info about body donation

Several month ago I read an interesting article about this subject, I think in the American-Statesman.  It was highly informative, provided by someone who went through the signup process.  Now I am kicking myself for not saving it.  I would appreciate input from anyone who knows about this article, or has similar information about the process.

about three years ago to this day my father passed away and we were able to have his body donated to a new medical school in the city he lived in

the funeral home he and my mom had a burial plan with helped some of it

had a funeral service like normal at the church only no trip to the cemetery and then the school turns the body back over to the funeral home and they take care of the cremation (got a little money back because cremated not buried in a plot)

after cremation you get the ashes and do what you wish as normal from there

about a year after the school had a service for those that had donated bodies and my mom and uncle went and met many of the students including ones that had studied my dad it was a very nice event and the students were very grateful especially since it was a brand new program

not long after that my mom and uncle were interviewed for the paper about the event and the process and how it all went

very good feelings about it overall

normally you need to plan it out much further ahead, but the need of the school and their ability to move quick made it possible

I have given consideration to the program mentioned above for Texas State where they place you out at Freeman Ranch for forensics research (caged up so the buzzards don't get you, but the worms and insects do)......I think the Texas State one requires more of a contract and you get a small amount of compensation for it if you want it

Edited by ButtFumble
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, ROFL BOX said:

Wanna end up in the Body Farm E. of San Marcos?

The forensic one operated by Texas State?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I think someone on Surly posted drone pics of the Freeman Ranch body farm, I just can't remember who or where they were posted.

Read article about how for profit skin graft companies make millions by just taking the skin off donated bodies and not using other parts. Kinda turned me off to the whole process although burn victims WITH insurance prolly benefitted also.

Reminds me of the story I read a few months ago where a family donated grandma's body for research purposes.  Research facility sells the body to the military.  Military blows grandma up as part of some government research.  Family found out and was not happy, but I don't think they had any recourse.

Story is here:  https://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-world/man-learns-moms-body-donated-for-research-was-instead-blown-up-in-military-testing

Yeah, as a control you'd think they would have some spots where the birds, raccoons & coyotes can get in there as well (but not drag the body off).  Nature eats & that has to be part of the investigation process.  ...except then the birds, raccoons & coyotes start to think of that same spot as a perpetual buffet, so I don't really know, man.