San Antonio Spurs 2020-21 Season Thread: Puro Pinche Loteria

Kermit

Wasn't able to watch. Is there a reason we lost to Houston who were without Wall and Harden? 

Checked box score. So Sterling Brown dropped 23 on us. Cool. (Honestly super pumped for him - he's an SMU guy. But holy fuck how do we lose against that roster?)

12 games in and there's a lot to be pleased about overall.  I'm not really judging this team for record because they're not a realistic contender and therefore making the playoffs or not, isn't really a function of whats happening.  

1.  The young guys are developing besides Samanic, who has his ass planted on the bench.  Still, DJM has had a strong season in his 2nd after the knee and while he'll never be a great shooter, he continues to grow into a very competent game manager.  Keldon is gonna be a great glue dude.  Guy that does it all -- rebounds, plays D, steals, gets extra possessions, scores some, hits a few 3's.  I see a lot of Shawn Marion in his game.  Exciting.  Vassell is a rookie but he's doing well without a real training camp and abridged offseason.  Hello Lonnie.  He's the guy who's really taken a step lately and you can see the potential in his game.  3rd year so he needed to show he belonged and could be a starter in the league.  Still needs to be more active on D, but offensively, he can create his own shot better than most on this team.

2.  Most of the vets have shown they can still play.  Demar and Patty specifically have had fast starts and teams can use both.  LMA hasn't started as quickly but he's shown flashes and I think is showing he still has some juice left.  We should trade all 3.  Rudy is probably the guy who's looking the oldest.  He's had a few games where he's looked okay, but not sure he'll have a market in trades.  

3.  We still haven't unlocked the 3 point advantage.  We're 24th in 3 made despite being top 12 in percentage.  We just don't take enough for the modern NBA.  Some of that has to do with DJM and Demar not being prolific 3 guys.  Demar has taken a step forward but he still averages less 1 made 3 a game.  Getting Derrick back should help.

4.  Where do we go in trying to improve?  We're going to have a ton of cap space available next summer.  We have tons of guards and wings who flash starter level potential but not superstar level potential (DJM, Keldon, Lonnie, DW, Vassell).  Right now we're a barbell bond strategy with young guys and old guys but no prime guys.  I'm still in the camp of selling the old guys and trying to find young players who are devalued because of injury or rotations, preferably a big 4/5 who can run, play some D and maybe step out and hit some J's.  But we need to try and upgrade the talent.  Bradley Beal if he wants out?  KAT?  Same thing, he'd have to ask out.  Myles Turner or Sabonis?  That intrigues me.  Aaron Gordon/Bamba?  Meh.  Injured guys?  Isaac.  Dinwiddie.  I've seen Siakam rumored but don't really believe it.  Portland and Nets have injuries and need some veteran contributors for ring chasers...... Where and who can we improve with?

Edited by Patrick Bateman
  • Hook 'Em 3

Great post Bateman.  I agree with everything but the three point shooting.  I think they’ve done fine in terms of volume and efficiency.  My biggest take away this season is the offense looks a bit complicated or overly orchestrated for today’s game.  When it’s locked in and everyone is in rhythm it is a thing of beauty.  But when parts of machine are out of sorts or Aussie chucker is missing everything the offense really bogs down and makes everything so difficult.  Last night’s game was a prime example of that, in my opinion.  The Rocket scrub team was unpredictable and seemed to unnecessarily disrupt the flow on offense.  This team also really needs that 4/5 who can clean up defensive misses at the rim.  It’s not Jakob - although I like him fine off the bench as part of a hustle group. 

Trade any of the vets (LMA, DD, Chucker, Rudy) if the returning assets make sense cap wise and for team build, otherwise let the young guns start figuring out how to win together.  

15 hours ago, Hate said:

It's my fault guys.  That was the most I've watched a game in long while.  I won't watch anymore.  I'll go back to just following the thread. 

no its my fault.

I didn't watch until like 5 mins left cuz we was up by like 7 or something... 

then well.. my fault.. not yours.

God, how I hate the Rockets. Also, please for the love of God trade Patty Mills. Please. I’m done. Done with his ill-advised shots, shit defense, obvious flops, stupid stick legs, coffee gang bullshit. There are times when he comes through, but he can do that shit for someone else. I’ll even help him pack. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Kermit said:

God, how I hate the Rockets. Also, please for the love of God trade Patty Mills. Please. I’m done. Done with his ill-advised shots, shit defense, obvious flops, stupid stick legs, coffee gang bullshit. There are times when he comes through, but he can do that shit for someone else. I’ll even help him pack. 

I've been done with him for awhile and I know I trashed him plenty in last years game thread. Probably 2 years ago, too. People defend him and tell me he's still a decent player but I'm with you. He's such a fucking beating possession by possession. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Kermit said:

This game is making me drink...more. Fuck, I really like Wood...er...Christian Wood. That creep can roll, man. Or is it just against the Spurs? 

No.  He's a very skilled offense player.  In last year's thread I begged a few times for us to pick him up or trade for him...... he would be a perfect 4/5 for this team but RC sort of sucks at rebuilding.

2 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

No.  He's a very skilled offense player.  In last year's thread I begged a few times for us to pick him up or trade for him...... he would be a perfect 4/5 for this team but RC sort of sucks at rebuilding.

Well that’s just great. You should apply for that drunkard’s job. 

1 minute ago, Kermit said:

Well that’s just great. You should apply for that drunkard’s job. 

Ha.  I'd be terrible but I've like Wood upside since he came out of UNLV.  Reportedly he had attitude problems because I couldn't understand for the life of me why he didn't get drafted.  I haven't read any attitude or effort issues since he's come into the league, but he's had to earn it every step of the way.  A couple of years ago he flashed in New Orleans for the final half dozen games or whatever.  He should have been an easy claim off waivers.  We could have traded trash for him but instead..... we signed Trey Lyles after the Morris flirtation.  Meh.  I'm serious about RC/Pop sucking at rebuilding though.

6 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Ha.  I'd be terrible but I've like Wood upside since he came out of UNLV.  Reportedly he had attitude problems because I couldn't understand for the life of me why he didn't get drafted.  I haven't read any attitude or effort issues since he's come into the league, but he's had to earn it every step of the way.  A couple of years ago he flashed in New Orleans for the final half dozen games or whatever.  He should have been an easy claim off waivers.  We could have traded trash for him but instead..... we signed Trey Lyles after the Morris flirtation.  Meh.  I'm serious about RC/Pop sucking at rebuilding though.

Well, yeah. You’ve been arguing this shot for years. They’re instituting half-measures. We need a rip down.

5 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

I'm serious about RC/Pop sucking at rebuilding though.

Pop hasn't done it in 25 fucking years and last time he just drafted a top 10 player of all time. 

I mean, really, think about it - Pop has never DONE a rebuild. We made the playoffs every God damn year starting with Duncan's rookie year until last season. The first title was from DRob returning from injury, lucking into the first pick, and Duncan being one of the greatest 2nd year players in NBA history. The 2nd title was putting just enough around Duncan to enable him to drag our ass all the way there. The 3rd and 4th titles were from nailing the Parker and Ginobili draft picks. The 5th title was more Duncan and beautiful roster construction and winning the Kawhi trade. 

All of that was brought to fruition in part due to brilliant coaching, no doubt, but Pop has never taken a below average team/roster and built it into a contender through lottery picks and FA moves. This is hilariously (ironically?) uncharted waters for him. There's no 50-win floor anymore. 

On 1/16/2021 at 5:15 PM, Kermit said:

But @Kermit the Spurs won the game. And Patty usually tears my team a new one. And historically he is far from being the biggest flopper in the history of the Spurs franchise.  

2 hours ago, ztejas said:

Here's my biggest issue with Patty:

20210118_123233.jpg.5d844ef4aa1685ae7c9e4e6ff7ff28b6.jpg

DeMar by comparison:

20210118_123213.jpg.234f1ea28eae4715cc8dac536e15fe47.jpg

So, you don't like the fact that a small 7/8th man isn't as good as a multiple time all star who makes almost 2.5 times him?  I mean, don't get me wrong.  I hated the contract and still hate 12m per but let's have realistic expectations for the little guy.  Regardless, he's on an expiring and this is the time to move him.  If he wants to come back on a more manageable contract next year then maybe.

7 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

So, you don't like the fact that a small 7/8th man isn't as good as a multiple time all star who makes almost 2.5 times him?  I mean, don't get me wrong.  I hated the contract and still hate 12m per but let's have realistic expectations for the little guy.  Regardless, he's on an expiring and this is the time to move him.  If he wants to come back on a more manageable contract next year then maybe.

I think the point was the delta in wins and losses is stark with Patty. If he's hot he helps you win but he is as likely to be cold. Wildly inconsistent, whereas DeMar looks only marginally worse in losses than in wins. You can count on him at least 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Llogg said:

I think the point was the delta in wins and losses is stark with Patty. If he's hot he helps you win but he is as likely to be cold. Wildly inconsistent, whereas DeMar looks only marginally worse in losses than in wins. You can count on him at least 

I understand the point..... hence, why one is an All-Star and one is down the bench guy.  Off the bench shooters are often weather veins for a team.  When they play well, the team is probably competing or winning.  When the bench isn't, then losses occur, especially with mediocre teams like the Spurs.  Go look at a guy like Jamal Crawford's splits, the ultimate offensive bench weather vein, even when he was winning 6th man of the year or in contention.