Help me choose where to move - Vancouver, WA or Tacoma,WA

gaspar

Wife landed a pretty nice general counsel job for a company in WA state and they gave her the choice of living near the Tacoma-area manufacturing facility or near the Vancouver, WA-area facility. We’re currently in Houston.

The Vancouver facility is larger and she’d have more visibility with other execs there, but the Tacoma area is closer to Seattle (more jobs) -  in case my boss decides I can't work remotely on a permanent basis. I *think* I’ll be able to keep my finance job since I’ve been doing it remotely without issues, but I’m not sure. 

We have 2 kids, so schools are important (at least to my better half).

Thoughts and anything else I should be considering?

Edited by gaspar

I would say Vancouver for a few reasons. 1) sounds better for your wife's job growth 2) Portland is a cool town which will also have jobs for you if needed and 3) I hate paying taxes, by living in Vancouver you would avoid any state income tax, and you can easily shop in Oregon and avoid the 9% sales tax the state of Washington has. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Choose your area wisely in regards to Tacoma.  It is right in the path of a potential lahar from Mt. Rainier.  A lahar that reaches Puget Sound occurs every 500-1000 years and it has been over 500 years since the last one. 

rainier%20lahar%20map.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/15/2020 at 11:08 PM, Hate said:

Choose your area wisely in regards to Tacoma.  It is right in the path of a potential lahar from Mt. Rainier.  A lahar that reaches Puget Sound occurs every 500-1000 years and it has been over 500 years since the last one. 

rainier%20lahar%20map.jpg

Tacoma sits up on a series of hills (most, hundreds of feet above sea and Puget sound level),.....only if your living in the industrial tideflats area would you be in danger. The places not safe are in the Puyallup River Valley. Fife, Puyallup, and Orting will be gone when that (Ranier blowing) does happen. It could also though go down the Nisqually River basin. 

As others have noted, Vancouver does allow for easier shopping in tax free Oregon, but Portland has been becoming a shithole much longer than recent events have been happening. 

Tacoma has made vast improvements with it's neighborhoods, dining, and entertainment areas over the past 25 years and is still much more affordable than Seattle. Seattle and those living there are constantly bashing it but Seattle and Portland are both quickly ruining their reputations. Tacoma's North End neighborhoods and also some south, are full of craftsman homes with safe, walkable streets. I lived and worked there for 25 years, before moving back to Texas to be closer to my folks.

edit....And yes, Gig Harbor is nice. But if you have to drive daily over the Narrows, it can be expensive and even much more than that, time consuming. 

Edited by BillyGoatHill
  • Hook 'Em 1

Vancouver is better for taxes, but the bridges getting into Oregon and Portland can be a beating (FIL worked as a bridge engineer for ODOT- "The bridges are fine, it's the idiots who decide where to put them and what budget you've got that need strung up").

I love Tacoma, or at least parts of it (Stadium District, University Place, out near Ft. Defiance Park, etc.) The downtown has really improved... if my job ends up being online forever (and when they get the light rail finished to Seattle), the wife and I would move there (as empty nesters- the wife worked in the school district before we got married and it ain't good outside of Stadium's recent major renovation). That being said- your money gets a lot more house there than in King County (which is probably true everywhere but the Bay Area).

Agreed on Gig Harbor as well, or even Vashon (if you're not in a hurry to get anywhere- which might also be true of Vancouver).

• Hook 'Em 1