision makers.  It pretty quickly becomes the narrative for defining where the left is going in today's culture (which drives a lot of reasonable people away), but I know very few people who embrace that extreme version of left wing politics.

And I realize I'm kind of rambling at this point (but fuck it), and this just circles me back the stupidity of a 2 party system.  In no way can 2 political parties adequately represent the interests of 350 million people.  It's completely absurd.

9 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

No one who is moderately left would refer to our National Anthem as "a song,"  I'll leave it at that and hang up and listen.

You and I likely have drastically different views of what "moderately left" means.

1 hour ago, George said:

Pretty sure you can’t say stuff like this, you racist or something?

No, it's just funny to hear regressives say that considering the amount of bitching that they did when O'Bummer was president. I sure don't remember anyone telling them to "love it or leave it" when the guy they despised for being a secret fake mooslum was the president.

27 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

By the way, the good folks in Berkeley had the sense and foresight to ban smoking in bars and restaurants in 1977.

It was absolutely unheard of at the time. Fucking visionary if you ask me.

Smoking ban was definitely a good idea but there's a bar here in our town that just pays the fine so you can smoke in the bar.  It's like memory lane when all bars were like that.

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Smoking ban was definitely a good idea but there's a bar here in our town that just pays the fine so you can smoke in the bar.  It's like memory lane when all bars were like that.

I appreciate this existing, although I'd be in no hurry to visit.

27 minutes ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

No one who is moderately left would refer to our National Anthem as "a song,"  I'll leave it at that and hang up and listen.

an·them
/ˈanTHəm/
noun
noun: anthem; plural noun: anthems
  1. 1.
    a rousing or uplifting song identified with a particular group, body, or cause.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Not a big Ilhan fan - she's turning into the liberal Steve King....

Well stated, even if coming from an Iowa Stater  :)  (Go Hawks!)

I don't care for her, either. She (and AOC et al) need to be more judicious in their comments, be more sensitive of what's good for America (imo), in short, they need to grow up. As does the Dotard in Chief.

Oh, if we could only have a Berkley Bedell back in House. Fuck Steve King. 

Edited by Asithappens
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Well stated, even if coming from an Iowa Stater  :). (Go Hawks!)

I don't care for her, either. She (and AOC et al) need to be more judicious in their comments, be more sensitive of what's good for America (imo), in short, they need to grow up. As does the Dotard in Chief.

We're pretty aligned on all of this.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Lobo said:

I can only assume California will be canceling all Romance languages.  700,000  nouns per language, five of them plus Latin.  Over four million nouns, each of them labeled with a masculine or feminine article. 

The irony being these folks think they have the enlightened worldview.  The logical result of your program will be to eliminate tens of millions of nouns across dozens, maybe hundreds of languages and dialects.  And you can’t just take away the El or La, because we know...we know 

Settle down, Lobx.

25 minutes ago, Asithappens said:

Well stated, even if coming from an Iowa Stater  :)  (Go Hawks!)

I think AOC is a player in the future. I think Ilhan is a one shot pony, and will be gone soon. She seems to have some pretty anti American sentiment considering she was given a lottery ticket to this country.

1 minute ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think AOC is a player in the future. I think Ilhan is a one shot pony, and will be gone soon. She seems to have some pretty anti American sentiment considering she was given a lottery ticket to this country.

AOC can be, and I hope she is, but I hope that she is a "legitimate", broad-based player, not some fringer that mostly appeals to the dipshit crowd. 

She has potential, and I hope that she realizes it. She has some growing up to do, imo. 

But we live in strange times. 

• Like 2

Colorado State: 'Avoid' using 'Americans,' 'America'

CSU's online Inclusive Language Guide, compiled by the school’s Inclusive Communications Task Force, lists certain words and phrases to avoid while providing  replacements in an effort to help “communicators practice inclusive language and [help] everyone on [its] campus feel welcomed, respected, and valued.” The school's Women and Gender Collaborative website directly links to the document. 

CSU lists both “American” and “America” as non-inclusive words "to avoid," due to the fact that America encompasses more than just the U.S. By referring to the U.S. as America, the guide claims that one “erases other cultures and depicts the United States as the dominant American country.” The school suggests using “U.S. citizen” or “person from the U.S.” as substitutes. 

The university additionally lists many gendered words and phrases to avoid. These include “male,” “female,” “ladies and gentlemen,” and “Mr./Mrs./Ms.” 

“Male and female refers to biological sex and not gender,” says the guide. “In terms of communication methods (articles, social media, etc.), we very rarely need to identify or know a person’s biological sex and more often are referring to gender.”

“Straight” is another word to avoid, according to CSU. The guide explained that “when used to describe heterosexuals, the term straight implies that anyone LGBT is ‘crooked’ or not normal,” and says to use the word “heterosexual” instead.

“Normal person” was also listed as a phrase to avoid because it “implies that ‘other’ people… are not whole or regular people.” The guide offered no substitute word because it claimed that it is never appropriate to use the phrase to describe someone.

According to the list, the phrase “handicap parking” should also not be used because it can “minimize personhood” and offend disabled people. The guide recommends “accessible parking” as an alternative.

“War,” “cake walk,” “eenie meenie miney moe,” “Eskimo,” “freshman,” “hip hip hooray!”, “hold down the fort,” “starving,” and “policeman” were among other words and phrases deemed non-inclusive by CSU.  (snip)

Man, how I wish this had been in effect in grade school, I could have avoided being sent straight to the principal's office all those times.

Edited by clapclapclap

That's El/La Lobx.  

Ella Lobx.  I guess the articles have "L" in common.  So xLx would be the new gender-neutral article in Spanish.  It's Le & La in French, so that'll just Lx.  It's Il & La in Italian, so that'll be xLx as well.  Plus whatever we need to do on Latin, Romanian, and Portuguese.  why are books identified as masculine?  And college?  And knowledge?  And consciousness?  So fucking gender toxic!