Raccoons

Sons o' bitches are making another attempt to gain entry into the attic.  A few years back we had a fucking family of the little burglars living in the attic.  Couldn't figure out where they were getting in.  Had to hire a service, who found they had discovered a little opening in an overhang under an eave that wasn't closed up.  They sealed it but I had to replace a good portion of the attic insulation as they had funked it up.  Now for the last week I have found this one little fucker trying to get in the same spot.  I don't think he's actually gotten in- at least I hope not- but want to put an effective deterrent in and around that area to keep him the fuck out of there.  Lots of proposed options out there, but all seem to have varying degrees of success- peppermint oil, predator urine smell, red-eyed lights, etc.  All seem to have their detractors.  Anyone have experience getting rid of these bastards?  I do not want to deal with trapping/relocating them.

9 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Metal flashing is needed.

Look in the scorpion thread - pics I put in there are the common access points.

Seal those with metal flashing. You're in Cali, yes?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Yes, we did that.  I'm not certain they have or haven't been able to peel it back and gain reentry, but I do know this one little fucker is trying his damnedest.  Caught him in the act the other night when I climbed up on the roof in the dark.  I just want to place some deterrent up there to hopefully keep him from continuing to try.

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I'm not certain they have or haven't been able to peel it back and gain reentry

Pics of flashing?  It's possible you have the shitty stupid thin stuff that... YES... would be easy to pull back.
Other product like maybe a .26 gauge would be a bit more difficult to get off / out provided it was nailed or screwed in properly.  If it's only cemented in, well... there's your problem.

PS:  You just admitted to all of Shag2 that you're a bad shot.  No pellet gun?

• Like 1

I was able to confirm using video on my cell (sorry, can't seem to upload here without hosting), but it is still intact.  Not flashing per se.  Basically like high-strength chicken wire.  It is in a little roof spire, and designed to provide some natural exhausting out of it.  But it is intact, so I now just need to deter them.  They are accessing the roof from a fruitless pear tree that I really don't want to cut down.

I could nail the fucker with a .22.  I just really don't want to deal with a dead raccoon carcass, and honestly, don't really want to kill it just because I ain't gonna eat it, and I don't like to kill for the sake of it (rats and mice excluded).

Frozen paintballs or even Airsoft are much more accurate than a slingshot but you shouldn't kill it unless concussed & falls / bangs head.

Chicken wire is bullshit because it provides a grab spot in the holes.  Get some real flashing.  Need me to dig into my contacts & find you a roofing person in the area (again, you're California?)?

I was able to confirm using video on my cell (sorry, can't seem to upload here without hosting), but it is still intact.  Not flashing per se.  Basically like high-strength chicken wire.  It is in a little roof spire, and designed to provide some natural exhausting out of it.  But it is intact, so I now just need to deter them.  They are accessing the roof from a fruitless pear tree that I really don't want to cut down.

I could nail the fucker with a .22.  I just really don't want to deal with a dead raccoon carcass, and honestly, don't really want to kill it just because I ain't gonna eat it, and I don't like to kill for the sake of it (rats and mice excluded).

Think of a raccoon as a rodent of unusual size.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Frozen paintballs or even Airsoft are much more accurate than a slingshot but you shouldn't kill it unless concussed & falls / bangs head.

Chicken wire is bullshit because it provides a grab spot in the holes.  Get some real flashing.  Need me to dig into my contacts & find you a roofing person in the area (again, you're California?)?

No thanks.  It has foiled them so far.  

If you choose to use a pellet gun, you really don't need to worry about noise.  Even the loudest will not require investigation by neighbors for 1 or 2 shots.

Also, while .22 pellets are heavier and slower than .177 (and typically have more stopping power), very, very few pellet guns and no accurate ones are supersonic.  The noise comes from air escaping the barrel after the pellet.  The loudness depends on the volume of air and the speed with which it escapes, which is a function of power and barrel length.

Generally a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) is louder than a pneumatic (pumper) is louder than a spring-piston gun, due mostly to the volume of air.

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

Is a pellet gun really powerful enough to take out a raccoon without the raccoon being hit in the perfect spot?

Depends on the pellet gun and most of them would require a decent shot, as would a .22.  But yeah, probably, if over 750 fps with .177.  Over 500 fps for .22.

I'm not advocating for it, just sayin.  I'd probably try airsoft.  Critters seem to understand that you are shooting at them and GTFO, even if the shooting is less than lethal.

When I was a kid, we shot bb guns all over the yard.  We rarely actually shot at birds and accordingly never hit one.  But there were no birds or squirrels in the yard or trees or near our property line when we were out and a good part of the rest of the time too.

Edited by TwiceHorn

12 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

A lot of .177 pellet guns shoot in the 1200 fps range, which is right on the edge of supersonic depending on atmospheric conditions. Sometimes you will get a crack, sometimes not, which is one of the reasons to go with a .22 in town.

So they say, with a plastic or non-lead pellet.  And horribly inaccurate, I'm sure.  If you chronied it with a regular lead pellet, I'd wager not much faster than 1000 fps.

A way subsonic PCP (750-950 fps),  of any caliber, can be loud af, depending on its baffling/shrouding.  It doesn't sound like a powder burner, but it's loud.

Nevertheless, even a loud airgun doesn't sound like a .22 and most folks with reasonably curious neighbors could get away with a handful of shots without arousing suspicion.

Edited by TwiceHorn

I've had garden variety springers crack with regular cheap pellets, so it isn't that uncommon. Still not .22 loud, but louder than some folks want. And the transonic transitions are terrible for accuracy with the design of pellets. That's why I went with a .22 pellet gun that advertises 875 fps for regular lead .22 pellets. No chance of natural variation sending one too fast, and more power to kill critters. I usually keep it where I can quickly get to it in case the dogs find a copperhead or water moccasin in the yard.

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Most of your .22 pellet rifles won't be supersonic since the pellet is much heavier. All it does is make a springy thump. So no real need for a silencer.

Not really true. The ones I've used make a pretty loud bang that's not far off of a. 22 LR  but not considered a firearm so they are legal to use in a city limit.

16 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Most of your .22 pellet rifles won't be supersonic since the pellet is much heavier. All it does is make a springy thump. So no real need for a silencer.

You should heard mine before modification. It sounded like a 22 rifle . One shot and you had to run hide. Then walk around outside like your looking for what made that loud bang.  It's not your every day pellet gun for sure.

On 4/23/2020 at 11:01 PM, Alex Karev said:

You should heard mine before modification. It sounded like a 22 rifle . One shot and you had to run hide. Then walk around outside like your looking for what made that loud bang.  It's not your every day pellet gun for sure.

Just keep a hammer and board handy when you shoot.  Make sure the neighbors see you with the hammer.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1