Greyhound. Tom Hanks takes on German U boats

Parliament

Liked it.  Nice tight film with zero extra fluff.  Add in the fiancée and religion for the bare minimum of humanization, and add the Grey Wolf audio during the attack for some dramatic elements and everything else was just “let’s watch this dude do this one task” in a manner that probably was pretty real. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Liked it.  Nice tight film with zero extra fluff.  Add in the fiancée and religion for the bare minimum of humanization, and add the Grey Wolf audio during the attack for some dramatic elements and everything else was just “let’s watch this dude do this one task” in a manner that probably was pretty real. 

Jack Webb would have been proud. This was an excellent procedural.

• 1 month later...

Finally got around to watching this last night.

Really enjoyed it. Only noticed the cgi once or twice and they got many of the small details right. Talking on the sound powered phones took a while to get used to.  On my first sub I was the guy on the phones in the power plant for battle stations so it hit close to home. You'd often have a couple of people telling you stuff on the phone while an officer was yelling at you to tell them something and you had to remember everything and repeat it back. Huge clusterfuck when there was a lot going on.

I loved how there was no filler. Strait to the battle and when the battle is done the movie is done.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I am almost done with The Good Shepherd which is the book the movie was based on.  It has been a really good read.  I haven't read many books were the tension was palpable, but it is in this one.  Worth reading if you were a fan of the movie.

• Hook 'Em 2

55 minutes ago, kevwun said:

I am almost done with The Good Shepherd which is the book the movie was based on.  It has been a really good read.  I haven't read many books were the tension was palpable, but it is in this one.  Worth reading if you were a fan of the movie.

Agreed.  Book was really good.  Better than the movie.

15 hours ago, kevwun said:

Dan Carlin of Hardcore History fame actually did an interview with Tom Hanks in which they discussed history and Hanks' adaptation of that book into Greyhound. Great listen and conversation between two history nerds

• 2 years later...