2018 Indycar

BlueGreySky

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's May tomorrow!  The terrible winter weather is gone (but barely) and the track is going to be running for the entire month leading up to the 500 mile race.

And there are limited cars out on the track testing!  Best month of the year.

https://www.facebook.com/indycar/?hc_ref=ARRU5J8bUl-OK0knqnZDaN4gVGPwwqHTL1u7Qzxk2k302RtVlN--gFSQp1kC9IdKvb4

The new design is really great, imo.  They changed some of the aero-package and now there are less fins and other parts on the car.  Rather, they added some components on the undercarriage of the car to increase downforce.  The car creates less dirty air as a result and allows for cars to presumably draft at closer distances because of that.

Bump Day is baaaaaack! 

2018 ENTRY BREAKDOWN

Winners (6): Helio Castroneves, Scott Dixon, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Tony Kanaan, Alexander Rossi, Takuma Sato

Rookies (4): Pietro Fittipaldi, Kyle Kaiser, Matheus Leist, Robert Wickens

American drivers (14): Marco Andretti, Ed Carpenter, Conor Daly, JR Hildebrand, Ryan Hunter-Reay, Kyle Kaiser, Sage Karam, Charlie Kimball, Josef Newgarden, Danica Patrick, Spencer Pigot, Graham Rahal, Alexander Rossi, Zach Veach

International drivers (21): Max Chilton, Jack Harvey, Jay Howard, Pippa Mann, Stefan Wilson – England; Helio Castroneves, Pietro Fittipaldi, Tony Kanaan, Matheus Leist – Brazil; James Davison, Will Power – Australia; James Hinchcliffe, Robert Wickens, Canada; Gabby Chaves, Carlos Munoz – Colombia; Sebastien Bourdais, Simon Pagenaud – France; Takuma Sato – Japan; Oriol Servia – Spain; Scott Dixon – New Zealand; Ed Jones – United Arab Emirates

Engines (35): Honda 19, Chevrolet 16

https://www.indycar.com/News/2018/05/05-04-Indy-500-Entry-List

The Grand Prix is over and done.  Didn't go this year because my son's team had a baseball DH.  The two F-16s that did the flyover buzzed our fields on the north side of town as they prepared to fly over the speedway at the national anthem.  It was fucking awesome - lowest I've ever experienced jets like that.  Everyone including the umps and coaches just stopped and watched for a few seconds.  When they turn on those afterburners, holy shit.

Will Power continues his success at the Grand Prix.  Hopefully he continues to suck ass at the 500.  I don't dislike him as much as I used to.  He's less of a dick than he used to be, self-admittedly, because of becoming a dad.  Rossi continuing to look strong at all races this year.  He's in my top 3 this year for sure.

The track was closed yesterday for Mother's Day and closed today to finish converting everything back to oval settings.  

Thor, Hemsworth, will be waiving the green flag as the 33 come around turn 4.  Not sure if the national anthem, pace car, and "back home again" have been announced who's doing those yet.

Will be out at the track at the end of this week for Fast Friday.  May in Indy officially getting into high gear!

Gotdamn. Hinch doesn’t make the big show. Pissed that Mann got the last run of the day. It was quite clear her car didn’t have it.

I don’t understand on weather days like today why the speedway doesn’t add an hour or two on for quals keeping the track open till 7 or 8. There wasn’t even a full hour of bumping.

I wonder if Wickens or Howard will be asked to give up their ride for Hinch?

From another site and discussion about today's events...

My dad was in the garages when the team got back. He got a first hand view of a very excited Hinch crew member yelling at a Firestone rep and then shaking the tire at fault. There was a clear rattle during that. The tire was taken apart by Firestone and the offending part was placed in a bag and taken away. My dad tried to figure out what it was but neither the Hinch guys nor the Firestone people would say what it was. Hope it isn’t this way, but the tone and word choice of the Hinch crew makes it sound like Firestone might have dropped the ball on this one.

watching on dvr:

how the fuck was davison not black flagged by race control to fix his obviously non-working car?  dude was 10 mph slower than everyone else and in the racing line.  i saw that wreck coming 30 laps ago

Edited by elfenix