2021 Texas Softball

Machinator

58 minutes ago, HollidayHorn said:

That will be an unreal conference. Do you think this will help recruiting? I know theres a good class coming in this year, but recruiting will have to go to another level to be able to compete with ou.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

There’s good talent in the southwest we can entice with games in their home region. Texas will be an attractive alternative for good players being wasted by Jo Evans who still want to play in the SEC

I think we’d be an upper middle pack SEC program (OU, Alabama, Florida, Arkansas, Texas/LSU) to start.  

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Js1 said:

There’s good talent in the southwest we can entice with games in their home region. Texas will be an attractive alternative for good players being wasted by Jo Evans who still want to play in the SEC

I think we’d be an upper middle pack SEC program (OU, Alabama, Florida, Arkansas, Texas/LSU) to start.  

Right on!

Gold Medal Game,  USA vs Japan, 7AM(CST) Tuesday, NBCSNH Ch1640 Uverse.    NBC has a sports app for streaming.

Perhaps @Lostman can verify times and provide further details.

If you have never seen these two teams play,  super competitive.   USA won 2-1 Sunday in the round robin game on a walkoff HR by Kelsey Stewart, former UF player.  Cat pitched in relief.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lostman said:

Yes, game time is 6:00AM, Central. On NBC Sports. And I would think a certain Longhorn would start the game, and the Vol probably close it out.  Send all the positive vibes! 

Thanks for the correction to 6AM.

2-0 Japan.     Painful to see the expressions of Cat and Monica Abbott.    Two legends.

On home soil, in an event their nation rescued from a state of Olympic neglect specifically for these Games, Japan’s softball team delivered a near flawless performance to defeat the United States 2-0 in a gold medal rematch 13 years in the making.

The pitching matchup was a poetically familiar one. 4,724 days after squaring off in the Beijing 2008 gold medal game, 38-year-old Cat Osterman and 39-year-old Ueno Yukiko shared the pitching circle once again.

Osterman, though, was unable to locate her best stuff and lasted just one batter into the third inning. Japanese batters reached base in each frame against the two-time Olympic medalist, though stellar defense from the U.S. fielders kept the game scoreless

Michele Moultrie authored one of the defensive highlights of the entire tournament in the bottom of the second, robbing Ichiguchi Yuka of an RBI extra-base hit with a spinning grab at the wall.

After Osterman began the top of the third with a walk, Team USA head coach Ken Eriksen removed the two-time Olympic medalist from the game in favor of relief pitcher Ally Carda. Osterman allowed two hits and did not record a strikeout.

Carda – with the help of second base Ali Aguilar – got the U.S. out of a third inning jam to keep Osterman’s earned run total for the tournament at zero.

In top of the fourth, though, Japan scraped across the first run of the game on an infield single by Atsumi Mana, driving in Fujita Yamato from third.

Midway through the fifth inning, Monica Abbott entered as Team USA’s third pitcher. She allowed a single to her first batter, Fujita, scoring an inherited runner to give Japan a 2-0 lead.

All along, Ueno, backed by mistake-free Japanese defense, piled up the outs. She exited after five shutout innings allowing just two hits and striking out five.

Relief pitcher Goto Miu worked into trouble in the sixth as the United States put runners on first and second. One of the wildest defensive plays in Olympic softball history got Japan out of the inning.

The U.S. did not put a runner aboard in the seventh as Ueno returned to close out the game. 

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/japan-repeats-softball-champs-13-years-apart-downing-united-states-final

Edited by torre
  • Hook 'Em 1

And just while it's on my brain, USA Softball could go 2 ways, ASSUMING softball is back in 2028.  And it would be downright embarrassing if the back-to-back silver medalists (gross) can't get softball for their own hosted games in 2028 Los Angeles.  Softball has been in 2008 (Beijing) and 2020 (Tokyo), and those are 2 pretty big softball (both host countries had a team in). 

UK (2012), Rio (2016) and Paris (2024) aren't big softball countries.  But USA has to bring it back in 2028.

And the 2 best options to lead them are:  Gasso or Alameda

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Mile High Horn said:

Why?  I don't get it.  She could be making $$$ under the new NIL rules at UT.  Someone needs to talk some sense into her.  Also, her younger sister needs to transfer from Arizona to UT.

Sometimes people just fall out of love with the game - burn out, her horrific face injury, COVID.  It's actually gross you think she should just "get some sense talked into her" and play without her heart in it to just make money.

She seems to be enjoying her new life in Birmingham away from softball.   She finished her degree in May (good for her, we all value a UT degree). 

• Hook 'Em 2

Reading her twitter,  seems to have alot of energy.    Hope she can improve  the defense.

Longhorns volunteer assistant Courtney Gettins recently accepted a full-time role at Mercer; sources confirmed that the volunteer position is the role that Parnell will fill on the Texas staff.

A former assistant coach at Division III Hardin-Simmons, Parnell most recently spent time in the private coaching and travel ball spaces, including coaching with the Texas Blaze organization. In addition to her two seasons as a graduate assistant at Hardin-Simmons, Parnell also spent one year as an assistant coach at Kilgore College.

https://justinsworldsb.com/nicole-parnell-joining-texas-coaching-staff/

I heard this morning that Miranda is going to an SEC school, already has it picked out (as I understand it).  I don't know which one, but my money is on Auburn.  Close to her GF, they have a need, and the Auburn coach has a tight connection to the travel club Miranda played for.  But War Eagle is just a guess on my part...all I was told was SEC.

Frankly I'm surprised she isn't going to Arizona with her sister.

5 minutes ago, texashorn13 said:

I heard this morning that Miranda is going to an SEC school, already has it picked out (as I understand it).  I don't know which one, but my money is on Auburn.  Close to her GF, they have a need, and the Auburn coach has a tight connection to the travel club Miranda played for.  But War Eagle is just a guess on my part...all I was told was SEC.

Frankly I'm surprised she isn't going to Arizona with her sister.

I wonder if the new UA coach wants the headache that will come with Miranda.   I could see Auburn, as she really seems to have planted some roots in Alabama. 

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

I wonder if the new UA coach wants the headache that will come with Miranda.   I could see Auburn, as she really seems to have planted some roots in Alabama. 

Locker-room headache or not she'll help about any team win more games. I don't think she would have made any of our players worse last season. We were honestly lucky just to make the S16 but with Elish I'm 95% sure we would have been in the CWS

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Locker-room headache or not she'll help about any team win more games. I don't think she would have made any of our players worse last season. We were honestly lucky just to make the S16 but with Elish I'm 95% sure we would have been in the CWS

Yup. Tough to blame Miranda for the locker-room headache part, she's not the cancer some want to paint her to be.

• 2 weeks later...