Sat tv service for a RV/boat

So, as you may know since we've both been here a while, I'm from CA. 

But, my work has taken me a lot of places.  One such place was York, PA.  

For whatever reason (probably a lost phone charger), I went into a Radio Shack (of course they are all gone now) in York. 

They had a display of Direct (or maybe Dish, I can't remember) dishes and receivers that were cheap, and no-contract, pay-as-you-go deals, like a burner phone 

See Bernard, below (NSFW)

[/spoiler}

Anyway, I've never see that shit out here.  

Edited by Gil Bang
  • Like 1

I do this with a Dish "Hopper".  I turn it on when I know we'll be out there and off in the months I know I won't go.

Works fine.    Looks like a football helmet without a face mask.  Just set it out on a cinder block and run coax from it to the receiver.  Doesn't even need power to the unit.

When I leave I throw it back in the box and stick it inside the cabin.

There's a certain receive with Dish that you can call to turn on/off for a day or a weekend or whatever.  We used to keep one at the lake house and just call them to turn it on when we were on the way out there.  I think there was a one-time DVR fee of $7 when we first started.  Just plugged an external hard drive into it.   Worked like a charm.  Couple that with the tailgater/playmaker, and you're good to go.

• 1 month later...

When I'm on the road now I just use cell data and stream it.  I have one of those 4g cell amplifier thingy with the antenna mounted on a push-up pole when I'm camping if I have low signal level....its like a mini cell site. Just in case you are a cord cutter at home. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 7/27/2020 at 2:27 PM, beer said:

When I'm on the road now I just use cell data and stream it.  I have one of those 4g cell amplifier thingy with the antenna mounted on a push-up pole when I'm camping if I have low signal level....its like a mini cell site. Just in case you are a cord cutter at home. 

What cell booster did you go with beer?